.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday's Fave Five...


Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts Friday Fave Five in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Thank you Susanne for hosting this inspirational sharing game!

Oh goodness! I am HERE people! I am HERE! Maybe I should explain... for those not in the know - and even for those who are... we are in the season of Lent right now. I AM one of those who does "something" to honor God and bring myself closer to him during this time... and this year I have chosen to give him the FIRST hour (or sometimes two) of my day, in prayer journaling and Bible reading. (which is in addition to my 3 weekly Bible studies) So that is why I am not getting here early anymore. I try to get posts ready to auto-post during the night -- but that doesn't always happen either. So I am around... just not quite as much! Or quite as early. Now... Lets get on with my FAVES!

1. My BEAUTIFUL day in DC on Sunday. Just walking around the city amongst the tall buildings ... and the old buildings. I'm not really fond of where old meets new... but I still appreciate both. I just wish if they're going to build new they would do ALL new ... I didn't take a picture but there was one block that had brand new high rises along the whole block - except one little rundown brownstone right smack dab in the middle -- and it just looked SILLY! Somebody must really LOVE that little building though... cuz there it sits! Sometimes they can work together. THIS one on the corner worked nicely...



2. Black beans. These yummy little nuggets have become such a favorite lately that they are actually becoming a PROBLEM! Beans are very healthy - but they are NOT low in calories. I am a BIG eater and portion control is my biggest problem. So a whopping serving of black beans and rice is NOT a good thing! But the black beans ARE a good thing. MAN, I LOVE 'EM!!! Anybody got some gOOd recipes for them that don't include the extra calories of rice? :)

3. Honest auto mechanics. Amanda's car needs a new transmission, and she has a guy that has really gone out of his way, above and beyond to find her the BEST deal and the best price on labor - even though it's not HIS! How many mechanics will do THAT for you? I'm sO impressed!

4. Last night. Impromptu visits from the kids! First Hector stopped by before he picked Luz up at the bus stop. He left. Then Amanda showed up a few minutes later ... apparently they had a little mis-communication about who was picking Luz up! LOL! She stayed for a couple of hours. Then Derek showed up to do laundry. And Krysti was home too. The only kid I didn't get to see yesterday was Mathew! I need to make an appointment to see him! ;)

5. The best of the best was... we did NOT get ANY snow yesterday!!! Whooo hooo! But boy did we get WIND! Even today - we are blowin' awaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

NOT a favorite -- I did not lose ANY weight this week. My own fault. I only exercised two days. THAT will not do it for me! I MUST pedal an hour a day. Period! And so I will. And now, I'm coming to visit y'all!



Labels:

21 comment(s):

Well we got snow and WIND today. :) What a winter it has been. Love your pic from DC. I always wonder about buildings like that also, how do they survive? It's a neat pic, that reminds me of days gone by in DC.

Sorry no good black bean recipes?

So glad to hear of all the visits from your kids. So heartwarming for any mom.
I think that it is awesome that you are committing to give God the first part of your day. Great thing to work on.
Hang in there with the losing the weight. Once you get through the toughest part, it will all become a new habit. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2010 10:44 AM  

I'm glad you didn't get any snow. I rarely have the news on in the mornings, but I had it on this morning and it showed a lot of snow further north. I'm glad it bypassed you.

I don't like new building plopped next to old, either, generally, unless they really try to make the two styles work with each other.

I am not a fan of black beans. I'll let you have my share. But I AM a fan of good, honest mechanics! Glad Amanda found one!

By Anonymous Barbara H., at 2/26/2010 10:45 AM  

I have switched to Edamame from black beans because they're about 1/2 the calories. I LOVE them.
I am also a volume eater. So I read constantly trying to find low calories for my daily intake!

By Blogger Maribeth, at 2/26/2010 11:16 AM  

A no snow day is a good day! I'm thankful for your respite.

Black bean chili? Any recipe with kidney beans can be cooked with black beans.

I agree that seeing 'the kids' is the best! I saw all of mine this week, if you count seeing one by Skype.

Lent sneaked up on me this year and I didn't choose anything to 'give up'. I can jump in late cant' I?

By Blogger Willow, at 2/26/2010 11:17 AM  

*insert something encouraging about pedaling everyday* I know that's not a very satisfactory comment but I'm drawing a blank! I hate exercising. So I'll cheer you on!

What a cool picture from your walk around D.C. Thanks for sharing it!

By Blogger Carrie, at 2/26/2010 11:27 AM  

Glad you didn't get any snow! NYC appears to have gotten it all. YAY for you!

Black beans. We make black bean soup. I found that it doesn't make any difference to me if you spend the day cooking them or open a can. Our super quick bbsoup is 1can of beans, one can of chicken broth, and one can of Rotel. We like spicy...but Rotel makes milder ones. If you like to go the long way add some chopped cilantro, chopped onions, and carrots, cumin powder, and when you serve it have some tortilla chips on the side. Not too low cal, but it is good and good when it is cold. Heck we eat it all year round. Our daughter who is pencil thin eats black bean soup. Portion control is a good thing.

You can throw a handful of black beans into a salad. Good protein and not so many calories, because there aren't as many beans in one place.

I need to check with Maribeth about the edemame. I bought some, but haven't actually got around to eating it...I don't really know what to do with it.

By Blogger Amber Star, at 2/26/2010 11:31 AM  

Black beans? I remember I tried some when you took me to lunch, it's delicious, I agree.
I love that old brownstone, and I love the contrast with the new buildings. I think they should go hand in hand. What would happen to London if they would one day decide to demolish old buildings because they want only new?
It's good to have (almost) all the children home, isn't it? Have a great week Melli!

By Blogger Jientje, at 2/26/2010 12:28 PM  

We got snow and wind today! We are in Rhode Island and it is a bit chilly here!

By Anonymous quilly, at 2/26/2010 12:30 PM  

We use black bean with fish. You make a sauce with it and it's pretty good. Not my favorite I must say but I'll eat it. Glad you got no snow and WOOT for honesty :) Have a great Friday my dalrin :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2010 12:47 PM  

The poor east coast keeps getting blasted! I am in MN and we are having a long winter but not too bad...

I long for a visit from my dd...

Have a great weekend

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2010 12:56 PM  

I love your Lent commitment. I pray it will bring you great peace and a closer relationship with the Lord. I admire you.

Honest auto mechanics? Definitely a blessing.

By Anonymous Lisa notes..., at 2/26/2010 2:19 PM  

Could you spice up the black beans as though you were making a beans and rice dish but then brown some turkey smoked kielbasa and cut that up and put it in the beans. That would add flavor but lighter calories because it would be turkey and you wouldn't need rice. Just a thought. Keep up the good work. I'm going through the same thing here.

By Blogger TXDidi, at 2/26/2010 2:21 PM  

THANKS!!!! For telling me I left the wrong link this morning.....boy I had no idea. I was wondering why everyone was commenting on an old post. LOL You're GREAT! :)

Signed,
Clueless :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2010 3:52 PM  

Well knock me over with a feather - I assumed black beans WERE low cal...bummer!

I love the photo you have of the buildings. Seeing the contrast is interesting.

By Blogger elizabeth, at 2/26/2010 4:25 PM  

We had students visiting DC this week...wonder if you crossed paths at all.

An honest mechanic? Take that guy home and feed him. We have one too, and they're your best friends, aren't they?

Take care and happy weekend.

By Blogger Laura@OutnumberedMom, at 2/26/2010 10:28 PM  

The Sunday school kids at church put together a 10-bean soup mix and are selling them to raise money for TOP (Teens Opposing Poverty) -- a mission that our youth group is involved in.
I bought 2 jars and have already cooked up a lovely batch of homemade soup. I don't know the calorie count, but there is NO RICE and it is delicious and quite filling. I was satisfied tonight with a small bowlful and an orange. That was much better than what I usually make: homemade taco soup, to which I then add cheese and sour cream and eat 2 big bowlfuls.

I'm sure that you will see a loss again next week. I cheer for you each time I see your ticker with your wonderful progress. GO MELLI!!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2010 10:32 PM  

My my black beans. I love to dot them on my tofu and I'm having them on my beef this week. Yum! I love the aura of history on that building. Visits from your kids sounds busily fun :)

Thanks for the lyrics you left. I'll try to see if I can find them on youtube. Have a great weekend, Melli.

By Blogger Hazel, at 2/26/2010 11:13 PM  

I think you could solve the pedaling problem if you could read at the same time. Isn't that possible ? There must be book holders. I would get bored if I had to pedal without doing something. That's maybe why you don't pedal enough. The old and new buildings together is a plague we have here so often ! I think it is a shame to destroy these beautiful old buildings. Now they try to safe what is safable !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 2/27/2010 1:48 AM  

I love black beans, or most any beans too! What about a nice black bean taco salad with lots more veggies than taco?

How fun that all your kids came by like that! That would certainly make my day!

That is a cool building.

By Blogger Susanne, at 2/27/2010 3:42 PM  

Your DC photo surprised me -- I thought DC was hip deep in snow! That #3 is certainly something to be grateful for :-)

By Anonymous nikkipolani, at 2/27/2010 7:53 PM  

Hey girlfriend, been busy writing and getting out prayer letters. The last two months have been really "lean" for faith based ministries. Charlie lost one of his hearing aides and we were distressed thinking it would be over a thousand dollars to replace. God is good all the time and he was able to find it so we are praising the Lord here in Virginia. Miss you.

By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 2/28/2010 6:28 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home