.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunday Thoughts....


I was thinking this morning about some of the songs I remember from Church when I was a child... the ooollllddd hymns... many we rarely hear or sing anymore because they've been replaced by updated, more modern songs of faith and inspiration. But I still LOVE the old songs... and this is one of my absolute favorites! This song takes me back to St. Rose of Lima, which at the time was just a weeeee little church. It only held about 200 people! When I was 16, Father "Jim" came to St. Rose! He had long hair and looked like our imagined Jesus Christ! He brought with him a guitar and and a new fangled Folk Mass! I loved it! But, I left the area in 1975, and though I did come back to have my oldest baptized there in 1981, St. Rose has grown since then, as has the parish. I'm sure I wouldn't even recognize it anymore! I understand they have added on to the quaint little chapel and "modernized" everything. But I like going back, in my mind, to the old version!

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Praise Him in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, Who over all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires ever have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, Who hath fearfully, wondrously, made thee;
Health hath vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling, hath stayed thee.
What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?
Wings of His mercy did shade thee.

Praise to the Lord, Who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.


There are several more verses, but this is as far as we usually went when we sang it! Do you have an OLD favorite hymn? Or even a new favorite?

15 comment(s):

You probably remember different songs from church, but Alan Jackson put out a cd a while back called Precious Memories that I just love. I remember the ones from the Baptist or Methodist church.

Here is a link to the cd Precious Memories

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2006 1:03 PM  

I'm impressed that you remember that much of an old hymn. I don't think I could have even remember the first verse. I don't have any old or new favorites, but I have noticed the more modernized versions that you are talking about.

By Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess, at 10/15/2006 2:05 PM  

Melli -- I have so many old hymns I adore. Recently my siblings and I were talking about The Old Rugged Cross, because my brother always sang it so well, and we all have special memories of singing it with him.

I am also fond of, "Here I Am, LOrd," because it is the one I was singing the day I raised my hand and put my self on the ministry path. I am a children's evangelist and have run a ministry for the past six years that takes the church into inner-city neighborhoods. We have a truck that converts into a sound stage and every Saturday we "take church to children who are not taken to church."

By Blogger Charlene Amsden, at 10/15/2006 3:19 PM  

Victory in Jesus was my very favorite hymn. I still love it.

By Blogger Margaret, at 10/15/2006 4:54 PM  

Thanks for asking Melli. My daughter called me this morning and she and my other daughter is okay. None of us can get ahold of my son, because of all the power being off. I've been watching CNN news and the KITV news station on my computer. It's a live broadcast and they are the only station operating right now.

I'll keep you informed. Thank you for being concerned. You are such a beautiful person.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2006 5:39 PM  

The song made me feel happy. Sunshine blanket of love! :=D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2006 7:07 PM  

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus" sung by Cynthia Clawson. Awesome.

Stop by and read my Monday Memories.

By Blogger Norma, at 10/15/2006 7:10 PM  

What wonderful memories you have
They played "The Old Rugged Cross" at my grandfather's funeral I didnt even know he was a Christain when he was alive - thanks to my parents :(
I also love "Amazing Grace" all the verses!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2006 8:18 PM  

I LOVE "Take My Hand Precious Lord"...preferably sung by a Gospel singer, please...!
It makes me cry. Beautiful song.

By Blogger OldLady Of The Hills, at 10/15/2006 10:41 PM  

"Old rugged cross" - still gives me goose bumps. "What a Friend we have in Jesus" is pretty cool too. :)

By Blogger Carmen, at 10/16/2006 8:53 AM  

Amazing Grace gets me every time.

By Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert, at 10/16/2006 9:39 AM  

Just a Closer Walk with Thee, and I'll Fly Away are just a few of the hymns I love ....also "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" (which is a good Lutheran Hymn!)

By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 10/16/2006 9:49 AM  

That's a beautiful hymnal! It reminds me of the Hawai'ian Doxology that goes like this:

Ho‘onani i ka Makua mau,
Ke Keiki me ka ‘Uhane no,
Ke Akua mau ho‘omaika‘i pu,
Ko keia ao, ko kela ao.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Thank you for sharing that. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/16/2006 12:05 PM  

Well, Precious Memories was my grandpa's favorite hymn and I think it is my favorite one too but they played Amazing Grace on the bagpipes at my dad's funeral and that is beautiful too.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/16/2006 12:10 PM  

One of my favorite hymnals is *Just A Closer Walk With Thee* and then there is this song called *He Will Carry You*. Have you heard that one? My son and I sang it for Charley in the hospital and I played it at his services. I love that song.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/17/2006 9:01 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home