.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Friday, May 08, 2009

Things We Should Never EVER Admit To...

In the past few days many of us have completed a meme about 20 firsts in our lives. One of the questions was who was your first favorite male performer? Whilst I was back in my babyhood responding with Captain Kangaroo... Quilly was moving above and beyond into our teenage years and reminded me of my heartthrob... Bobby Sherman! Now surely he was not the "only" ... I distinctly remember having pictures of The Monkees, The Cowsills and David Cassidy on my walls too... but Bobby Sherman WAS the MAIN object of my affection. For a few years!!! He was not only on my walls - he was on my CEILING! Yes... he was. And what's more - I wasn't all that interested in having a REAL boyfriend - because I ONLY had eyes for Bobby! And I just kneeeeeew that if I could just meet him, he would certainly fall head over heels for ME too! Of course he would! Who could resist a cute little BUXOM redhead like myself? All my sisters told me so! (honestly... I had NO self confidence at all at this stage of my life -- but I was positive Bobby Sherman would love me - if I could just some how MAKE IT HAPPEN!) And then... pant, pant, pant.... oh my gosh! oh my gosh!... a chance! A REAL chance! 16 Magazine PUBLISHED Bobby Sherman's AGENT's phone number!!! For REAL! I called my best friend, Patti! I was sO excited! C'mon girlfriend! WE got a PHONE CALL to make! Now, even I had enough sense to know that I better not be makin' any long distance phone calls to Bobby Sherman's AGENT from my home phone - my mother would KILL me. But at that point I was making $50 a week babysitting and I was money-bags herself! So, I didn't know how much this long distance call was gonna cost - but I knew it was going to be a bit -- and I wanted to talk for awhile! Especially IF Bobby Sherman just HAPPEND to be IN his agent's office when I called -- and why WOULDN'T he be??? He would be there! Of course he would! So Patti and I grabbed a big ol' jar and walked up to the mini mall -- it was just maybe a mile from my house. It was a hangout... and it had pay phones ... right in the middle of the mall! I took all my money and went to the bank. I got about A $100 dollars worth of quarters and we dumped 'em ALL in my jar! I didn't want to be fumblin' around trying to open quarter rolls while I was talking to the LOVE of my LIFE! No sir! So armed with a million quarters I headed to the pay phones and I started shovin' in quarters. Then I dialed the number and the operator told me I needed some mORe quarters to complete the call. I put in the required many, and waited while it rang. Low and behold a receptionist answered saying the name of the agency, and I asked to speak to so & so - whatever the agents name was, and I was told he was not in the office at the moment, but would be back shortly. Could she take a message and have him get back to me? *sigh* Well, NO... that wouldn't work! I said no... I would call back in a little while. Patti and I hung around and hung around and 10 minutes later decided that had been long enough and I tried again. No, he still wasn't in... but if she could have my number he WOULD get back to me. No no no... I'm in a phone booth - that won't work. When do you think he'll be in? Well, she wasn't sure - she expected him any time - but that's the way agents are - you just never know. I said I would try back in again in just a little while. Now, I do honestly NOT remember how many quarters it was taking me to get through to the receptionist each time -- but long distance calls were NOT cheap back then - and it was at least a few dollars each time. Ultimately, it took me about 5 or 6 tries before the guy was in! Then, THEN she decides to screen the call! Who may I say is calling? And what is this in reference to? Are you kidding me? He's Bobby Sherman's AGENT! I want to find out how I can go about MEETING Bobby! Oh my... then things got hairy. She had already told me he WAS in... but now he didn't want to speak to me (she didn't say that - but you know that's what it was!) but I cried and she wouldn't hang up on me. She MADE him speak to me! ROFL!!! Of course, he broke my heart! He told me Bobby was NOT in his office and that I couldn't meet him! That if I wanted to see him I would have to buy a ticket to one of his concerts just like everyone else -- and it didn't matter a FIG to him that I was MELLI! And that Bobby Sherman would really REALLY want to know me! He was rude. He was cruel. I knew that if Bobby could hear the way he talked to me, he would FIRE him! I just knew it! But HE wouldn't even give Bobby MY home phone number. He was that mean. It was just sooooooooo sad. But hey... not EVERYbody got to talk person to person with Bobby Sherman's AGENT! I wish I had been as creative as the little girl who mailed herself to him! He OPENED the box! SHE got to meet him! I should have been more tenacious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this story not speak volumes about how much more INNOCENT we were just 35 years ago? It never occured to any of my children that they might actually get to MEET one of their favorite performers! It certainly never occurred to any of them to try to contact one... Or ... maybe my children were just smarter people than I was! I dunno. Or maybe they just didn't have 16 Magazine publishing agent's phone numbers... What do YOU think? Did you ever think about trying something this dumb? Oh please... DO share! Don't let ME be the only one!

14 comment(s):

Oh, Melli, your post brought back so many dear memories and dreams of handsome young ones!! ::sigh:: Loved reading your post and that innocent story.

By Blogger MaR, at 5/08/2009 1:43 AM  

Quilly you have just been demoted to Princess. We have a new Queen of the BS Fan Club. All hail Queen Melli. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2009 1:58 AM  

Melli you were too romantic ! I am 10 years older but never I or my friends tried to get in touch with an actor. We all were dreaming about them (when I was 13,14 I loved Rock Hudson) but it would have never come in my mind to meet him, lol ! Actually I only met Michael Jackson when he was sitting in a black limousine, because I was just standing there ! My son loved him and I went with him to a concert in Brussels.

By Blogger Ingrid, at 5/08/2009 2:01 AM  

I never tried to meet a celebrity. I never figured one would want to talk to ordinary ol' me. In fact, I so never thought a celebrity would think much of me, that when I met Rick Springfield and talked to him for a bit about his cool car, I didn't even know who I was talking to. My friend, who couldn't get past the security I sauntered right past without a glitch, freaked out when I let him walk away without getting an autograph -- or a marriage proposal -- out of him.

By Anonymous quilly, at 5/08/2009 3:53 AM  

Melli ~ Maybe Bobby Sherman will read this, you know how the Internet is.

He may do a google search on something and will be linked to your blog. You may get to meet him yet.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2009 4:23 AM  

Melli, you are profound dreamer determined to make your dreams a reality. You are amazing.

By Blogger Nessa, at 5/08/2009 6:24 AM  

That's what I love about you! You and I are the same age and I can so relate to everything you say. Although we can still be friends. It was David Cassidy that did it for me!
What I want to know is: what was wrong with those two that they passed us up?

By Blogger Maribeth, at 5/08/2009 7:26 AM  

ROFL!! I admire your gumption!! Wow, this brings back so many memories. David Cassidy, Davy Jones, and Bobby Sherman were my main three first "crushes." My fantasies tended to be along the line that they might come to my home town, and I might happen to meet them while out walking or at the local mini mart or some such, and we'd strike up a casual conversation, and they'd be so taken with this simple home town girl that they'd want to keep in touch, etc. Silly, silly, silly.

You know, The Old Fart may be right. I have had responses from authors after mentioning them or their books -- there is some way to have an alert when your name comes up on the Internet. If Bobby had something like that set up he would be wondering why the sudden surge in mention of his name and viewing of his You Tube videos!!!

By Anonymous Barbara H., at 5/08/2009 8:42 AM  

I so enjoyed this story Melli, so funny!!
I'm not sure I have ever tried to meet a celebrety, not the way you did anyway. What happened to me was that a local Belgian celebrity came up to greet me!! I was window shopping in Bruges when a handsome guy in a red sportscar arrived. He parked his car, and I must have glanced in his direction. ( It was the sportscar that caught my attention, but the guy was used to people staring at him I suppose?) Anyway, he climbed out of his car, and came up to shake MY hand!! ROFL!!! I almost wet my pants, I can tell you!!
When I came home and told the story to my boyfriend's mother, she was very very angry and she said I made up the whole story!! Honest to God I wasn't!!

And boy was he handsome!

By Blogger Jientje, at 5/08/2009 11:10 AM  

I don't think it's that the kids never figured out how to contact a celebrity. I think it's that they grew up with stalker laws. ;) :)

By Anonymous Lisa, at 5/08/2009 11:56 AM  

That is a great story, Melli. I didn't ever try to call any stars, though. However, there is one incident that is burned into my mind. I got a job at an insurance agency...it was very small and eventually I got my boss to hire my sister. Her typewriter was broken and so I dialed up Brown Typewriter Supply, the company who had worked on it to tell them it still wasn't working right. The woman I was talking with wasn't helpful at all and was sort of rude to boot. So, in my infiniate wisdom and age (30 something) I haughtily asked to speak with Mr. Brown. There was a silence on the other end of the phone and then she told me that Mr. Brown had passed on some years before. Oy..That was not one of my finer moments, but my sister and I still refer to that whenever we think someone needs a good talking to. :)

That isn't a celebrity story..I already told you about mine, but it is one humbling story for sure. But my sister and I have gotte a lot of mileage out of it. :)

By Blogger Amber Star, at 5/08/2009 2:09 PM  

I was never in love with a movie star unless you count Trigger and the horse didn't have a phone.

By Blogger Dr.John, at 5/08/2009 5:39 PM  

I meet them but don't talk. Jimmy Stewart I saw doing a movie. My son gave directions to Amy Grants driver when we both got lost going to her concert. I gave directions to the Harlem Globe Ttotters they were going to the Catholic Church to play in their gym and they found our church so they followed our car to the Catholic Church.

By Blogger bettygram, at 5/09/2009 12:28 AM  

Melli,
I really enjoyed reading this! What a great story and you tell it so well, I could picture it all!!

By Blogger Kathy, at 5/10/2009 2:00 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home