.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Weekend's OVER? ... Finally!

It was beautiful, busy and FUN -- but I'm glad it's behind me! LOL! Friday night RELAY FOR LIFE was AWESOME!!! It always is! I just can not say enough good things about this event! But first, I DO want to THANK, one more time, those of you who donated to my walk for Cancer! I made my first goal and that was GREAT!!! Usually I put in the whole amount myself -- so you guys helping me with that allowed me to take a little more TO Relay! And all money spent AT Relay also goes to ACS!!! So, it's all good!!! If you have never been to one, I honestly urge you with ALL of my heart to make an effort to attend! Do not just donate money to a friend and let that be that! As a matter of fact... if you can only afford to give $10 or $20 dollars to ACS -- DON'T give it to a friend who's walking. GO TO RELAY!!! Take the kids, buy a hot dog and a soda - they generally sell for $1 each! Of course, there's also pulled pork sammiches, burgers, brats, you NAME it -- lots of bake sale goodies! Don't come planning to "stay on your diet"!!! Have the kids faces painted, let them play some games... My Curves team from last year does face painting and tattoos -- they get a buck for a face, and $1 for a small tattoo - $2 for a super duper size tat! Most of the games were 50 cents a pop! This year they even had Guitar Hero!!! The line was loooooong! If you have LOTS of money to donate to ACS - give a little to a friend who's walking and STILL attend the RELAY! Bring all that other money along! Use it to invest in some of the raffles! Most tickets are only a dollar a pop - but SOME are a bit more! OUR tent (First Lutheran Church) actually had someone offer RIDES in a Ferrari - Two hours - all around the county -- this wasn't even a "raffle" - it was just a buy it -- $100 for the ride! (hey - gas is almost that much these days!) LOL! Granted - not tooooooo many people bought into that -- but the few that DID will have great fun, and the money went to a GREAT cause! We also had a raffle for a 7 night Carnival Cruise -- those tickets were $5 each -- but we also had a raffle for a $500 gasoline card -- $1 per chance! All in all, there were probably 200 tents set up -- each one doing something different! Tell me you couldn't find something to interest you in all that! And... when you DO attend relay - make sure you STAY until AFTER the Luminaria Ceremony. That doesn't cost you a thing! (unless you have purchased a luminaria in honor of someone) But the ceremony itself is just so beautiful! So touching. Our event takes place on a school track -- so the entire track is lined with the bags. (on the inside and outside of the track!) When all those candles are lit... and everyone walks the track in silence, remembering those who have passed on, and honoring those who've survived... it is AWESOME! It's sending chills up my spine right now just typing about it! EVERYONE should experience this ONE time! But let me tell you something... if you do it once... you're gonna wanna do it again! It was GREAT!!! (this is my 4th time participating -- and I have attended without participating twice) So... if your town hasn't DONE their Relay yet --- think about ATTENDING this year! You won't be sorry!

I did not get to stay at Relay for as long as I would have liked to this year. Mom did GREAT - she really enjoyed the event and she walked the track right along with everyone else! As a matter of fact, when we would stop at our tent so I could see if they needed my help, Mom would get antsy and wanted to get back out there and walk! So she did really REALLY well! But along about the time the Luminaria ceremony was winding up, she was starting to fizzle out. I think because up until then, the track had been well lit and she didn't realize how late it WAS! But when they turned off all the lights - whooops! The signal hit her brain and it was all over! So we left about 10:30 and got home around 11:00.

Saturday was busy with a variety of things! First, we slept in a little bit. Then Mom, Krysti & I all went and got our nails done. We did the grocery shopping and then went to the pool for a few hours. When we got home I made dinner and then it hit me that Dennis wasn't home! OY! Friday night this wasn't a problem because RELAY was entertaining me AND Mom! But Mom's used to watching TV with Dennis in the evenings and she didn't quite know what to do with herself without him here. So I had to entertain her - we played cards for awhile until I thought I could reasonably get her into an early bed! It worked! But by then I was tired too... and I just ended up going to bed early too! I'm still working on the closet laundry - so I did two more loads while I layed in bed reading, and then it was lights out!

This morning we had church. Mom doesn't usually go with me. I like to go to Sunday School before church - and she can't sit through that! She gets too bored and fidgety. It's distracting -- to ME if not to anyone else! But I'm pretty sure it's distracting to everyone! So this morning I stayed home from Sunday School - sad because today was the last session for the summer - and we just went to church. We had a visiting Pastor today - which amazingly, I was looking FORWARD to! *nods* Yep! Used to be that I didn't want ANY other minister preaching to me than Pastor Paul... but NOW, while I do still LOVE to hear my Pastor preach, I also enjoy someone different from time to time! Pastor speaks eloquently - and he almost always speaks to my heart - but still - I know God will speak to me through whoever is on the pulpit! And today it was Rev. Aurelio Magarino -- a most delightful Hispanic gentlemen who we had to really REALLY listen to in order to get his message! But if you DID listen closely, you were rewarded greatly!!! He gave an awesome sermon on taking care of our own personal ministries. On not NEEDING to go to another country to be a missionary... that our mission IS right here. It was something that I need to hear - OFTEN! I spend a lot of time wishing I was in Africa, or Haiti, or Venezuela ministering to people who aren't my family! But he (and HE) reminded me that MY family is in deep need of ministering!!! Anyway... I enjoyed it. I enjoyed him! I hope he comes again sometime!

Boy, this got long. I didn't intend it to be like that! LOL! I'm off to the laundry room now! The dryer is beeping at me! (again!)

8 comment(s):

My party guests will be arriving soon. I just popped in to say, I am so proud of you and you have an awesome miniery right here. Did you know that?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/15/2008 8:43 PM  

You are really something Melli! I am so proud of you!!!

By Blogger Maribeth, at 6/15/2008 9:06 PM  

That is a great sermon on taking care of your own. I think that is soooo very right and I'm glad he came to this country to minister to you and tell you that. :) I love to read about all the things you do and the changes you have made in your life. I heart you, gal.

By Blogger Amber Star, at 6/15/2008 9:21 PM  

That sounds like am awesome message and a needed reminder to us all.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/15/2008 11:43 PM  

Wow ! what a weekend for you !! Wonderful ! I just drove around a little in my new car and otherwise was freezing it was 52 ° ! can you imagine ?

By Blogger Ingrid, at 6/16/2008 5:11 AM  

You are amazing!! and what a weekend you had!

By Blogger MaR, at 6/16/2008 10:28 AM  

Busy, busy, busy Melli!
Sounds like you had a great weekend!
My Mom is a breast cancer survivor so this time of year always makes me thankful it was caught in time. All relays aren't always as elaborate as yours; but all very worthwhile and well, you know how much fun!

By Blogger Carletta, at 6/16/2008 12:28 PM  

I didn't think it was too long. I loved your description of how people did so many different things all for the same goal.
I am so glad that you are taking care of your mother and not sticking her away somewhere. Betty and I have great memories oftaking care of our mothers.
I wish I could hear Pastor Paul.

By Blogger Dr.John, at 6/16/2008 6:47 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home