.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Search Continues....

MORE CHURCH SHOPPING...

This morning I tried out the Episcopal church up on the corner. My friend, Janie (who is also church shopping) and I decided on the 8:00 service this morning. This is definately NOT the one for me.

The first thing that I noticed was that I (at age 49.4) was the youngest person in the church. Even Janie has me by a couple of years. But that would be okay IF everything else was right. Which it wasn't. I never thought that the "building" that church takes place in was of much importance. I mean you can gather people and praise the Lord ANYWHERE - right? I know this is true! But... I didn't realize that I DO want MY church to be a "comfortable" place. A place that "feels" like ... comfy. This church did not feel that way from the minute I walked in the door. The pews had gates on them. You had to open the gate and then close the gate before you could sit down on the pew. I've NEVER seen that before! And they were built like boxes... with a bench. This didn't feel "comfy".... I want to concentrate on praising the Lord and learning while I'm in church. I don't want to be squirming and fidgeting because the seat is hard and the back is too straight and I'm UNcomfortable. But I know this isn't often an issue because I have been in MANY churches --- and this one was just odd!

Next... THIS Episcopal service had NO music. None. Not just no songs... but no entrance music, no exit music, no no no music... none. I defiantely need there to be music - with UPLIFTING spiritual songs! Songs of PRAISE, and songs of JOY! So this was a problem.

But the BIGGEST problem was the Liturgy and the Sermon! NOTHING spoke to me. I didn't think the readings even made any SENSE today! Nobody tied them in to anything... they were just there... just words being read... and that's HOW they were read! No feeling... no flavor... no fun! I might have gone to sleep except that I was trying sO hard to find SOMETHING to take home with me! Then the sermon.... it was okay. But I had hoped it might tie all the rest of the parts together into a neat little package that was going to make this service "come to life" for me.... but it didn't.

Instead of coming home feeling uplifted and "graced" ... today I came home feeling jipped.

The search continues....

Labels:

17 comment(s):

Melli -- here is an unusal offer -- come to Vegas and I will take you to a church where God lives, the people are open and friendly, the pews are padded, and music fills the place.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 10:22 AM  

Melli... wish you were closer so we could take you to OUR Episcopal church. It's so different from the one you went to. I wonder if the "main" service would be better. We've been to a few services in other churches out of town (those that have an early service and a later service) and the early service seems to normally be an abridged service. You might want to try the regular service as well. Our church, though, as far as music goes is more liturgical and hymns... not praise worship as such (well, except during our healing service and the Eucharist). Hang in there, girl... you'll find the church that just fits you.

By Blogger Judy, at 1/21/2007 11:23 AM  

Melli - You could always become a pastor, do church your way. Just saying...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 11:23 AM  

I wish that there was a Christian church someplace close to you. I love ours here in Savannah and also the one that we left in Illinois. It is wonderful. Our praise and worship is just so uplifting to me....It is the same that Lazy Daisy and Mr. Wonderful came from of course!! I so love my church!! The sermons are the same of course and learning well. I have learned so much in these past 6 years that we have lived here. I wish that we lived closer. You would love being here and learning with me. I would love to help you...Man what things we could do. My Monday Memories are up. I thought i would get it done since I had a few minutes. This is an important week to My Mr. Wonderful and myself. Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 1/21/2007 2:19 PM  

I think you experienced what is happening in many many places on Sunday mornings in our country: Obligatory Christianity. It's not practical. It doesn't necessarily speak to you. It just "is". It's almost like if we say the right words and sit or kneel enough, then God will be there for us. What many many people are missing is that God is living, active, and wants to meet us where we are.

OK, so now you have some more things to look for in a church that's JUST RIGHT for you: music and comfortable surroundings.

Hang in there. I can't wait to see where you end up...cause I know that YOU and THEY will be blessed by it!!

:-) Susan

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 2:24 PM  

Well, sorry you didn't care for the Episcopal church service, Melli, but this is how you eliminate down and find the church that's right for you.

As for the no music, I wouldn't be able to stand that either. Music is an integral part of my life and religion is enhanced by beautiful hymns. Unfortunately the church I belong to forbids the use of secular music for the most part, so anything by someone like Michael W. Smith or Steven Curtis Chapman is forbodden...seems wrong to my way of thinking, but that's their rules.

Keep up the hunt! Glad to hear Hector is doing better too.

Hugz,
C.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 3:17 PM  

I was not brave enough to tackle the elements today...we are under a Winter Weather advisory...got some snow with ice on the way...
keep on keepin' on!!
:-D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 6:39 PM  

Melli - Make your own denomination - "The Comfortable Uplifting Singers for Christ". Just saying...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 8:09 PM  

Usually the early services at churches cater to the needs of a specific group - i.e. those that don't like singing and the services tend to be faster that the other ones that day. As such, I do find they attract an older crowd.

Just something to keep in mind if you attend any more 'early' services. I think the ones around 9 or 10 tend to be more popular for families and would most certainly have music.

These have been my experiences anyways! It's good that you know what you're looking for!

By Blogger Irish Church Lady :), at 1/21/2007 9:00 PM  

Hi Melli

I am sure you will find your church you want to attend. I wouldn't like this church either. I like going to a church that has a good message but above all has music and hymns. There is nothing more uplifting that hearing a hymns that moves the room.

On a different note, I am going to be staying with blogger. I found out Wordpress isn't what it is cracked up t be. I see I confused you a tad bit, but to see future posts, visit the old blogger.

Blessings for a wonderful week.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 10:36 PM  

Hi Melli

I am sure you will find your church you want to attend. I wouldn't like this church either. I like going to a church that has a good message but above all has music and hymns. There is nothing more uplifting that hearing a hymns that moves the room.

On a different note, I am going to be staying with blogger. I found out Wordpress isn't what it is cracked up t be. I see I confused you a tad bit, but to see future posts, visit the old blogger.

Blessings for a wonderful week.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 10:39 PM  

Poor Melli again a flop in your church researches, terrible! But you know, to go to heaven, you MUST suffer otherwise you will land up in hell being cooked in a big basin ! So what's a pew with gates looking like a box ? Nothing ! It's better sitting in a box in heaven than in a basin in the hell ! Believe me !

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 10:40 PM  

I am sure you will find the right church soon, Melli...good luck to you. *s*

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2007 6:09 AM  

Church shopping! I love it.
When we got hitched my mom reeeelly wanted us to get married in a church because that is what scottish people do!

So we did the search and found a United that was built to resemble the cathedral in my home town!

We felt bad for 'using' the church so we attended a couple of services and while we actually DID enjoy it. The minister was awesome...we too were the youngest people there and the 'hunger' for new flesh was almost alarming.

I am not a churchey type, though who knows..later in life maybe!

I think 'traditional' Churches scare off the younger set.

Thanks for visiting Cuppa Tea.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2007 11:29 AM  

Maybe that is why so many Swedish familys don't go to church any longer... We have bad services....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2007 11:33 AM  

I didn't know you were church shopping. Where have I been? Come out to my Episcopal church. We have lots and lots of music!! And a great female priest!

I think the church you went to was one of the historical churches. They were like that during the Jamestown times...

Email me about this and I'll find you a perfect Episcopal church in your neck of the woods. I have connections!! :-)
xo
LBC

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2007 12:54 PM  

I don't know where you live, but I've seen historical 18th c. churches with pews and gates. Not sure of the purpose. But no music? Now that is surprising. Sounds like the search is still open for the Lord's leading, and I know he has something special in mind for you.

We have 3-4 worship styles--and the younger people definitely gravitate to the loud, rock band type music.

By Blogger Norma, at 1/22/2007 8:22 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home