Sandy Point & Catch Up...
You probably don't need a million more pictures of my (grand)kids at the beach... but just to point out a few things... This was actually (in alllllllllllllll the years I've lived here ... my whole life minus two years...) my FIRST time to Sandy Point! Once I got there I knew how CRAZY that is!!! This place is wonderful!
First off, you get to watch the kids play against the backdrop of THIS view! That's our Bay Bridge and we LOVE it! We love to drive over it, we love to WALK over it on that one day a year they close one side to traffic and let us do that, and we love to just sit and look at it! It's a wonderful bridge!
Sandy Point has the weirdest sand I've ever come across on a beach! (I have heard of Hawaii's black sand - but I've never actually been on it!) But this beach is like orange builders sand! Uncleaned. I mean it still has lots of stones and pebbles in it. Very strange! Certainly not the clean white sand I'm used to when I go to the beach! But still fun to dig and build in, none the less! It did make me wonder how ONE bay beach has one kind, and another bay beach has another kind though... that will be a research project one day.
The only picture of me and all 4 kids in the whole 3 weeks!Finally PROOF that I was WITH them! Even if two were
lookin' the other way!
While we were there, this huuuuuuge ship went by... and had I kept my camera out, it got a LOT closer to us! As a matter of fact, due the way the land curves, at one point it looked like it was coming right up onto the beach! It was funny! But anyway... the Texas Trio were very excited about this boat -- and thought it might be another cruise ship (we had seen one in Baltimore Harbor on Friday) ... so they learned that there are OTHER ships that are also big that are not for pleasure, but actually for work! This opened some eyes! You know... you hear in school about how products move around the world - but when you actually SEE a cargo ship - that makes things "stick" a little. They also wondered what the NYK stood for. They guessed New York King! Good a guess as any... So when I got home I did some research and found that THIS ship - NYK Lines Artemis Leader - sails under Panama's flag, and carry's vehicles - 4000 at a time! The NYK stands for Nippon Yusen Kaisha - ship builders out of Japan. Apparently one of the larger ones.... and it appears they do build cruise ships as well. Isn't it amazing how something as simple as a boat sails by can lead to so much information???
THIS one however sailed by and we just enjoyed it...learned nothing! Looks like a lot of people on board
were enjoying it too!
And then - because Thom asked yesterday -
what HAPPENED to those 6 special treats I had gotten for
the birthday party?
Well... I waited until the first child left... who also happened
to BE the 7th child invited... and then I gave them to the
remaining six as favors at the end - instead of having them on
the table when they sat down.
And here they are!
They are gummy kabobs that I gotat Candy Kitchen - which is only at the
Eastern Shore beaches!
Since they had had ENOUGH sweets at
the party, they took them home to save
for another day.
They brought them to the beach for after
lunch.
It amazed me that both GIRLS startedeating theirs from the BOTTOM.
Saving those little bears on top for LAST!I didn't get pics of the boys with theirs - and theirs
had clown heads on top - which they promptly bit
off and worked their way down! The boys kabobs
disappeared in about 5 minutes! The girls each took
half of theirs home.
I think Rhianna was giving praise to thesugar gods here!
At any rate - they were a BIG hit!







9 comment(s):
Well I'm glad to see that you were really there...No Hat? Even Ester Williams wore something in the water LOL. What an excellent day at the beach. You know I think, if I'm not mistaken, there is no longer a black sand beach on the Big Island. It was called Kamoamoa and it was covered in about 50 - 70 feet of lava. If I'm not also mistaken, there is another one down in Hana on Maui. How clever you are to wait until one of the kids, and how fortunate it was the 7th one to give out those cute gummy kabobs. Brilliant idea and how fun they look. That last picture that you captioned is the bomb. :)
By
Anonymous, at
8/18/2009 2:28 PM
What a great day!! I want a gummy kabobs too! Look so cute! You all had so much fun!!! Hugs Grams
By
Talk..to..Grams, at
8/18/2009 2:54 PM
What fun! There's nothing like the beach, sand and kids. It's just FUN! I love the kabobs! They look delish!
Thanks for being excited with us over Warren's weight loss. It is so great to have friends to share this with.
By
Jane, at
8/18/2009 4:36 PM
Oh what a wonderful day!
By
Maribeth, at
8/18/2009 4:54 PM
Smart move with the favors! I feel my blood sugar rising just looking at those kabobs -- I've never seen anything like that.
I've never seen sand like that, either.
You would've made a great home-schooling mom, learning all the info. about the things you saw! Although, maybe doing it this way will cause the kids to see learning interesting stuff is a fun and important part of life, not just school.
Those kids are going to have such great memories of their time there!
By
Barbara H., at
8/18/2009 5:32 PM
And you gave those wonderful things to the kids. That was adult candy.
You sure did seem to have a wonderful time.I'm happy for you.
You will miss them when they go home.
By
Dr.John, at
8/18/2009 5:42 PM
Ooo! I love that you got one with all them together! :) Even if 2 are backwards - it's PROOF! :) Cannot believe you've never been to that beach - where you been girl?! ;)
Those kabobs look YUMMY! I DO TOO love how Rhi and Luz started at the bottom. Great minds... ;)
By
Unknown, at
8/18/2009 7:59 PM
Those sugar kabobs look wonderful, but I am thinking you could make them yourself for a lot less money!
The kids looked like they had a blast at the beach -even that big red-headed kid.
And as to the watching of a boat leading to knowledge -- I love the internet. Any "I wonder" that crosses my mind has the possibility of being answered just as quickly!
By
quilly, at
8/19/2009 2:32 AM
Hey Melli! Just dropping in!! I have not been to Sandy Point since I was a young un'. I remember it well. I am going to have to take the kids there, as they have never been. It is about a hour and a half drive from my home. Love the gummy kabobs. Hope Ella is well. I will have to drop in on Dr. John.
By
Living Life, at
8/19/2009 9:32 PM
Post a comment
<< Home