.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday Seven -- Thanks for Mom...


...Lest you think I've forgotten HOW to be grateful...
7 things I am thankful for in relation to my MIL

1. If I must have constant companion and travel buddy, Mom is the one to have. She is the only person related to me that does not mind listening to my PRAISE MUSIC as we tool down the road! Never mind that I could just as easily listen to Toddler Tunes or John Philip Sousa -- the POINT is, I can listen to my PRAISE music without complaint!!!

2. I ALWAYS have a lunch companion ... which is important because lunch "dates" with friends have ... um... dropped off considerably! But Mom loves lunch and because she does not complain about food either, I am free to try places that no one else would try with me! Never mind that our entire lunch time conversation revolves around "mmm... good."

3. I sometimes complain because it takes us no less than 15-20 minutes from the time the bath water starts running until Mom is actually sitting in the tub... we have a few rituals... and apparently she doesn't mind cold bath water... but I am THANKFUL that she IS able to get in and out of the tub on her own, UNassisted, on most days -- and I do believe that with the help of Curves she will continue to improve in this respect! Never mind that her idea of a bath is one dip and we're out! (hm. maybe it's the COLD bath water?)

4. I am thankful that since Mom moved in with us, Dennis eats dinner at the table with us most nights.

5. I am thankful that since Mom moved in with us, Dennis goes outdoors to smoke. (it really is AMAZING the influence that a MOTHER has on her son! EVEN when she doesn't know he's her son half the time!!!)

6. I'm thankful that Mom is our Light Patrol, Door Patrol, and Pet Patrol! Don't even DARE leave a light on when you leave the room! Do NOT leave the front door open, EVEN if you're carrying in groceries (or out trash) ... and honestly ... the pets are just tooooooooo spoiled! They TRULY go in and out at will! (withOUT a doggie door! ... and without leaving doors open!)

7. I'm thankful that I NEVER have to come up with NEW material to entertain her! ONE joke is all I need - it will last for MONTHS -- if not a lifetime! Annnnnd it can be korny! :)

Labels:

12 comment(s):

You are the sweetest person alive! To see such good is truly a gift! Your MIL is a very very lucky woman.
Enjoy her.
xo
LBC

By Blogger Ladybug Crossing, at 1/13/2008 6:16 PM  

Melli -- this post says "love" better than one written for expressly that purpose ever could have.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2008 7:13 PM  

I agree with what Quilly said 100% You are doing so good and I need to take lessons from you my friend and list all that is neat about Nancy! What I am Thankful for! Thank you for sharing this post with us! Love and Hugs, Carolyn

By Blogger Talk..to..Grams, at 1/13/2008 7:43 PM  

If you take it this way it is wonderful ! I certainly couldn't do that ! When it comes up to my liberty I am not generous at all ! You really earn a medal !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 1/14/2008 3:56 AM  

Good morning Melli, It is so heart warming to hear how your life is going with you and your MIL...I always knew that you were a good and kind-hearted person....Love ya, Baba

By Blogger Baba, at 1/14/2008 7:12 AM  

Melli, I truly believe that it takes a "special" person to do what you are doing and for your mother in law too!! That is something else. You seem to be looking at this with humor and that is what will carry you through it as long as you have the humor!! We all need that and you need it even more. Blessings to you today. Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 1/14/2008 8:34 AM  

You have to be thankful for the little things when you deal with an Alzheimer patient.
My mother is now "stealing" things out of my kitchen!!!!! It is SO funny.

By Blogger Jane, at 1/14/2008 9:14 AM  

what a great list! It's so great the way this is working out

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2008 10:35 AM  

girl, I am so with you on this... LOL..
It is the war of music stations in MY Jeep when the kids or hubby gets in MY jeep... why is that.. Only moms really get it.. or know that you shall not touch my Christian music...
I don't want Led Zepplin on my station... sorry..Led...

This was good Melli..

Love ya girl.. you always make me laugh

Connie

By Blogger Connie Barris, at 1/14/2008 8:11 PM  

#s 4 and 5 I had to laugh. Yep, mother's influence there for sure.

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 1/15/2008 8:48 AM  

What an uplifting post to read this morning. I hadn't checked out your blog for awhile, but I sure am glad I did today. Now why did it make me want to cry even though I was smiling?

By Blogger Joan, at 1/15/2008 9:37 AM  

Your MIL is blessed to have you. And I know that this season is going to be used to speak to many many people about true love.

Hugs,

Susan

By Blogger Susan, at 1/15/2008 3:17 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home