A Visit With George & Martha
Krysti & Luz being greeted by the Washington Family!George & Martha were verrrrry hospitable people. One year they entertained over 600 overnight guests! They had 9 guest bedrooms! Of course, many guests only stayed a night or two -- but one guest stayed for 9 months! Entirely at the expense of the Washingtons!
There is absolutely POSITIVELY NO photography insidethe mansion! (don't even try it!) But they have this darling
little "doll house"!
This almost sorta represents the Washington's dining room.(it's really much bigger!)
Luz & Mommy taking a little explore.What were they going to see?
Theeeeese guys!
Luz... this is just a little TOO close for Nana's comfort!
Ohhh! What's in THERE Nana?Hmmm... let's go see!
(I'll tell ya one thing... this gate is WAY out of character for Mount Vernon! Everything is kept in tip top freshly painted order... I was really surprised to see this gate falling off it's hinges and as dirty as it is!)
Oh Baby Girl! That is the "green house" ... would ya lookat that! I'd like to LIVE in the green house!
What's over that wall Nana?
Well, looky there little girl... it's the carriage house!What's a carriage house Nana?
Your favorite part Baby Girl... it's the garage!
THAT'S the kind of car he drove Nana???WHY?
Mom in front of the MansionI can't WAIT to hear the stories she tells me later
about where she was and what she was doing there
when she sees this picture!
Lower left? The servants quarters.Upper right? The Mansion.
This is the covered archway that leads from one to the other. Washington really took very good care of his slaves. I certainly don't promote slavery or even condone it... but the time was what the time was... Washington's slaves had it sO much better than many others... if for no other reason than this...
The view from the servants quarters.Remember... NO pictures from inside the mansion...
The Veranda
Us enjoying The Veranda.
The VIEW from The VerandaI would like to live on The Veranda!
I'll tell ya... Washington realllllly knew what he was doing when he chose THAT piece of real estate to build his home on! It is just gorgeous!
There is a restaurant at Mount Vernon - we had hoped to eat lunch there, but they were closed Saturday, preparing for a wedding they were hosting that night. Can you IMAGINE having your wedding at Mount Vernon!? Mmmm... Anyway... it forced my daughters & I to find this other little place on the Mount Vernon Parkway... you can't tell in this shot but the Potomac River is right behind us. It was a gorgeous view while we supped!
Dinner for Five, please!And it was a truuuuuuly delightful day with my girls!







13 comment(s):
What a beautiful day you had with your girls! :)
I've never found the carriage house there, and I've been there 3 times. I'll have to be sure and look. I've never made it to the grist mill, either. There is always more to see...
By
Anonymous, at
9/07/2009 11:27 AM
Good morning Melli, I am so happy that you had a great time with your girls...the pictures are wonderful and I would love to see the dollhouse.. I think the Bull was to close to Luz !!!!
Enjoy your day.I have two of my grandsons with us for a few days while our daughter is in Vegas...Ty is 11 and Zach is 9..busy every minute!!!
Miss you.... hugs, Baba
By
Baba, at
9/07/2009 11:34 AM
I wonder if those statues ate true-to-life sizes. Martha was pretty short there, especially next to George.
What a gorgeous place! Looks like a neat place to explore.
In the picture with Luz and the bull, I was thinking he looked way too close for comfort, too, before I read your caption.
By
Barbara H., at
9/07/2009 11:54 AM
What a wonderful day that was to spend with you and the girls. The photos are so good and it looks like a fun time was had by all. :)
By
Anonymous, at
9/07/2009 1:24 PM
Oh how wonderful! What great fun!
By
Maribeth, at
9/07/2009 3:19 PM
This looks like a wonderful day well spent!
The first image with 'the family' is priceless. That was a great idea for a photo!
Um, I hope the mansion wasn't as dusty as the doll house. :)
I visited Ella today. Looks like she's settling in and having a great time.
By
Carletta, at
9/07/2009 3:56 PM
You are so lucky to live so close to so much history. Thank you for sharing all that you could. It was sorta like being there.
By
Dr.John, at
9/07/2009 6:17 PM
I am jealous again. Between you and Jientje it seems to be a perpetual state. If I come to visit you, how long can I stay?
And, if you're coming to visit me Amoeba says the cut off date for company is December 15th. After that we're packing and busy!
By
Quilly, at
9/07/2009 6:21 PM
Well...how exciting for all you gals! I have been to Mt. Vernon once a LONG time ago. I'd really love to go back. I still hope to get some faction of my family up there one of these days. The best layed plans...
Hugs,
Susan
By
Susan, at
9/07/2009 7:03 PM
Beautiful pictures Melli, Thank you for the tour.
By
Anonymous, at
9/07/2009 7:04 PM
Melli...I've visited Mt. Vernon, but was 15 years old when I did..a little while back. It still looks the same. I don't think there were any flies on George Washington to tell you the truth. Can you imagine what an undertaking it would be to set up a new government and to stand up to the British Crown and fight battles for freedom for our country. Gives me shivers somtimes when I think about it.
I don't know which type of cow or steer that is, but I think the Scottish cattle from WAY back are very cool looking. Of course our long horns...well, you know they are the best. :)
Thanks for stopping by today. Your words made my day a lot better. *hug*
By
Amber Star, at
9/07/2009 11:53 PM
And then you tell us there is nothing to see in your area ! I would have loved to join your excursion, you all look very nice on the pictures and it must be a very interesting place !
By
Ingrid, at
9/08/2009 1:06 AM
What a beautiful place this is! Although I must say visiting a place where it is forbidden to take pictures would feel like a terrible sacrifice to me, I don't think I could do that. I would surely get myself into trouble!! LOL!
By
Jientje, at
9/08/2009 10:35 AM
Post a comment
<< Home