.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Friday, July 24, 2009

Turn Out The Lights... The Party's Over...

It's always a bittersweet moment at the end of the last day of VBS. On the one hand I'm totally EXHAUSTED... dead on my feet... just ready to collapse! But on the other hand, I've had SO much fun with these kids all week! And they are such a great group of kids! Honestly ... I only had ONE trouble maker in the whooooooole bunch of them -- and even HE was sO darned cute you could hardly stay mad at him for long! He was a pistol though! Broke my unbreakable toys and ripped up my tablecoth first thing in the morning! LOL! One of THEM! But still he was cute... and waaaaaay better behaved than last year! So there is HOPE!

I was right about today being a BIG let-down to the kids after the robots yesterday. I honestly do try to avoid "coloring" crafts -- mainly because kids get sO many coloring opportunities in day-to-day life (in restaurants and drs. offices - not to mention school - where it is actually "work") that many of them are BORED by it! And some kids just don't like to do it. Period. But like I say - I was determined not to have glue or paint today -- so coloring it was! We managed to have fun in spite of it -- but some of them were FAR less than impressed! ;) Here are a few who did enjoy it!

I just LOVE this one - besides the huge dimple,
that little tongue stickin' out just makes me smile!!!
He's a real cutie!

And THIS one - don'tch just wanna scoop him up and
smooch those cheeks!?


This is a very shy model!
Just a weeeee little smile...
but she wanted me to SEE her beautiful pinwheel!


A beautiful pinwheel, by a beautiful girl!

God BLESS them all!
I pray the Holy Spirit touched each of their
hearts this week!


And this was the last middle school project... I was told they were "incapable" of doing it. I'm sad to say we got a little "snippy" with each other. But if those kids were in MY room I know I could have taught them ALL the crafts this week! My heart aches for the middle schoolers this year... I really REALLY pray the Holy Spirit touched THEM!

I talked to Shawn after everyone had left today and told her my concerns for the middle schoolers. We talked about some different options that might make things go a little smoother for them in the future - regardless of who their primary instructors are for VBS. I think next year we might have a 2nd craft person. Someone who will either JUST work with the ms kids - that way she will come up with their craft and teach it as well! The other option was to have the ms TEACHER come up with her own crafts for the week -- but that might stress out someone who is an excellent teacher - but not a great crafts person and keep them from volunteering to teach -- so more than likely we will go with getting a 2nd craft person! I know hind sight is 20/20 -- but I really wish we'd known in time to do it this year!

Soooooo... that's IT for VBS! Tomorrow THIS blog returns to it's regular programming! :)

10 comment(s):

CONGRATULATIONS my darlin' Clementine. Well done. And I like your chillin mood. I think you might be wise to get someone else to help next year as well. And I just had another thought. Maybe you should leave the last dat for the bots or something really fun so it's not quiet the let down for the last day. Go out with a bang :) Aloha and get some much needed rest :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2009 1:43 AM  

Wow, Melli you did a great job this week and I am sure the kids all adored you !! I really admire your patience and creativity these kids had a lot of chance to have had you !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 7/25/2009 2:50 AM  

I take my hat off for you,your skill and your patience to teach all of that. Even if colouring is not the most challenging or fun thing to do on a last day, I still think you managed to put smiles on their faces! And what an adorable bunch they were! Have a great weekend and take some well deserved rest!

By Blogger Jientje, at 7/25/2009 6:42 AM  

You did it! Yay! And you are still alive! Hihi!!
I'm sorry things were not so good for the middle schoolers. I will also pray for them.
Off to volunteer at the Greek Festival. I work each year with my neighbor to help her sell Greek Pastry!

By Blogger Maribeth, at 7/25/2009 7:56 AM  

I don't see how any middle schooler would have been "incapable" of doing that! That's a cute project. I wonder if maybe the teacher was just too overwhelmed to deal with it. Having two craft teachers sounds like the best solution.

The pinwheels are cute!

Hope you can have a relaxing weekend.

Did Vada stay with Mom every morning or did she come with you some days?

By Anonymous Barbara H., at 7/25/2009 8:02 AM  

Melli, I could do that craft after just a glance at yours. If the kids didn't do this, it is because they either never saw it, or no effort was put into motivating them to do it. I had some sympathy for the teacher on the clock craft. That could be intimidating, but to not get this one done leaves me thinking she is just plain lazy.

By Anonymous quilly, at 7/25/2009 5:12 PM  

Oh, I wish I was Barbara and a nicer person. Right now I seem to be in such a negative place!

By Anonymous quilly, at 7/25/2009 5:13 PM  

Oh, and I love the Willie Nelson title on the VBS post! LOL!

By Anonymous quilly, at 7/25/2009 5:14 PM  

Well done you good and faithful servant, blessed of the Father.

Glad the week ended fairly well. Too bad the middle group was not up to the crafts.

Life is a series of lessons and sometimes they are hard taught.

By Blogger Dr.John, at 7/25/2009 6:22 PM  

You always have so much fun with VBS. Sometimes I wonder which are the kids..you or them. Your a good kid, Melli.

By Blogger Amber Star, at 7/25/2009 11:32 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home