.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Rest of the Trip...

After we left wine country, we headed back down the road. Down the big road... you know! As it got later in the day and we started to get hungry we started thinking about where to stop. We decided to just stop and have an ice cream and keep heading down the big road for awhile! I was remembering a place that I've passed on the way up every time. A BBQ place on the North side of the road. It sits waaaaaay up on a hill and overlooks the Susquahanna River, and it looked like a FUN place! But I couldn't remember exactly where it was... So we kept driving... and driving... and driving... (like the energizer bunny, huh?) ... Finally Dennis was worn out, and so we pulled off at the next exit. But there wasn't a THING to be found there! Not a hotel, and not a restaurant! LOL! Imagine it! Tiny Town, USA! So, I took over driving... and we started thinking it was a good thing we'd had that ice cream! But round about dark time... low and behold... I said "Honey... I think we're gettin' close! I think there's a light up ahead ... and over on the left, up on a hill... " and sure enough! ...

... We were there!!!

Of course, by then it was dark and so the view wasn't much! But the place was looking festive! And the food was GREAT! We both got the Calorie Galore Special which included an open face pulled pork bbq sandwich, coleslaw (with apple in it! Mmmm!), the best durn homemade baked beans IN THE WORLD, and a corn bread muffin. I don't usually eat ANY of that stuff... but man, I gotta tell ya - it was GOOD! If you're ever travelin' north on 11/15 somewhere near Shamokin look for Skeeters - up on the hill! And if you happen to get there on a Sunday, you'll find LIVE entertainment! WE had to settle for each other.... oh well!

Having now STUFFED our bellies, we were ready for a hotel... instead we found a motel... I don't usually care as much for motel's - but this one was real cute... so I even took pictures!

#65... home away from home!

We sleep in a waterbed at home ... so when we saw
this High Rise model I just laughed! Not only was it
so high you couldn't just sit down on it -- but I had to
get a running start to get IN to it!
LOL!

I also kinda liked the little chandelier in the
"sitting area".
It was cute!
(as motels go...)
Okay! I'm a SNOB!
sheeeeesh!

The next morning we headed back down the Big Road. We knew we wanted to go to York, because it jusssssst so happens that the Harley Davidson Vehicle Operations Facility is located there. And it's only like 2 miles off the beaten path of the Big Road. I had checked on-line before we left home to find out about tours, and was lead to believe that tours had ended for the season on Aug. 18th - but was also lead to believe that there was a museum that we could still nose around in! Never mind that that information was WRONG on both counts! LOL!

It was perfectly open... and tours were still happening!

But the museum is in the process of being re-located to Milwaukee - back to the original Harley plant. That's okay ... we'll hit Milwaukee some other time! So... what exactly goes on at the Vehicle Operations facility? Well... the manufacture of tour bikes - that's what! Yea! The BIG BOYS! Honey's Harley is a BIG one, and it was manufactured here! So... this was cool! Now, you are NOT allowed to take photos inside the manufacturing plant... I doubt it has as much to do with security as with not flashing lights in employees faces while they are working extremely powerful equipment... yea! But basically, the tour takes you through the entire facility and shows how they make various parts - including the fenders, the tanks, the kick stands, and several others. For Dennis and I this was really REALLY neat - because I used to be, and he still IS a sheetmetal worker! Of course, we did (and do) duct fabrication, but metal is metal, and many of the tools are similar! As a matter of fact, I used to run the plasma arc (laser) cutting table when I worked there - and one of the stops on the tour showed the holes in the rear fender being cut out with a different variety of the same kind of laser. So, to ME that was a lot more fascinating than it would be to most of the people on that tour! As a matter of fact - when we got to the "assembly" part of the factory, the tour guide made the comment "At last, we're to the part you all CAME for!" ... and Dennis and I both thought "nuh-ungh"... we enjoyed the manufacturing part MUCH MORE than the assembly part! Heck ... Dennis has disassembled and assembled the things in our garage a million times! Nothin' new there!!! LOL! But it is true that most of the people who tour are most interested in seeing the assembly!
Personally, I LOVE factory tours of any kind! Just seeing how different things are made, to me, is fun! The Harley tour is "free", and if you get the chance, I recommend it! But let me just warn you now ... there's no "free samples" at the end!

Darn! We sure woulda liked to take this home!
(it matches my hair!!!)

Wolfgang Candy Co.
(isn't it cute?)

When we were exiting the highway to go to Harley Davidson, we had seen a little sign for a little candy factory... and we thought well, that would be cool too! But by the time we got done at HD (2:00) the last candy tour had just started and we didn't have time to get in on it. We decided to go ahead over anyway and just get some candy. Awww heck! We were IN the neighborhood!

When we got there, they told us they were having a warehouse sale and asked if we'd like to look around in there. Well... yea! But we discovered that the stuff on sale looked a little ... um... suspect. We decided that if it was sO old they were takin' it off their shelves, that there was a good chance we didn't really want to "go there"... if ya know what I mean! (it probly still tasted fine... but... well... okay, so now I'm a candy snob too? ...)

We just went in to the little shop, and got a bit of this and some of that, and some stuff for the kids! For REAL - it WAS for the kids! Ask 'em! We brought it home! (well... most of it!)

All in all, I'd have to say it was a pretty sweet trip!


13 comment(s):

Life with you is an adventure! I love that motorcycle too.

By Blogger Unknown, at 8/26/2007 10:55 PM  

Look at all that yummy candy! I would go crazy in there!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/27/2007 12:55 AM  

Running like that energizer bunny..lol! you said it first :)
I would have needed a ladder to get in that motel bed!
:( no free samples! At least you got a great pic there!

By Blogger MaR, at 8/27/2007 3:15 AM  

What a nice little holidays you had ! I had to laugh to see you as a princess in that royal bed, lol !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 8/27/2007 6:57 AM  

I'm sure I wouldn't wanna take the Harley home, but oooooooooo, the candy shop!! Lord help me!! I'm in love.

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 8/27/2007 8:31 AM  

Wow, sounds like a great adventure and a sweet trip. So glad Kristi is adapting well. Sweet bike and sidecar....I can see you and Dennis on the road in it. You are right it so matched your hair....I'm surprised he didn't buy it on the spot!

By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 8/27/2007 8:56 AM  

So glad you shared the rest of the trip...you're right, that motel is SO CUTE!! I rarely will stop if it's not a "brand" I know...

I love just stopping as we see interesting things on a trip...it's great fun.

Hugs to you!!

:-) Susan

By Blogger Susan, at 8/27/2007 9:48 AM  

You know -- chocolate never ever goes bad... The color change is from a change in temperature.

You can hit the warehouse next time.

xo
LBC

By Blogger Ladybug Crossing, at 8/27/2007 10:48 AM  

What a nice trip just for the two of you!! For nice perk in taking your child to college!! What fun!! I would have loved the candy shop the best but just walking in with the smell you can gain a lb or two I bet...Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 8/27/2007 11:31 AM  

I loved seeing you in the sidecar!!
It sure does look like you all had the best time!
Candy store! Oh Wow! I need chocolate Now!

By Blogger Talk..to..Grams, at 8/27/2007 12:01 PM  

Looks like you had a good time, welcome back..:)

By Blogger PJ, at 8/27/2007 2:11 PM  

It looks like you had a grand time Mellie..LOVE the picture of SKEETERS, and it sounds like you had a scrumptious meal....The whole trip sounds like it was really fun and you took in a lot!
I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of everything, too!

By Blogger OldLady Of The Hills, at 8/27/2007 5:04 PM  

Wow! When you take a trip, you really trip. That sounds like a blast. Sorry you didn't get a nore permanent "sample" of the cycle & sidecar -- maybe when they see all the free advertising you just provided .....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2007 3:37 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home