.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Monday, January 07, 2008

Roundin' the Bend...

So, I took Mom to Curves for the first time today. Drat it all, I did NOT take pictures! How did THAT happen??? Well... cuz I was the one teaching her how to use the equipment today. I might be the one teaching her to use it EVERY day -- but I'm hoping that SOME days an "adventuresome" employee might help out. However ... I might have been the only employee they had that was quite THAT adventuresome. But we DID it! She got all the way around the track! And I made an impromptu executive decision that SHE should only do ONE time around the circuit -- but to stay on each machine for at least a full minute - maybe a little more. Same with the recovery boards. The reason I thought this method to be in her best interest is because it takes her soooooooo looooooong to get on and off each piece that if we even dared to TRY to follow the little lady who's sO sweet voice encourages us on and around, well... it just wouldn't work at all! So! She made it once around the track - with me encouraging EVERY pump of her arms or legs (depending on machine) and EVERY lift of her knee when I had her marching on the recovery boards. It was a stitch! It really is quite a workout just getting her through HER workout! When she was done, then I did MY workout -- 2 times around! WOW! I did not realize HOW MUCH I had missed it! It felt SO good to be back!!! I was amazed at how well I was still able to do because honestly -- I have done NOTHING - not even a stretch - in two and a half months!!! And after MY workout, I grabbed her and took her into the stretching room too! That was actually a bit more trying than the entire workout! Stretching is what she needs most -- and I knew it would be! Heck - it's what's we ALL need most! I really really wish people would UNDERSTAND how important stretching IS to the overall workout! As far as mobility goes, stretching ALONE will give that back -- without EVER using ANY other form of exercise! I was proud of her though! She got down on the floor with me -- and that's more than some of the MEMBERS have done in the year and a half I've known them!!! She doesn't have a bloomin' thought of her own in her head anymore -- but she follows directions well! If you repeat them 72 times a minute... *G*

Tomorrow we rest her body (mainly because we have other commitments for MY time) and we will do it again on Wednesday! She had fun! She doesn't remember NOW that she had fun... but she DID! It occurs to me that having alzheimers could be beneficial that way! If you THINK you're doing it for the "first time" EVERY time - then it will always be brand new! Right??? We'll seeeeeeee!

11 comment(s):

Now, if we could only get that to work for me ....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/07/2008 4:04 PM  

Sounds like fun! I'm going back to my exercise class next week. I'm still too sick.. I can barely breathe.
You are a good DIL!!
xo
LBC

By Blogger Ladybug Crossing, at 1/07/2008 5:14 PM  

Wow, sounds like quite an adventure for both of you. Good job! You go girl!

By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 1/07/2008 6:15 PM  

Hi Melli, you are really getting a workout by doing yours and helping MIL....I like to stretch after my workout at Curves.., but I am not as limber as you....I don't know why some people never stretch after their workout..Keep up the good work and help keep MIL from falling....Enjoy your night. Hugs, Baba

By Blogger Baba, at 1/07/2008 6:24 PM  

You did amazing with mom! Let me tell you, if my mom hadnt been blind, it might have been easier to get her motivated to get off her couch and MOVE...once she sat, the only excersie was getting mom back and forth to the bathroom, she didnt feel "safe" anymore...I think you are doing an amazinf job sweetie! God has a heaven up there for you, where you'll be a forever size 2 and eat whatever you like, because he has a saint in you right now! lol

By Blogger PowersTwinB, at 1/07/2008 6:41 PM  

Quite true, some things I want to reapeat as if it was the first time, lol ! but not everything !
Mr. Gattino also started Fitness last week after he got so rusty that even pick up a crumb from the floor was hard work. Pushed by wife and son he finally gave up all resistance. On top he got a new training suit from dear son and he HAS to wear it.
Somebody wrote me that for Three Kings day they put straw in their choose for the camels and the cats used it as litterbox ! Isn't that romantic ?

By Blogger Ingrid, at 1/08/2008 1:19 AM  

I go to gym classes because it is "good for me" and I think I only enjoy it because I get to see a couple of dear friends... So I would love to visit Curves when you are there to show me around :)

By Blogger MaR, at 1/08/2008 2:57 AM  

It does sound fun! Go MOM!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/08/2008 8:17 AM  

Oh, that is sad though!! I am so glad that you are so sweet to take her and to bear with her through telling and re-telling all of the time.

I am so glad that YOU WENT BACK!!

Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 1/08/2008 6:56 PM  

I love your attitude, Melli! God is using you with your MIL, I know it.

I'm glad you got out to exercise and hope that this is beneficial for you and for her.

Much Love,

Susan

By Blogger Susan, at 1/08/2008 7:07 PM  

Good job! You got out and you DID it! And she too, will only benefit from it all. :) Sounds like it was fun too! Yay!!!

By Blogger Unknown, at 1/09/2008 8:39 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home