Curves... For Men?

As I was driving home from Curves yesterday, a very VERY large man passed me going the other direction. I was feeling very perky and energetic having just finished my workout, and as this fella drove past, I thought to myself "HE needs Curves!". And all of a sudden it hit me... why NOT? Why ISN'T there a Curves for men?
Of course, my first thought was probably the same as yours... Men HAVE gyms! They have ALL the gyms! That's why women started GOING to Curves to begin with - most of them anyway - was because they are "intimidated" by the men at the gym! (this is NOT the case for me... I have belonged to other gyms and liked them as well... but I do LOVE the Curves program!) But the fact is is that men DON'T have all the gyms! They have to share them with all the skinny young women, prancing around in spandex and skin, who probably "intimidate" THEM! And not only that, but how many 6' tall men weighing 350 pounds with a big ol' beer belly would NOT be intimidated walking into a regular gym? They have not only the women, who will roll their eyes and look at them "like that", but also the macho weight lifting bulked up oiled men who act like they OWN the gym, who will also look at them "like that". Do women have a monopoly on feeling intimidated?
I think Curves should open some places for men. With the SAME equipment the women have, and the same sort of program. Something that is low-impact for the obese men, the old guys, the diabetics and the recovering hearts... all those men who would feel INTIMIDATED by going into a regular gym! A gym that would be JUST for men! For men who don't feel like they can really keep up at a regular gym. Men who think exercise is too hard, but who really need (and want) to take off some pounds and get back in shape. Because ladies... we KNOW! ANYBODY can survive 30 seconds on ANY piece of equipment! Right? So why isn't there someplace like this for men?
I think I'm gonna write Diane! I think it's a great idea! What do you guys think?
Son of a gun! There IS a Curves for men! It's called Cuts Fitness For Men ... the guy who started it got his idea from Curves, and thought just what I thought! This is AWESOME! It's only been around for 2-3 years, but there are already 200 of them in 32 states! So... if you're a guy who's not into the Gold's scene, look them up! See if there's one near you! Ladies... send your men! Here's the link to the article on them ... in case your interested. Fox News on CUTS







8 comment(s):
I think it's a great idea, I'd send my old guy there.
We need to think of more manly name though, since even fat old men have egos...ha.
By
PJ, at
7/22/2006 8:27 AM
Hi there. Wandered on over from Deb's. Just wanted to let you know that there is a place out there for men like Curves. I saw a news report on it the other day, but unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the place, as I was busy with something and had the news on in the background.
The reporter interveiwed a gentleman and they discussed the things you mentioned here in your post: being embarassed and/or intimidated working out next to seemingly "perfect" people.
So, why didn't we think of this FIRST!? lol
Blessings!
By
Anonymous, at
7/22/2006 11:23 AM
Donna - that's cool! I knew it was a good idea! (wish you could remember the name!)
PJ - yea! I thought that too - it would have to be REAL MACHO! Something like the Grunt Shop! LOL!
By
Melli, at
7/22/2006 12:05 PM
Yeap, Melli I thought there was someplace like you said...I place like Curves for me. I had heard something about it but not enough to know what it is..I guess we need to find out more about it. You go ahead and write to Diane..maybe she knows. You go girl with your CURVES. We are both doing great!!
By
Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at
7/22/2006 2:27 PM
Well how about that! That's wonderful!
By
Meira{FB}, at
7/22/2006 5:30 PM
Great action shot! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Just kidding!
By
Teena in Toronto, at
7/22/2006 6:05 PM
I'm learning quite a bit. I never knew Curves was just for women. Why would they ever create a place like that just for women??
Anyway, it sounds as if problem is solved, but I had high hopes of starting this business with Melli. She could work on making sure the guys exercise, I just want all their personal information.
By
Penrick, at
7/23/2006 7:41 PM
Guess you had a good idea.
By
Unknown, at
7/26/2006 10:11 PM
Post a comment
<< Home