.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mr. 22 ...

Mathew & Luz in Ocean City last summer.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOY!!!

My Mathew has a birthday today. Twenty two years ago today - well... 22 years ago YESTERDAY, I went to the hospital (after having been truly "in labor" for a week already) to be induced. Amanda waited as impatiently as a child could at home with our next door neighbors. Dennis and I arrived around 8:30 a.m. - they were going to start inducing promptly at 9:00! We expected to have a baby before supper! I should have known better. LOL! I had been to the doctors office every day for the past week - with real live contractions. I had been monitored and released each and every day. I had been to the hospital and sent home... everytime, the contractions would stop. It was crazy! As soon as I would get home, the contractions would start again! But they never got worse, and they never got closer... and soooo after a week I was HAPPY to be induced! Until it happened! Pitocin is evil. Did anyone ever you tell you that? I don't know if they've come up with a kinder gentler form of inducement (induction?) in recent years... but 22 years ago, Pitocin was the drug of choice, and it made a HARD labor. OR it could have been my stubborn son! But it was probably a cominbation of the two! At any rate, they did indeed start the Pit Drip at 9:00 ... and 13 hours later when I absolutely could not bear another MOMENT of it, I finally conceded to an epidurmal! Good thing I did - because he still wasn't ready! The whole thing is really still a bit of a blur to me -- but at sOMe point during the evening, I won the debate as to whether his middle name would be David or Jordan. Due to the agonizing pain of this particular labor I ended up vomiting. (what, I don't know because I had had NOTHING to eat...) At that point, Dennis looked at me and said "if it's a boy he can be Jordan!" ... And so it was! I'd EARNED it! I was still earning it! He did not finally arrive in the world until 1:51 am on Sunday! SUPER BOWL Sunday! Denver beat the Giants! (these are the things mother's remember...) Anyway... we counted his fingers and we counted his toes, and we proclaimed him Perfect. hehehehe.... He IS perfect! God doesn't make mistakes. Dennis went home to grab a few hours of sleep, and Amanda. What he didn't count on was that while we had been having all this fun, it has SNOWED outside! And it wasn't just a little dusting! It was about 8-10 inches worth! Dennis made it home, but had to shovel his way IN to our driveway. He went in, celebrated her new brother with Amanda, got some sleep, and woke up to find that ANOTHER huge storm had deposited another 6-8 inches and he had to shovel out again in order to bring her to the hospital! I was totally oblivious to all this. I was sitting cozy in a warm hospital bed with a darling perfect Mathew (with ONE "t") Jordan on my lap! All I knew was life was good! MY part of the work was over! Or so I thought.

Mathew Jordan was/is/and will always be an awesome baby/boy/man. He is/was/and always will be ALSO a handful! Mathew has always viewed life from the Happy side! When Mathew smiles, his whole face smiles! He has eyes that become half moons when he smiles and it just makes YOU smile too! When he was 3 and 4 and 5 he wanted to be a super-hero! Back then it had more to do with red boots and a long cape. He still wants to be a super-hero! But now it has more to do with wanting the world to be perfect. At least HIS part of it! Mathew does not accept the world as it is "just because"... and that is a good thing. He questions EVERYTHING. And that is a good thing. He is verrrrrry slow to conform to socieity's standards... and that can be good... it can also make life hard. Mathew's life is often hard. BUT... Mathew is a ponderer. I can remember when he was 12 or 13, Pinky & The Brain was a popular children's cartoon. Mathew LOVED Pinky & the Brain! And his favorite line was when Brain would say "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"... and of course, Pinky would reply... "I think so, Brain ... but... [insert something obscure!]" Mathew loves to ponder. Pondering is a very good thing! Lots of learning goes on during a good ponder! Mathew is doing a lot of pondering these days. On his 21st birthday he was on a major Peak in his life. He had a job that he loved, a woman he loved, a nice apartment in an upscale high-rise, a fairly new car -- things were jusssssst goin' good! On his 22nd birthday he is in a valley. The job fell with the declining dollar (he was in furniture sales), he and the woman split (but have reunited), he is now living with his sister to share rent and ease everyone's financial burdens, he would like "less" car with a lower payment. I'm watching Mathew turn 22, and I'm impressed. When I was 22 I was in a deep DEEP valley myself. That was actually probably THE lowest time in my existence on this planet! But I had "the stuff" that wreaks survivor... And Mathew does too! And by 23 I was well on my way back UP the mountain! And I bet that by January 25th, 2010, Mathew will be climbing back up the mountain too! I know he will! He's got the right STUFF!

Labels:

14 comment(s):

You know, having someone who believes in you wins about 99% of all life's battles. Mathew can't help but come out on top with you behind him!

Happy Birthday Mathew. May this coming year bring you happiness and joy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2009 1:06 AM  

First of all a very happy birthday to Mathew (with one T) and all the best !
I can imagine that you remember when he entered this world. With me it was completely different. I gave birth but I don't know nothing. I had a cesaerian and at that time they put you completely asleep. I found a baby boy only the next day.
21 was a very important date when I was that age, because you became of legal age. Today it's 18. Mathew leads already the life of an adult man. Dario was still at school and had nothing else in his head but going out, dancing and amusement !
Mathew is a very handsome redhead !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 1/25/2009 1:08 AM  

Let me be the first one to wish Mathew a "happy birthday"....I hope he enjoys his special day with family.He has a great and loving mom and dad, he will pull himself up and make something good in his life..
Hugs, Baba

By Blogger Baba, at 1/25/2009 1:10 AM  

Happy Birthday Mathew Jordan. You are a very fortunate young man to have mom who believes in you with her whole heart.
I hope he has a WONDERFUL day.

By Blogger Jane, at 1/25/2009 7:35 AM  

Mathew with one "T"....I do the same thing with our boy...it's Erik with a "K". LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATHEW!!!!

Loved how you shared with the world on how he came into the world of the living outside the womb. What a great story. And the snow? Whoa....I'd be content to stay in the hospital 'til Spring if that'd been the case with me and my newborn.

He's a sweet looking boy....errrrr, um, MAN!!!

You did good Melli [and Dennis]---he's a handsome one.

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 1/25/2009 8:05 AM  

I posted another comment below on your 'tea day'. :o)

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 1/25/2009 8:09 AM  

A very Happy Birthday to Mathew!! And what a great week you have for birthdays!! Luz must love the TWO cakes in one week... LOL I know I would.

Please stop by my blog and pick up an award.

By Blogger carol g, at 1/25/2009 2:50 PM  

Happy birthday to Matthew...we share a great day..Only 45 years ago today mike and I were married!! Take care..Miss coming by..need to get my act together..smile!!
Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 1/25/2009 5:42 PM  

Happy Birthday to your Mathew. And to you too. I think we mother's deserve to celebrate as well, after all we did all the work, right???

By Blogger Maribeth, at 1/25/2009 6:49 PM  

Happy Birthday to Mathew with one T. What a nice tribute you have written for him.

By Blogger Dr.John, at 1/25/2009 7:10 PM  

Happy Birthday to Mathew! I don't think I have ever seen it with one T before. he's unique. :-)

I was induced with my last one 15 years ago. It was more intense than my first two, but not bad. It actually kind of helped -- my contractions tended to peter out towards the end, when most people's are pretty intense. They had to start pitocin each time, this time just a lot earlier in the process (or later -- he was 13 days overdue).

Mathew sounds like my oldest in that he is also a pondered, questions everything, doesn't tow the "party line" of anything. He also loved Pinky and the Brain! But my younger two are more happy/smiley.

Sounds like a wonderful son to be proud of! Hope he has a great year!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2009 8:06 PM  

Gotta say WOW - what a great way to celebrate the birthday of your child!

But something I have always pondered is why did we do all the work, have all the paid for them to get the presents on their birthdays.....shouldn't we get them for all our hard work? LOL....

Happy Birthday Mathew......may all your Prayers and wishes be answered to your hearts delight between now and your turning 23!

By Blogger OMH, at 1/26/2009 12:17 PM  

btw I meant pain not paid......but really aren't mommies the ones paid for raising the children, with smiles, hugs, laughs!

By Blogger OMH, at 1/26/2009 12:18 PM  

What a great tribute you wrote for your son!! Happy birthday Mathew, and the best of luck to you! You can't go wrong with a mother like Melli, that's for sure!

By Blogger Jientje, at 1/26/2009 12:26 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home