Great Falls...
Darling eldest and I took a field trip today. We went Great Falls. Great Falls has 2 state parks... one on the Virginia side and one on the Maryland side. Today we visited the Virginia side which we had not been to in eons... and we decided that the Maryland side is much better! LOL! But only because the Maryland side has the C&O Canal with boat rides up and down through the locks! The Falls themselves are a joy to behold from whichever side of the river you stand -- and are surely one of the greatest gifts God has bestowed upon residents of the tri-state region! I just wanted to share a few pictures with you!
This is a great overall picture of the falls. Not that these are the ONLY falls - but this is probably the highlight!

Amanda (darling eldest) wishing she could just go bouncing off across the river and end on the Maryland side! (she's wished she could do this in the other direction too -- for as long as I've known her!)




This one shows the roiling waters right next to a very calm little "pool" -- do you see? Spots like that are to be found all around Great Falls. When the weather is very warm, you can always find people (my people sometimes) down swimming in these pools! This is strictly AGAINST park policy, however it is a rule that is consistantly broken. Unfortunately, on occassion the breaking of this rule has ended in drownings - especially when a person gets too close to the roiling water and gets sucked in! Canoeing and kayaking is also forbidden -- however, people put in up river where it's allowed and frequently you see them come barreling down stream! It IS however a very dangerous area and lives are lost each year. Should you ever get the chance to visit I urge you to a.) have fun and b.) BE CAREFUL!







5 comment(s):
These are great pictures! I love to ride the rapids down into small pools. I used to do it alot when I lived in Hilo, on the Big Island. It is alot of fun!!
By
Anonymous, at
4/12/2006 9:14 PM
Well, the falls are beautiful! But hey-------Melli, you look Mahhhhhvelous!!!
I see your weight loss!!---it's visible.
WAY TO GO!!
Happy Thursday. I'll be back to view your 13 later.
By
Anonymous, at
4/13/2006 6:42 AM
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!
By
Melzie, at
4/13/2006 10:18 AM
The pics are beautiful. For your weight loss treat, go to Carvel - forget the pizza.
By
Penrick, at
4/16/2006 8:04 PM
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. bulk email marketing service ite circuit breaker lcd tvs with hd tuners built in car alarm systems 2w Penile enlargement cosmetic surgeons Wholesale license plate frames web conferencing
By
Anonymous, at
4/26/2007 3:34 AM
Post a comment
<< Home