Dear Lord, Save Me from Myself!
I just sat in my kitchen and had the following conversation with Mom...Mom: (almost giddy with glee!) Isn't it just AMAZING how all that snow fell over there, and NONE of it reached us!
Me: (positively astonished) What do you mean it didn't reach us?
Mom: (happy happy happy!) Look! She points out the window! It only snowed on that little strip over there!
Me: (nearly crosseyed with amazement!) What little strip Mom? (now figuring out that she is confusing the neighbors PLOWED driveway and the absence of snow with the rest of the world's whiteness)
Mom: (getting frustrated with MY stupidity) LOOK! Over THERE! (I look behind me)
Me: Mom... I see snow EVERYwhere... except the neighbors driveway.
Mom: (realizing that she got it backwards) Yea... that's right. But it didn't get US!
Me: How do you figure it didn't get us?
Mom: Because... there ain't none HERE.
Me: Mom, open the back door and look on our porch. (she does) That's OUR porch Mom! The snow got us!
Mom: Well... I wasn't lookin' out back. I was only lookin' out front.
You heard it here first folks! We got 20 inches in the backyard and not a flake out front! There's a HUGE flake in my family room though! She's watching her shows now. Before I kill her! Lord, forgive me....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And my Derek is STUCK in his house until spring! The new house that he moved into with his friends has (really & truly) about a mile give or take long driveway. And no shovel. Of course, it's a DRIVEWAY so the county is not responsible for plowing it. One of the neighbors TRIED to plow it and got STUCK! So they are stuck. No food... they all eat out ALL. THE. TIME.... and by now they don't even have a beer! OY!







16 comment(s):
Oh Melli...I so understand how you feel. That was so funny I nearly fell out of my chair. Oh gosh. Well, you still don't win the worst mil contest...mine interupted the church service yesterday to tell them she wanted to go home and by they way where is her husband. Before I kill her! Lord, forgive me, too.
By
Amber Star, at
12/21/2009 3:04 PM
uh oh...no beer? I'll bet somebody walks out for beer. :D
By
Amber Star, at
12/21/2009 3:05 PM
Oh my goodness what a conversation! You're braver than I am; I would have just agreed how lucky we were and drank my (rum and) coffee LOL.
Meanwhile, poor Derek!! This is my daughter's first snow out on her own, and I'm feeling *awful* that I didn't tell her beforehand about keeping stocked with toilet paper and batteries and buying kitty litter for the steps, etc.
*sigh*
Good luck to them, and to you!
Merry Christmas to all of you!
By
Susan at Stony River, at
12/21/2009 3:23 PM
Oh my darlin' this was just the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Kill your mom!!! I just about died. Pardon the pun. Mom and I sound like we'd have the most intelligent conversations on the planet LOL Too funny...and poor Derek...the neighbor getting stuck...YIKES...think walking for that beer I tell ya LOL. This is just so funny. Oh I gotta get going now. The warm sandy beach under the blazing hot son and the wonderful ocean current watching the sunbathers clad in skimpy bathing suits is calling my name. Toddy in hand, shorts, tee shirt slippers all on. Much Aloha!!!!
By
Anonymous, at
12/21/2009 3:31 PM
Why does it matter what your MIL thinks -- unless you are prone to believe her? AND, sounds like Derek and his friends all need shovels for Christmas. And when they do get out, they might all want to start parking a bit closer to the end of their driveway and hiking into the house.
Oh, some canned food and a can opener might make a great gift, too.
By
quilly, at
12/21/2009 4:47 PM
Stop trying to get Mom to make sense and enjoy here. It's much more fun. She sees the world as she sees it and she sees it different than we do. That isn't a bad thing. You don't have to correct her.
Sorry about your son. Send somebody over with a shovel.
By
Dr.John, at
12/21/2009 8:29 PM
Well, now you know what to get Derek for Christmas! Poor guy.
And I will pray that you can keep your sense of humor with Mom. It truly is funny when we read it here, but I know it has GOT to be frustrating when it is happening... and continually happening!
By
Anonymous, at
12/21/2009 8:33 PM
Your Mum is a card, like Dr John said, just agree with her, I volunteered with the Alzheimers once and learned that you just agree. Laugh {and I shouldn't be} at the Huge Flake watching the TV comment, I am sure God will Forgive.
Your Derek will learn from this and have the fridge stocked up for emergencies like this next time they happen.
Do you normally get snow like this, or was this just a fluke?
Merry Christmas Melli
By
Anonymous, at
12/21/2009 9:35 PM
I totally understand!!!! Sometimes my MIL will say the strangest things....and she doesn't have Alzheimer's. Her problem is Parkinson's which causes her to be confused at times. It certainly keeps life interesting!!!!!
By
Jane, at
12/21/2009 9:42 PM
This is just the funniest but I can imagine that it would get old.
I bet Derek will learn to stock up on the essentials!
By
Jerralea, at
12/21/2009 10:53 PM
I began laughing when I saw the title. What a conversation this was! I love your mom's "it didn't get us" and laughed even more on 'before I kill her...' Lord, help me stop lauging, LOL! This post is just so positively cute. Happy holidays to you Melli, and your family.
By
Hazel, at
12/22/2009 11:11 AM
You gotta love her, she keeps you amused and practicing the fruits of the spirit. I'm with Amber Star, one or all of them will be hiking out of there....it's amazing how resourceful boys can be when it comes to beer or food. Miss ya and gotcha all prayed up.
By
Lazy Daisy, at
12/22/2009 11:34 AM
Have you got a houseful of hungry boys yet?
They are moving my mil to the Alzheimer's wing today. She is much too disruptive for the regular side.
I'm with Daisy...your mil keeps you amused and us, too. She is a hoot and a half.
By
Amber Star, at
12/22/2009 11:57 AM
LOL! Classic conversation! I like how she thinks! ;) ;)
Don't worry, Derek will get out - if they're out of beer, they will manage to leave the home! LOL!
By
Unknown, at
12/22/2009 1:49 PM
Poor MIL. I think I'd be inclined to just let her think whatever, too, though I know it is especially frustrating when it is something so obvious.
Can Dennis plow Derek out or is it too deep? I guess if they get hungry/thirsty enough they'll find shovels or something, LOL. Now they know why people make runs to the store during snow forecasts (at least they do here - the least possibility of snow sends people to the store in droves.)
By
Barbara H., at
12/22/2009 4:18 PM
There must be some logic. If it snows at the backside it can't snow on the front side. I understand ! JP has the same logic, but he went out without his trousers. No neighbour fainted she catched him before his family jewels froze.
Ask Santa to fly over Derek's house and drop off at least some beer, lol ! I am sure this was the first and last time it happens.
By
Ingrid, at
12/23/2009 11:24 AM
Post a comment
<< Home