.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Middle Name Meme...

Scrounged this one up over at Naomi's place the other day... Honestly, I don't think I've ever participated in a harder meme! I thought it was going to be a piece of cake ... but it was a challenge!!! Here's the rules!

1. You have to post these rules before you give the facts.

2. You must list one fact that is somehow relevant to your life for each letter of your middle name. If you don’t have a middle name, use the middle name you would have liked to have had.

3. At the end of your blog post, you need to choose one person for each letter of your middle name to tag. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

C- Children. Most specifically, my Children. From the time I was just a wee little girl, the only job I ever wanted to have when I grew up was to be a Mommy. It is the job title that I have enjoyed the most in my life and the job I have valued the most and been the most proud of. God sO blessed me with 4 beautiful, healthy, and for the most part, happy children. They have not had perfect lives... He tests them, and they test me, and He tests me... and we get through it all! But I would not give up ONE single solitary day of being Mom to any one of them! I adore those young versions!

L- Literature. I love to read! I do have a tendency to get "hooked" on a certain type of book for a looooooong period of time though... and when that happens I really have no interest in ANY other type! I went through about a two year period of reading nothing but the classics. Hubby and I both spent about a year reading nothing but Louis L'Amore westerns! LOL! Then it was cozy mysteries... another couple of years doing that! Right now, you know... it's all spiritual stuff! But it has to be sOMething! I usually have two or three books going at once -- in various parts of the house!

A- Art. Creativity is a huge part of me. I'm NOT an artist like my dear Naomi, Queen of Her Hill! But I must be creative in one way or another on a regular basis - whether it is drawing, writing poetry, making crafts, sewing, crocheting, photography, graphic arts... anything! I love to try new things too! In addition to that, I LOVE art galleries and art gardens and viewing other peoples art in almost any form! I have many many MANY favorite artists - some famous - some not so famous! I love pottery and sculpture and ancient art and new wave modern! And musical art too! I appreciate almost any kind of music! Any thing from DaVinci to homespun! I just love it!

R- Road Maps. Yea... Road maps are very important to me. Because I have a horrible sense of direction and get confused easily - especially in BIG cities! Did I ever tell you guys about the time I got lost going from Minneapolis to St. Paul and ended up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin? True story! I was living in St. Paul when I first graduated from High School, and I had gone to Minneapolis on a job interview. This, of course, was waaaaaay back before Google or MapQuest, but I had gotten very clear, concise directions to get to my interview. And the interview went well ... as a matter of fact, I ended up getting the job! However... as so often is the case - especially when dealing with getting in and out of major cities, following the directions in reverse does NOT always work! Somehow or another... ??? ... I missed the road most traveled! But I didn't realize it! For a long time. I was probably absorbed in listening to the radio and not really noticing that I'd been driving for well over an hour for what really should have been about a 20 minute trip! Of course, I was from Maryland - so that fact that nothing looked familiar didn't faze me either! No doubt I thought surely I would see something familiar any minute now and then I would soon be home! Well... what I ended up seeing was a big green sign that said "Oshkosh 20 miles" or something like that! Now even 18 year old me was smart enough to know there is only ONE Oshkosh! Oh Dear LORD, what had I DONE??? LOL! I got off at the next exit and stopped at a gas station. Made that guy's day, I tell ya! I don't think anyone's ever laughed so hard in their life! (well, maybe my chiropractor when I did the sommersault on my bed...) Needless to say, I was a little late getting home that night! Dinner was cold when I walked in the door! But ya know what? It taught me a lesson! YEP! It did! It taught me NEVER to panic when I get lost in the Big City! Cuz you can NEVER get sO lost that ya can't get out of it! Believe me...

E- E... e... e... eskimos? No... elephants? no... well - it was the first word I learned to spell as a child... but no.... envelopes?... mmm... maybe... I do like mail... good mail anyway. Hmmm... E? Golly - what GOOD starts with E??? My friend Erlene! She does read my blog... but she never comments - shame on her! *waves to Erlene!* Ahhhh! Education!!! Wow! How could I spend 11 years as a substitute teacher and not realize the importance of education in my life! Or lack thereof...? Yes. Lack thereof. That would be the ticket. Do you know, that 6 days shy of my 50th birthday, I still sometimes regret not getting a college education?! Even thoooough... 6 days shy of my 50th birthday... I still don't know what I want to BE when I grow up! I wasted high school. Utterly and completely! I guarantee you, any morsel of knowledge that I have today I have either taught to myself - OR... I learned by teaching others... when I subbed! Good thing I started out in Elementary school and worked my way up - huh? Tis true. Somedays I would come home from a hard days work at school and be totally amazed at what I had learned that day! (I was also amazed by how much more fascinating I find the subject matter at "my age" than I did at 16!) And the main thing I learned from that was how little is expected of the people who are temporarily teaching our children when the "teachers" are unavailable! *nods* Think about it! It's scary! Don't spend too much time thinking about it though -- unless YOU are prepared to become a sub - cuz they're hard to come by and the schools are pretty desperate! But sometimes, when I was in the classroom - watching what I would now consider "lazy" students (the ones who are sO like I was when I was in school) fall asleep in their books - I often thought that maybe we have this whole education thing backwards! Maybe we should just send kids off to work when they're twelve... and then when they decide that they are in jobs going nowhere and they decide they want an education, then we should send them to school! Hmmmm... imagine an entire student body of students that want to be there... Boggles the mind! I think I need to stop in to my old stomping grounds and see what my friends think of this idea! LOL!

Since I wasn't actually tagged with this one, I'm not going to do any tagging either! If you want to do it - let me know! I'd love to read it!

Labels:

11 comment(s):

The people who went to college later in life were welcomed by the professors because they wanted to be there, it makes such a difference.

I loved the line about the chiropractor :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 8/29/2007 10:52 PM  

Well you may have found it hard Melli, nut you did GREAT! Very very interesting.....About Education...I could not wait to be out of school...and the only time I ever LOVED LOVED LOVED School was when I CHOSE to go to Drama School in New York....So I think yu are very right about this school thing....And the other possible approach to that which many so called "Progressive" schools have done and I assume are still doinf---And that is kearning on demand...and allowing the student to :study" whatever the want, including ART, MUSIC, VIDEO, WRITING Etc., Etc., to name just a few things....And this goes to your "A" for art section....Like you, I cannot live without art nd creating it in some form....Essential to my health and well being...
Good One Melli....!

By Blogger OldLady Of The Hills, at 8/29/2007 11:22 PM  

A friend of mine went to law school in her 40's, graduated when she was 46. And she was working full time! Love your approach of sending kids to work at age 12 and then letting them decide about further schooling. It would certainly make a big difference!
Great meme, Melli Clare!!
:D

By Blogger MaR, at 8/30/2007 2:53 AM  

You are a hoot!!!!!

By Blogger Connie Barris, at 8/30/2007 6:38 AM  

Good morning Melli,Your list is great for your middle name.. I can not read more than one book at a time..I can't remember the story if I read different books at once..I like to check out books from the library...Have a super day.. I am off to Curves. Baba

By Blogger Baba, at 8/30/2007 8:41 AM  

Wow, thanks for not tagging me...with the middle name of Kathleen it would take forever. Great, you have trouble reading road maps and I have no internal compass....definitely sounds like a road trip to me!

By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 8/30/2007 8:44 AM  

Oh my....you did a wonderful job Melli! I could NOT do this with my middle name! Nope, nope nope!!

Happy Thursday dear lady.

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 8/30/2007 9:01 AM  

No wonder that you found this meme complicated ! You made it complicated !! Where others (me included) wrote 3 lines you wrote a whole book, lol ! Besides the fact that I never wanted to be a mum when I was a child, I agree 100 % on Literature and Art. Road Maps are very nice, only completely useless when you can't read them. I mean I read them but I stilll don't know where I am and where I have to go. For me it's just a colored piece of paper with up, down, left and right. But where is up and down or north and south when I am sitting on a highway ?? And concerning the college, you have a lot of examples here of people who went to college but can't write correctly !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 8/30/2007 9:22 AM  

My middle name only has 3 letters so I guess this would be easy but have to get to work quick..GREAT list and of course great writing like always...bye..
Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 8/30/2007 9:23 AM  

PS. be happy that your second name was not Gewendoline or longer !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 8/30/2007 9:27 AM  

I'm blank. Can not participate. I do not have a middle name. Not even a nick-name. Crazy Norwegians - hu.
But, I have a cheap Sun Hat - LOL.

By Blogger TorAa, at 8/31/2007 1:44 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home