A Day At The Zoo...
Today God gave me a wonderful gift! It's June in Washington -- and it was about 70 degrees out today! THAT is a HUGE gift! I took it and thanked God profusely! I was not about to spend THIS day indoors! So I grabbed my purse and my hot pink hat, and I headed for the zoo! Lots of other people had the same idea as me, but most of them didn't seem to have time to "wait around" and see what other gifts God had to offer! But I did. (if you want to see them bigger just click on each image)First was a glimps at one of the Giant Pandas. This is the mama - Mei Xiang.

This wasn't a very good glimps... what with all that caging in the way! But I've been to the zoo MANY MANY times when I didn't get to see even THIS much of the Giant Pandas! So I took what I could get! But... God had so much more in mind today! Just look at these...
I ran around to the bottom of the exhibit... and darned if that little lady didn't follow! She let me get this great shot of her! BUT... that wasn't the best! I was really hoping to see the new BABY Panda that was born last July! And guess what? I found him!

Can you BELIEVE it? I couldn't!
(see? God had GREAT fun planned for me!)
So that's little Tai Shan ... who has apparently been climing trees for a few months now! Toooooo cute!
From the Pandas I moved on to the giraffes... they are right across the path, so it made sense... There was only ONE outside today, but he was a pretty one and if one was willing to wait long enough he was willing to accomodate us! When I first got to his area, he was back hidden behind some fencing having a little snack. But I waited, and eventually he did come out.

He says "Let me just strrrrreeeeeetch and show you how tall I CAN be!" Isn't he pretty?
And right around the corner from there I found this little fella!
This is the baby elephant. I don't know where mom and pops were today - but they sure weren't out minding the little guy! Just moments after I snapped this he turned hiney end toward the crowd and showed how elephants poop! I was giggling over some of the little kids reactions to that! It was funny!I didn't want to go inside any of the buildings today ... but NONE of the monkeys were outside. So I went in the ape house, only to be very disappointed. There are about 12 enclosures for monkeys in there -- and I HATE seeing animals kept in those enclosures anyway... I really HATE it -- but I found that only 2 of them DID have animals in them. Now if none were outside, and only two were inside... then where the heck are all the monkeys? And of course, since there were only two the crowds around them were CRAZY - and pushy! I wasn't being bothered with this on my BEAUTIFUL day! So... sorry... no monkeys! ( I know... I was disappointed too ... so I know just how you feel! )
But look here! I found a tiger out in his play yard. He wasn't terribly playful... just kinda lounging around, Lording over his domain... typical cat!
I'll tell ya though ... a lot of people would be so sad if they new that just MOMENTS after they all took off, the caretaker called him inside. And while HE was inside, SHE came out and hid a lamb shank in his yard! Then she let him back out. Boy was I glad I had just hung out there with that ol' tiger!
Here, he smelled the food, but he hadn't found it yet. He was "hunting"!
And of course, he DID find it, and was greatly enjoying it!

But I won't BORE you with all 47 pictures I took of him! We'll stop at 4! You can thank me later!

This little (ha!) lady is the tiger's next door neighbor. When I was done with him I went to check on her. The nice lady who had just given HIM his lamb shank, had given HER a burlap bag filled with straw! (is this fair?) Well, apparently this is the lion's version of catnip! She LIKED this bag of straw! When she first got it she grabbed it and ran back behind some bushes and hid. I tried nicely to explain to her that it was no fun for US if she stayed in the bushes. She was amazing level headed about this and brought her little sack back out to show us! I took about a million (maybe less) pictures of her too -- but for some reason they are ALL blurry! Must have something to do with a Lioness on Catnip! This one was the best of the bunch! It will have to do!
That was all of the big major animals I saw today. But I also saw a few little critters that I wanted to share...

This is called a "Red Panda" ... but really, I think it looks more like a little foxxy furball! He too had just recently been left with these little slices of apple and he seemed pretty happy about it!

And then there's these little beavers. They really weren't too "busy" today - I think they get Sundays off! They were just playing around in the pool mostly! But they were awfully cute, and I thought they deserved a few more leaves to nibble on seeing as how they kept me pretty well entertained for about half an hour!

And last... I took a self portrait -- cuz I knOw you wondering about my hot pink hat! I actually have one of these in just about every color and my kids tease me unmercifully about them! But I LIKE them... and I don't care if I AM a redhead ... I'll wear hot pink if I want to! I hope you enjoyed our trip to the zoo today! I know I did!







17 comment(s):
Oh, Lucky you!
I can't wait to see more
By
PJ, at
6/11/2006 9:03 PM
Love your hat!!! Nice photos. Thanks for sharing them.
Wish you have a great week ahead.
By
Viamarie, at
6/12/2006 2:01 AM
You look happy so what is wrong with the hat? You probably need it for the sun anyway...right? Nice picture..It is good to see just who we are talking too anyway!! Glad you had a great day and thanks for the pictures....
By
Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at
6/12/2006 7:00 AM
*panting*...I ran all the way here!! I saw that you posted you went to the zoo and saw pandas! They're one of my favorite critters. AND Tigers!!!!!!!! Wow, what great pictures of tigers!!! Love them too. And the Red Panda...we had one in Colorado Springs Cheyenne Mountain zoo, and every time we went there with the kids, it was always nearly hidden in the rock crevices, so this is an exceptional day for me...I got to see one in full view from your blog!!
Great day at the zoo Melli!!
By
Anonymous, at
6/12/2006 8:46 AM
Oh, isn't the zoo fun? I haven't been to see the baby panda yet, shame on me. I always liked the painted animal footprints on the walkways, but they're long faded now.
And the pink hat is very cute. Mothers embarrass their kids no matter what they're wearing. :)
By
Carmen, at
6/12/2006 9:16 AM
Hey Melli! Thanks for sharing your trip! The panda bears are sooo cute! All of the animals. Cool that you got to see the tiger during meal time. And the lioness. :) I'm at a new address:
http://0ceanlady.wordpress.com/
because of heavy traffic during tt, ww, and mm days. I love your pink hat and sunglasses! :)
By
Anonymous, at
6/12/2006 3:16 PM
I've got a pink hat just like that--but it's been awhile since I've been to the zoo. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visting my MM.
By
Norma, at
6/12/2006 4:36 PM
I so enjoyed the trip to your zoo! The pictures were great and the trip relaxed me so much after a hard day at work.
By
Anonymous, at
6/12/2006 8:16 PM
Sounds like you know how to have fun Melli. Love your hat!
By
Unknown, at
6/12/2006 9:28 PM
OK just sent a note and it wasn't accepted! I hate that! ;) Anyhow, wish I was there aunti m. Sounds like a lovely day!! I watched that wee laddie grow up, via webcam. So amazing to see him high in a tree now!! Miss you bunches!
By
Unknown, at
6/13/2006 12:03 AM
Wow is this your community? Ha! Great shots...I especially loved the one in your hot pink hat! You can really see your weight loss in your face. You go girl!
By
Lazy Daisy, at
6/13/2006 7:03 AM
Oh, love your photos (and your hat!) - they made me feel like being to the zoo which was a long time ago!
Somehow I just adore elephants, they seems to be so wise and family oriented.
I've never seen or heard of that "red panda". Very interesting. How funny it looks.
By
Anonymous, at
6/13/2006 4:10 PM
Oh, Melli, you do have a pink hat! how wonderful. Loved the trip to the zoo, I always wanted to see a panda in real life, they are soooo cute. Great pics. Thanks for taking us along!
By
MaR, at
6/13/2006 4:18 PM
I just posted a long comment but lost it by accident. I'm going home and cry. I'll be back, I love the animals. Bless you. Good for you showing the kids it's okay to be different.
By
diet dilemma magmem style, at
6/14/2006 1:53 AM
You look great in hot pink!
By
Lynda, at
6/14/2006 2:45 PM
Mahalo for sharing your trip to the zoo. I enjoyed it very much.
And yes, you can wear hot pink if you want! I love pink. It's one of my favorite colors. :)
By
Anonymous, at
6/14/2006 10:57 PM
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. affiliate tracking mobile marketing company veretekk.veremail.comjbartholomew Microlaser win celebrex http://www.internet-marketing-course-3.info/affiliate-program.html read reviews on buspirone slime basketball Trucker tv antennas bi orgys web host affiliate program affiliate programs webmaster resource affiliate make net program Contact+lens+cleaner+itchy+eyes paris hilton naked video If i could turn back time share lyrics Bulk email from your desktop Low sofa Hostave2 net homemadevids anal hardcore 115 bontril A big picture of a soccer ball Hp photo printer 230 Oldsmobile part number list Accutane online discounted purchasing
By
Anonymous, at
3/02/2007 10:44 PM
Post a comment
<< Home