.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wordzzle.... and stuff...

The Wordzzle Challenge is hosted each week by Raven


10 Word: blinking, cellulite, crescent, ship-shape, homonym, suffering, packer, wind chime, scissors, necklace

I was stopped at the blinking light, contemplating whether the weather was way to warm since the humidity was weighing down my curls... and other such homonyms of life... when the suffering speedster behind me sat on his horn! Snapping out of my thoughts, I hit the gas and then wondered why I had bothered to stop for a blinking light? Must have been another senior moment. All the more reason to get myself back to the gym! They say that exercise keeps a mind fit as well as the body... if my brain is developing the same kind of cellulite my thighs have, I'm in deep doo doo! A few extra pilates will get this belly ship-shape! Ugh... right now it's more like crescent shaped! Sometimes I wish I could just take the scissors and cut the stupid flab off! My meat packer sister offered to do the job for me... offered me a free breast reduction too! But I need them! Who else could wear this wind chime necklace? No 36 C, that's for sure!!!


Mini Challenge: static, floppy hat, penguin, cinnamon, alphabetical

There once was a penguin with static
Who found a floppy hat in the attic
With a cinnamon wide brim
And alphabetical trim
Her waddle became quite dramatic!


Annnnnnd a MEGA...

Once upon a time (all good stories start that way) there was a little penguin. Pete. Pete the penguin. No no... that's much too obvious... Stanley. Stanley the penguin. Stanley was a very smart penguin! He could name all his cousin penguins in alphabetical order ... and he knew how to correctly use the most common homonyms too! (sometimes he got confused on sewer and suer - but then he'd never been sued, so that's understandable.) Every morning for breakfast Stanley ate eight slices of cinnamon toast. He loved cinnamon toast more than that cereal with crescent moons and 4 leaf clovers! The only problem with this was that he was starting to develop a little cellulite under his tail feathers. Stanley didn't mind a little cellulite. (He reasoned that he wasn't trying to wear a bikini, and in arctic temperatures, cellulite could probably only be a good thing!) The other thing that Stanley loved was participating in the annual snow and ice sliding contests! Stanley was actually a 3x Grand Champion in the Scissors Sling and he would be defending his title on the Necklace Loop Track this year! The Necklace Loop was his favorite! He spent hours out by the track watching the Packers pack the ice good and tight and smooth it to perfection. Stanley dreamed about whisking down that last slope through the finish line! Ice sliding was in his blood! He knew the competition was stiff - but Stanley spent hours every single day on the practice ice perfecting his form and getting himself ship-shape for the event!

On the morning of the big race, Stanley got up extra early. (He was much too excited to sleep) He preened every feather into place, and brushed his beak, and ate his eight slices of cinnamon toast. While he was eating something happened. First one little tail feather sprang up. Then a wing feather ruffled. And then a couple of belly feathers popped loose. Ohhhhhh NO! Stanley was suffering from a case of Feather Flare! (Feather Flare is aerodynamically fatal to an ice slider!) Blinking back tears of frustration, he did the only thing that would come to mind at a time like this. He phoned Mom! She told him not to worry - but to meet him at the track and she would bring the cure! Stanley put a lot of trust in his Mom, but if this didn't work he was one trussed penguin! He donned a big floppy hat, in hopes that no one would recognize him, and headed over to the Loop. Sure enough, Mom was there, can in hand! They went into the locker igloo and she sprayed him down with Static Guard. She warned him that this was just a temporary fix. It would get him through the race, but he would have to change his diet! (He needed more protein and less carbohydrates! Penguins are fish eaters for a reason! It keeps their feathers smooth and sleek!) They quickly re-preened him and he was at the gate just in time! The race started with the sound of the ... wind chime?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since yesterday was a bit drizzly I was not able to work on my cabinets... so instead I scrubbed all the hardware for them and then started putting COLOR on the walls! Oh my gosh! It is sooooooo BRIGHT!!! SOOOOOOOOOOO bright! Talk about a sunny day! LOL! When this kitchen is done, being UNcheerful in it will be UNlawful! On Nov. 5th, whichever party loses, they're all being invited to my kitchen for a cheering up party! hehehe... IF it's ready by then! In a related happenstance, my left knee has become suddenly swollen and hurts.... *sigh* Now I got a bum elbow AND a bum knee -- both lefts! This is getting funner and funner!

Amanda texted around 1:00 and said she & Luz were coming up and did I wanna go have lunch? TWIST my arm! I painted until a good breaking point and then we went to Green Turtle for buffalo chicken salad! YUM! (NOT low fat... but sooooooo yummy!)

We no sooner got back than Mom and Vada arrived home and it was time to take Derek to work. So Mom got out of one car and into another and off we went! By the way... driving Derek to work everyday is NOT a problem. But picking him up at midnight every night is getting really REALLY old - especially when the driver has to get up early the next day with Mom! Would y'all mind saying some prayers that the MVA will HURRY UP and reinstate his driver's license? He has sent in all the paperwork -- they are just sloooooooooow.

Okay... I'm off to ice and elevate Knee now! Chow!

Labels:

17 comment(s):

You did great! I loved the Stanley story and your poem and your homonyms... This was a really difficult set of words, I think. Next week's mini is from you and the 10 words are a mix of me, Chatty and my 11-year-old neighbor (build a bear and man bites dog).

Glad your kitchen is coming along. I'd love to redo my kitchen... but I'll have to win the lottery first, I'm afraid.

By Blogger Raven, at 10/18/2008 1:57 AM  

My goodness this kitchen is hard work ! Why is Denis not allowed to drive ? I must have missed something. I know what it is to stay up until midnight because of driving, at the beginning of our marriage Mr. Gattino worked from 12 until 6 am in the Hilton Brussels, I had to drive him to work !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 10/18/2008 3:25 AM  

You did a great job with homonym - I really struggled and I love your mini poem!
Stanley the Penguin was a great story. I wonder if I eat more fish will it make my hair smooth and sleek? :)

By Blogger Akelamalu, at 10/18/2008 6:38 AM  

That salad sounds great. Maybe not lowfat but yummy!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2008 7:21 AM  

These were very good Melli. I think I liked the mini best,the cinnamon brim stand out for me. But then I really enjoyed Stanley's story too. Have a good weekend :)

By Blogger Lu', at 10/18/2008 7:50 AM  

If I had a floppy hat I would take it off to you.
That poem was out of this world and the two stories were magnificent ( except you stole my line from the elf stories you know which one I mean)
Otherwise I can not find enough good words to describe them. Sometime I'll have to have you guest write a Pigeon Falls episaode.
Am praying for your knee.

By Blogger Dr.John, at 10/18/2008 9:21 AM  

I liked your poem and the homonyms. Take care of that knee.

By Blogger bettygram, at 10/18/2008 9:33 AM  

There once was a writer named Melli
Suffering with a cellulite belly
She was a painter not a packer
A blinking homonym backer
Stuck us with scissors and wind chime
And crescent so hard to rhyme
But her poem’s ship-shape
Shiny like a necklace of grape
Cause she used of words just five
Well it kept her alive
Best I could do

By Blogger Dr.John, at 10/18/2008 9:57 AM  

I thought I commented last night, but I guess I didn't!! That knee sounds scary -- take care of it. Maybe a day or two off from painting would be good?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2008 10:01 AM  

I love your stories this week. Especially your poem and the Mega - and that you followed through on the penguin motif. I hope Stanley won!

By Blogger Chatty, at 10/18/2008 10:19 AM  

wow at dr.john's comment!!

melli I don't know where to start!! I love Stanley. What a sweet and ambitious penguin

the mini limerick is delightful

and I think you were reading my mind from the last time I stopped at a blinking light

brava melli!

By Blogger Dianne, at 10/18/2008 1:17 PM  

Great job Melli!
Loved the penguin story and static guard!

My little odd ending just didn't come off like I hoped. Little Ginny was referring to her blocks when she said 'static.' She couldn't say 'stack it' - uh! Next week! :)

By Blogger Carletta, at 10/18/2008 2:10 PM  

Stanley the Penquin was a really great story. And feather flare, brilliant.

Creative juices are obviously flowing. Keep it up.

Rich

By Blogger Richard, at 10/18/2008 2:13 PM  

Frozen peas work great as knee icing!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2008 3:53 PM  

I loved Stanley the penguin!!! I wish I had as much imagination as you have!

By Blogger Jientje, at 10/18/2008 4:30 PM  

I absolutely STINK at this kind of stuff...

Quilly is right,, frozen peas are a great ice pak... much better than eating them... LOL...on an hour off an hour...

did I mention I stink at word puzzles..

you obviously are awesome

love ya girl
Connie

By Blogger Connie Barris, at 10/18/2008 6:38 PM  

You are so very creative. I love your stories.

Boy between your knee and Sandy's leg, the bloggers aren't doing so well. Hope that it is feeling better soon.

Hugs,

Susan

By Blogger Susan, at 10/19/2008 8:06 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home