Now & Then... Then & Now... whatever!
Then: August 1999
1. Age: 42.
2. Romantic Status: Married to Dennis. (it occurs to me that doesn't really answer the ROMANCE part of the question!) LOL!
3. Occupation: Substitute school teacher - Middle school level.
4. Fun night out: School events or Little League Baseball/Soccer games.
5. My BFFs: Gail, Judi... my kids.
6. I spent way too much time: Trying to be in control.
7. I spent not enough time: Relaxing/chilling.
8. I wanted to be when I grew up: I was already grown up and ALL I wanted to BE was a Mom! I didn't want to BE anything ELSE!
9. Biggest concern: Keeping my kids out of trouble.
10. What my biggest concern should have been: Teaching my children about God and WHY they should stay out of trouble.
11. Where did I live: Southern Maryland.
12. Dumbest thing I did that year: Can't think of precisely which one, but I'm sure it was a parenting mistake!
13. If I could go back now and talk to myself I would say: Get it straight Melli. Get back to God, and take care of this mess.
14. Picture of me then: It would be a lot of trouble to find one... and I haven't changed much.
Now: August 2009
1. Age: 52
2. Romantic Status: Still married to Dennis... (still not answering the ROMANCE part!)
3. Occupation: Caretaker to MIL.
4. Fun night out: Dinner and ANYTHING with my kids.
5. My BFFs: Gail & Judi are still friends... but we're not close like we used to be. Mostly I just hang out with my adult children. I also have some on-line friends who have become very close, and have acquired church friends that I like to spend time with too!
6. I spend way too much time: Sitting at the computer.
7. I spend not enough time: Exercising.
8. I want to be when I grow up: I'm still grown up -- but I haven't figured out yet what I want to be! I have time yet, I think!
9. Biggest concern: Is between me and God - and He'd rather I forget it and let Him handle it.
10. What my biggest concern should be: Forgetting about my biggest concern and just letting Him handle it!
11. Where do I live: Same place - same house!
12. Dumbest thing I have done this year: Hmmm... the year's not over yet! Ummm... OH! It was just yesterday come to think of it! While at the beach... I bought 6 - EXACTLY 6 - very special little treats for Luz & her guests at her birthday party next weekend! For a few minutes I bounced around the idea of buying an extra one or two - but they were kind of expensive, so I said no... I'll just buy 6. I FAILED to tell my darling daughter that I had done this... and TODAY Amanda invited a 7th child to Luz's party! Now, I can't drive back up to the beach to get another one... and I can't give them to the SOME and leave one out! GREAT!
13. What I think I would say to myself in 10 years: You're making progress!
Summary:
1. What do I miss most from 1999: I honestly DO miss Little League & Soccer.
2. What do I miss least from 1999: I do NOT miss worrying so much about if my kids were getting involved in drugs or alcohol, or what their grades would be. I think obsessing about it may have pushed them more toward it than keeping them from it! But who knows?
3. What have I accomplished in 10 years that I am most proud of: I don't know that I'm "proud" of it... but I'm very HAPPY about it -- renewing my relationship with Jesus.
4. What have I NOT accomplished in 10 years that I wish I had: Well... I think the goals that I had were inappropriate. God had different plans for me than what I had for myself... so I don't think there is anything that I wish I HAD done that I haven't. But I think I need to continue in the direction I am moving ...








8 comment(s):
I'd say my Darlin' you need to make a trip back and buy one...you gonna feel guilty if you dont. Is this making you feel even more guilty? LOL. I love the romance part LOL. Too funny. Exercise? what's that? And by the way...yes I could shoot that damn beast. The reek havoc!!
By
Anonymous, at
8/10/2009 3:57 PM
Squirrels need love, too! Tell Dennis to weld a barbed wire wrap around the chain that secures the bird house to the tree. The squirrel won't like the ouchies. Dennis wins, squirrel lives.
And Thom is correct. (Don't tell him I said that.) Road trip!
By
quilly, at
8/10/2009 4:08 PM
Interesting the difference between the two.
I think there is a good deal of romance between you and Dennis. At least I felt that when you talked about him when you were here.
Instead of going after another one get something a little better for Luz ans say she is getting something different and very special because she is the birthday girl.
Shoot the squirrel.
By
Dr.John, at
8/10/2009 6:28 PM
Aaaack, Thom and Dr John, both peace loving men, I THOUGHT, but they would shoot such an innocent looking squirrel! Aaack! I don't understand what you guys have against them? Quilly's solutions sounds reasonable, I'd go for that one!
And yes, you'll need to take that trip to the beach again, or opt for Dr John's solutiun, not bad either!
#6 and #7 are closely related, and so are your answers! LOL!
By
Jientje, at
8/11/2009 2:36 AM
Dennis and I will be the biggest ennemies if he dares to touch one hair of the squirrels !
I think you raised your children very well and god has nothing to do with it. At the end is always the adult person who chooses if she or he wants to be a christian or a buddist or whatever. I know a lot of people who don't believe in god anymore because they had too much "god" in their childhood. Believing is a very private thing and has nothing to do with education. It's each persons personal choice.
By
Ingrid, at
8/11/2009 7:06 AM
Love your romantic status missing the answer to the romance part!!
I am with you now with nrs. 6 and 7...
And I love your positive thinking (nr. 13)!!
By
MaR, at
8/11/2009 7:43 AM
This is an interesting one. I'd have to think about it -- I don't know if much has changed in answer to those specifics questions in my ten years' past.
The best part is having renewed your relationship with Christ. :-) Best step ever!
We all do make parenting mistakes -- as our kids will find out with their own kids.
By
Barbara H., at
8/11/2009 8:37 PM
Now that was a FUN one. I might have to try! I love it that you can look back to that time and compare it to now and see that your renewed relationship with Jesus is so precious. Maybe one kid won't show up at Luz's party....OR maybe one will leave early. Just keep them in case you can use them that day.
HUGS,
Susan
By
Susan, at
8/12/2009 2:29 PM
Post a comment
<< Home