.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Knocking My Head Against The Wall...

WHY DO I always do things the hard way?

Dennis and I jusssst wanted a couple of hours in which to talk. That's all. So when we gave mom her night time meds we added one tiny little additional pill. Just an over the counter sleep aid... something to make bed time come just a little bit earlier tonight. (she hangs in until we go to bed every night... and we're just not used to this... ) So we gave her a pill. The LAST one in my house. (this is important) ...

... Because ... at 3:00 am I was suddenly awakened by Derek -- who is prone to anxiety attacks and who is OUT of his Xanax (anti-anxiety meds) and has no more refills. He's not actually having a panic attack... but he can't sleep. He wonders do I have a sleeping pill. I wonder if this is God's way of saying "shame on you". Soooooo after tearing the house apart looking everywhere for just ONE MORE teeny tiny little sleep aid... you know... hiding in a purse or a pocket or waaaaay in the back of a medicine chest... and not finding one... I hit the road. Because, you know, one does NOT stop being a "mom" when one becomes a Nana OR a daughter-in-law... so I slipped on my Mom Hat, and I trudged out, into the rainy night in search of a sleeping pill.

First I drove 13 miles south to Town A... where the Giant Food USED to be open all night. It wasn't. But the night crew WAS out in the parking lot ... playing frisbee in the rain. They did invite me to play. I declined. Another time maybe - but right now I have a kid in need a sleep aid. ... ... Well, it's Christmas season - Walmart should be doing there 24 / 7 thing, right? Nope. They were closed up tight. Seems the world has gotten wise this year and decided they can accomplish all their Christmas shopping between the hours of 8:00 am and 11:00 pm. WAY TO GO World! I'm so proud of them! But why THIS year??? Surely sOMeplace has got to be open ... but no. Safeway was closed. Rite-Aid was not only closed - but DARK as well! Wow.

Okay... well, admittedly, Town A is just a little po-dunk town, so I drove north past Home Town, and continued 13 miles in the other direction to Town B. I don't know what I was thinking... we are still in the same county! So, no... the Giant, Safeway, Walmart and CVS in Town B were all closed up tight too. And now I'm thinking I might have to drive 35 miles up the road to BIG CITY to get the boy ONE lousy little sleeping pill. So, I call home and I ask him... do you really think this is going to be necessary? Can you maybe stay awake for 3 more hours until the grocery stores DO open? Or will we have a full blown anxiety attack by then? It's so hard to know with matters of the mind WHAT's going to happen. Anyway... he says no... he doesn't want me to go all the way to Big City... but Mom, doesn't 7-11 have any? Silly boy. 7-11 is a convenience store - not a drug store. No babe... 7-11 barely carries an aspirin. But I'll stop and SEE on my way back -- maybe they'll have something we can use!

Sooooo... 13 miles south back to Home Town... in the rain... at now 3:45 am... I stop in at the 7-11 (which happens to be 4 miles from my house) ... and on the first aisle as I walk in the door, what should stare me in the face but a bright blue box with the words Simply Sleep printed in white. 7-11 has come a looooong way baby! Just wish I'd realized it 45 minutes sooner... *sigh*

I'm going back to bed now... g'night.

14 comment(s):

Oh, Melli -- my heart goes out to you, but I'm smiling at the same time. Your writing makes even these situations entertaining to read. :-)

I did wonder about convenience stores part way through -- glad you finally found what you needed! And I hope you get to sleep a little later today.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/08/2007 7:47 AM  

Well....Melli,what us mothers will do for our kids....Did the pill work for MIL??? You and Dennis could take a shower together to talk../ away from MIL......Love and hugs, Baba

By Blogger Baba, at 12/08/2007 9:10 AM  

P.S. I have a bloggy award for you today. :-)

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/08/2007 9:48 AM  

What a good Mama! Derek knows he can count on you!
To answer your question about Venezuela, the changes Chavez wanted to make were voted down...HALLELUIA!!
He will try again but for now, he cannot be president for life.
Thanks SO much for your prayers. God answers the fervent prayers of His people.

By Blogger Jane, at 12/08/2007 10:41 AM  

Doesn't Baba have the BEST ideas? *snicker* Bless your heart, girl!!! I feel awful for you...sleep deprivation doesn't go over well at this house!!! I hope you get caught up!
Love you!!! (HUGS)

By Blogger Jennifer, at 12/08/2007 10:41 AM  

Oh geez Melli ! what a mom you are you should get all golden globes, cesars, chicken or whatever award in platine for that !! I don't know if I had done this but of course I don't now either how bad these attacks are. You certainly didn't do it for fun. We don't get sleeping pills in a normal store you have to go to the pharmacy for that and with a prescription of the doctor.
BTW my little Jesus story I think I wrote here in your comments and afterwards I thought I could write a little post about it. But my Altzenheimer is progressing too, I forgot to close the garage door yesterday night and we slept with the door open. Now burgler honored us with his visit !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 12/08/2007 10:49 AM  

Hi Melli. I admire how you went out of your way to get that pill for your son. I take sleep for granted and I guess I should be thankful that I don't have a hard time sleeping.

Take care!

By Blogger Heart of Rachel, at 12/08/2007 12:20 PM  

Melli, you and Dennis need to redo your bedroom with a little sitting area so you can pretend to go to bed earlier, but really just go in your room and close the door at least until MIL is in zzzzzzzz-land.

-Quilly

By Blogger OC or Q, at 12/08/2007 2:19 PM  

Poor lady!! I could have told you that they carry that. One time when we were on a camping trip and we had our granddaughter she could not sleep in midnight...1:00 something like that. My daughter and I went looking and looking and finally found it at a 7-11!! So glad it worked itself out...I bet you slept in late, that is if you could...sorry about all the messed up night...Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 12/08/2007 3:17 PM  

OK call me crazy, but you should have snapped a picture and posted this for LONG!! Cause girlfriend you had a LONG night with a LONG drive!!

God bless 7-11...who knew???

By Blogger Susan, at 12/08/2007 3:45 PM  

Well, I don't know if I would have gone to all that trouble...you sure get an a+ for helping Derek out.

And, I LOVE your long photo dear Melli.

NOW don't wake up fully just for me......go back to bed and REST!!!! ;o)

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 12/08/2007 4:58 PM  

well sweet heart... what can I say? but have you lost your mind?

I bet the next day you bought the deluxe bottle with buy one get one free.. so that you never run out again... LOL

I was feeling your pain as I'm about to fall asleep as it's midnight and I have to get up early...

blessings Melli

By Blogger Connie Barris, at 12/09/2007 12:10 AM  

It always happens that way, doesn't it???
xo
LBC

By Blogger Ladybug Crossing, at 12/09/2007 7:47 AM  

Good post.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2008 1:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home