Ruby Tuesday... Modesty Revisited - (our answer) ... and STUFF!
LOL! Boy we had fun with that question yesterday! You guys are awesome! Sooooooo... ya wanna know how WE handled explaining modesty?
Well, I started out telling her that being modest is the opposite of bragging. Of course - then she said "what's bragging Nana?" -- THAT was when we realized HOW hard this was going to be! So Krysti said we should first teach what bragging IS - so that we could talk about what it's NOT! So it went sort of like this:
Amanda: Bragging is saying "I scored a goal at my game today! I scored a GOAL! I'm the BEST player on the TEAM!"
Luz: So, I shouldn't tell if I score a goal?
Nana: It's okay to SAY you scored a goal. If you just tell it as a fact, and don't make a big deal and claim to be the BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM just because you scored a goal.
Luz looked puzzled.
Nana: Luz, it's okay to say it. You scored a goal and your proud of yourself. But if you say it like Mommy said it - that's bragging. If you just tell it and don't make a big deal - that's okay. Just say "I scored a goal today!" Then people will be very happy for you and say "That is GREAT Luz!!! Good job!!!" ... and you can be happy and smile BIG because you did something good! It's okay to do that and to be proud of yourself for it. But MODEST is if YOU don't say it at all. If you just wait until Mommy says "Luz scored a goal at her game today!" ... and then everyone will still say "Oh Luz! That's GREAT! Good job!" and you get all the glory!
Luz: Nana? What's the glory?
LOL!
Nana: The "glory" is when you are told you did a good job!
Luz: But what game?
ROFL!!!
Amanda: The pretend game that we just made up! The one where you scored the goal!
Luz: But I didn't score a goal...
LOL!
Ohhhhhh trying to explain abstract ideas to a 4 year old is just soooooooo much fun! We THINK she did understand in the end. But Barbara H. is definitely right -- the subject WILL come up again -- and eventually it will come up about physical behavior too! But for right now, we think we got the questioned answered okay.
Another fun one is always time. Not like in the hours on a clock -- but conceptual time. Yesterday, today and tomorrow are fairly easy.... but "in a little while" or "later" or "someday" or "ago"... I don't really remember MY kids EVER asking about these words! They just sort of "got it" over a period of time. But Luz is a word freak - and she asks! Boy, if she doesn't understand EXACTLY what you're saying the first time, she asks! And it has lead to some very interesting conversations!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other STUFF!
Other STUFF!
Okay... I know some of you have noticed I've been a little distracted this week. It amazes me how WELL some of you know me! I was trying my best to keep blogging even when I really didn't feel like it -- but a few of you caught me anyway! Well... we've had some extended family stuff going on, and I have really had to give IT my attention, and in fact, I thought it was going to take me AWAY from you all - for quite awhile. But instead my eldest stepped up, and she is going in my place! And I don't know WHY we didn't think of it in the beginning - because it truly IS the perfect solution! But anyway -- without details - that was what was going on. And I know several of you missed me makin' the rounds to the blogs... I really DO apologize for that... but you know - there are just times when family - even extended family - comes WAY first!
In addition to that I have not gotten ANY more painting done -- I was working on projects if you recall - I finished one, and then life got crazy and I haven't finished the other one yet. Hopefully in the next day or two.
As for my friend, John -- he is still in a coma. They did do some tests this week and have determined that he has NO brain damage! With that said, I really REALLY believe that he WILL wake up! I think we just have to pray and understand that everything happens in God's time and not our own. And just because we don't understand WHY He needs John in a coma right now, doesn't mean He doesn't have a reason.... I know... lots of people think I'm nuts! I'm just tellin' ya what I believe! The doctors have said they will re-evaluate his condition at the end of the week.
And my BIG news??? I'm goin' on a TRIP! Ohhhhhh don't you just wanna KNOW where I am going? I am SO excited!!! Oh it's a BIG exciting trip!!! Well, it's big and exciting to me! I am going to WISCONSIN!!! I'm going to Neenah, Wisconsin!!! Aren't you excited? I know you want to come along with me! And you will! But we don't leave until April 20th! (that seems like such a looooong way away... especially since I've been planning this since OCTOBER!) I've just been bustin' to TELL though, and then JUST when I was getting ready to tell, it started lookin' like I was going to have to postpone it and go to Texas first! But like I said -- Amanda is going to Texas -- so now I'm back on for Wisconsin! Can you guess WHY I'm going to Wisconsin? Can you guess WHAT IN THE WORLD could possibly be important enough to me in Neenah, Wisconsin to convince me to drive 1000 miles to get there!? Well... I will tell you! It is the Wizard of Words himself! The Feeder of the Dragons. The Keeper of the Fortress! It is Dr. John HIMSELF! And his beautiful wife Betty!!! Yes indeed! I am going on an adventure! I am grabbing Mom and my suitcase, and we are heading into the land of Canasta and Saffron Buns! And if I'm very VERRRRRRRY blessed, I'll even get to spend a day in Pigeon Falls!!! Now.... do tell! What could POSSIBLY be more exciting than THAT!? I can't wait!!!
OH! And one LAST little bit of info! Our dear Ella - that little scamp! - has arrived in LAS VEGAS, BABY! She is staying with Kathy - a sweetheart of a gal, with a very interesting past (and probably present!) ... she used to be an elephant trainer/performer IN Vegas... and thus the reason why she wanted sO badly to host Ella! She also owns a MANY pound tortoise who Ella has become fast friends with... and ... above all... she NEVER had a blog before. She created one JUST for Ella -- so pleeeeeeease run over and visit her and check out the fun she is having with Ella! I think this may be a really good trip for Ella!
In addition to that I have not gotten ANY more painting done -- I was working on projects if you recall - I finished one, and then life got crazy and I haven't finished the other one yet. Hopefully in the next day or two.
As for my friend, John -- he is still in a coma. They did do some tests this week and have determined that he has NO brain damage! With that said, I really REALLY believe that he WILL wake up! I think we just have to pray and understand that everything happens in God's time and not our own. And just because we don't understand WHY He needs John in a coma right now, doesn't mean He doesn't have a reason.... I know... lots of people think I'm nuts! I'm just tellin' ya what I believe! The doctors have said they will re-evaluate his condition at the end of the week.
And my BIG news??? I'm goin' on a TRIP! Ohhhhhh don't you just wanna KNOW where I am going? I am SO excited!!! Oh it's a BIG exciting trip!!! Well, it's big and exciting to me! I am going to WISCONSIN!!! I'm going to Neenah, Wisconsin!!! Aren't you excited? I know you want to come along with me! And you will! But we don't leave until April 20th! (that seems like such a looooong way away... especially since I've been planning this since OCTOBER!) I've just been bustin' to TELL though, and then JUST when I was getting ready to tell, it started lookin' like I was going to have to postpone it and go to Texas first! But like I said -- Amanda is going to Texas -- so now I'm back on for Wisconsin! Can you guess WHY I'm going to Wisconsin? Can you guess WHAT IN THE WORLD could possibly be important enough to me in Neenah, Wisconsin to convince me to drive 1000 miles to get there!? Well... I will tell you! It is the Wizard of Words himself! The Feeder of the Dragons. The Keeper of the Fortress! It is Dr. John HIMSELF! And his beautiful wife Betty!!! Yes indeed! I am going on an adventure! I am grabbing Mom and my suitcase, and we are heading into the land of Canasta and Saffron Buns! And if I'm very VERRRRRRRY blessed, I'll even get to spend a day in Pigeon Falls!!! Now.... do tell! What could POSSIBLY be more exciting than THAT!? I can't wait!!!
OH! And one LAST little bit of info! Our dear Ella - that little scamp! - has arrived in LAS VEGAS, BABY! She is staying with Kathy - a sweetheart of a gal, with a very interesting past (and probably present!) ... she used to be an elephant trainer/performer IN Vegas... and thus the reason why she wanted sO badly to host Ella! She also owns a MANY pound tortoise who Ella has become fast friends with... and ... above all... she NEVER had a blog before. She created one JUST for Ella -- so pleeeeeeease run over and visit her and check out the fun she is having with Ella! I think this may be a really good trip for Ella!
Labels: Ella, Ruby Tuesday









20 comment(s):
Gotta love that red-eyed dragon!!
I am very happy for you and your Wisconsin trip. I even got out my Road Atlas (it's sometimes much more fun than google) to look up Neenah. I have spent wonderful times in Wisconsin, I will have to ask my friends the name of the lake we last went to 10 yrs ago (I think), what fun, Melli!!!
How exciting!!
By
MaR, at
3/10/2009 3:02 AM
That is true I also noticed that there was something wrong with you and I thought I had hurt you with a comment or something, because you didn't say a word when I told you that my best friend Jeanine passed away at 66 and it was quite a hard time. I didn't mention it on my blog, but I wrote you an email. Doesn't matter, now everything is OK here with me and apparently with you too !
Great you go to Wisconsin ! I know Madison so very well ! I have been there so many times ! And Dr. John is a nice guy I blog visit him everyday too ! BTW you gave me a good idea for little Ginda (my friend's granddaughter) next time I babysit her I will make little cats with her not dragons of course, I just have to buy the plasticine !
By
Ingrid, at
3/10/2009 3:21 AM
LOL...I love the story with Luz. Was it Art Linkletter that said "Kids say the darndest things? LOL. And I'm so happy for you on your trip. I can imagine the blogging to be done. Will be very exciting :)
By
Anonymous, at
3/10/2009 4:27 AM
Luz constantly amazes me. She is truly an amazing child.
Have fun on your trip.
By
Maribeth, at
3/10/2009 8:15 AM
It sounds like Luz has great self esteem and that is a wonderful thing.
I love this age, you never know what they are going to say next.
By
PJ, at
3/10/2009 9:51 AM
You have a great trip ahead of you. You are lucky to be visiting Dr. John and Betty.
By
Nessa, at
3/10/2009 10:04 AM
I love the dragon with the red eyes! I'm sorry things have been a bit "off" for you. Kinda been like that for me, too.
But a trip is a sure fire way to boost your spirits! Have a wonderful time!
By
Anonymous, at
3/10/2009 10:34 AM
nice to meet you Melli and love the blog here!!!
By
Gary's third pottery blog, at
3/10/2009 10:58 AM
LOL...My son is also 4 years now and I'm living these daily conversations. We really have to watch our answers or it might get tangled like that. Sometimes he finally concludes a word by himself and it surprisingly makes sense ;).
I'm glad to read that your family matters worked out so perfect. I hope your friend John gets better as well. Whatever outcome, I hope it is the best for all.
Have fun on your trip and don't forget to take lots of photos to publish on your blog. I would love to read them.
Best wishes :)
By
RA, at
3/10/2009 11:01 AM
Cute dragon!
I do remember conversations like that when mine were young -- one topic leading to more questions and them not quite grasping the first one yet. But they do pick it up along the way. There is just so much to learn when you're little!
I'm sorry for the family stuff going on, but glad a solution is in process. You're right -- family always comes first.
Sounds like an exciting trip!
By
Anonymous, at
3/10/2009 1:01 PM
Wow..you are very busy with plenty on your mind. I am sorry to read about your friend John. We know so little about comas..I will keep him in my thoughts....
By
Anonymous, at
3/10/2009 3:33 PM
Wow Melli,
First let me say that all goes well with your friend. We have dealt with a few of our family members in comas and it's a very scary and frightening thing. You will be in my prayers.
As for Luz...she is always terrific!! what a great story. She took you all the around the circle on that one huh?
Blessings for a fruitful trip!
By
Jackie, at
3/10/2009 3:51 PM
Wow once you get started you really go.
Loved the dragon.
Glad I didn't have to explain to Luz what modesty meant since I never learned.
We have been praying for John. This John spent some time in a coma they didn't expect him to come out of so we know God still works miracles.
Now you have me scared to death. Wonder if Betty and I don't live up to your very high expectations. And you will have come all that way.
We were scared enough of Ella coming she has had such a good time at all the other places. But we are trying to get my grand daughter's elephant Edgar to visit so she will have somebody to play with. So I was beginning to relax.
But now your coming to see us. I am scared again.
By
Dr.John, at
3/10/2009 4:57 PM
I love explaining hard conmcepts to little ones. It keeps me on my toes. You did good. Luz did better.
And how come YOU get to go see Dr. John and Betty and I don't?!
By
Anonymous, at
3/10/2009 6:47 PM
What a lovely dragon! Did you make this all by yourself? :)
A visit to Dr.John and his lovely Betty and Pigeon Falls - oh the blog fodder for you both!
No brain damage is a good sign for your friend John. Prayers will still be sent.
By
Carletta, at
3/10/2009 6:49 PM
you sound so excited about your trip! that's wonderful
I love the dragon
By
Dianne, at
3/10/2009 9:16 PM
That was some good news about your friend John. Payers still going out.
I'm glad you get a little vacation Melli, you are such a saint to take Mom with you. She must love spending time with you.
I'm still laughing at your Luz story. Been there and done that. :-)
I still haven't been able to find the pelican. :-) But, I won't give up.
By
Anonymous, at
3/10/2009 9:19 PM
She is so bright!!
How wonderful you're going to visit Dr John!!
By
Jientje, at
3/11/2009 4:59 AM
that is one good lookin dragon!
By
emilayusof, at
3/12/2009 5:51 AM
Amanda said I had to read this one - and since meeting lil' Luz, I agree, that she's one smart cookie!!! She's such a bright beam, such a sweetie. I'm loving having her here.
Amanda has been beyond AMAZING. :) Just thought you should know. She's keeping me alive, and keeping my kids thriving. :)
By
Unknown, at
3/22/2009 3:18 PM
Post a comment
<< Home