Christmas Day...
I always knew to expect that Christmas would be "different" once the kids moved out. But I couldn't help but laugh at THIS Christmas! Of course, old Christmas at our house began about 4:30 in the morning... certainly NO later than 6:00... Krysti simply wouldn't allow it! *New* and *Improved* Christmas began at 4:30 also! In the PM side of the day! LOL! Christmas Eve Amanda had stopped by to drop off Hector's TOP SECRET Christmas present -- a new bike. He would not get it at her house Christmas morning - but would be told that his was at my house. I asked Amanda what time they thought they would get here and she said between 1 and 2... I said "Okay! 3 it is" ... knowing that Amanda is always ... ALWAYS late. Derek came over around 1 or 1:30... Krysti finally woke up around 2:00... I asked them if they wanted to open their stockings - but they prefered to wait for the others, and that was fine too. I was finishing up baking some desserts, Dennis would be cooking the steaks on the grill, and I had a lasagne that I had put together the day before but had not baked yet.Well... 2 arrived ... no Amanda. At 2:30 we got a text that they would be leaving by 3! Okay... Mathew got here about 3:30... and Amanda pulled in shortly later. Then we got a text that Luz had fallen asleep on the way and she was sitting in the car letting her sleep for a bit! LOL! Hector and his mom and sister then arrived and introductions were made and greetings said and I suggested that maybe we should go ahead and eat first and then spend a liesurely evening opening gifts ... but no... the kids were too excited! Luz and Francesca (who is 11) were in great anticipation of their gifts! So... I said okay -- thinking I'll have to remember to come in later and put the lasagne in the oven. Well, of course, you KNOW I forgot to do that! So we finished opening gifts finally at 7:00! And we were all starving! And I walked into the kitchen and there sat the lasagne! OY! I put it in the oven immediately but we decided to go ahead and cook the steaks and eat! BUT... I still had to peel and cook the mashed potatoes! And Irma needed to make the guacamole! (Yea.... this was a much different Christmas!) Irma's guacamole is to DIE for! Sooooo, by the time we got the potatoes peeled and on the stove, and the guacamole made, and Dennis cooked the steaks, the lasagne was done and we didn't eat Christmas dinner until 8:30!!! ROFL!
Some of the funny/disasterous moments?
Luz "accidentally" spilled the beans about Hector's bike while they were still at their house! It was sO sad... She didn't know. She had been told we keep it a secret UNTIL Christmas! She understood that! So when her daddy asked "what did Mommy get me?" ... she thought it was okay to tell! It WAS Christmas! Soooooo Hector was not surprised by the BIG surprise! LOL!
But as soon as Amanda heard the word BIKE she SCREAMED Luz Estrella!!! And Luz burst into tears! And then of course, Amanda felt sooooooo bad! She said that was the loudest she has EVER yelled! Ohhhhhhh I felt so sorry for both of them! It's sO disappointing when you've had a secret and KEPT it and it's all so close to working out -- and then ... it's gone. And Amanda hadn't TOLD her up until 2 days before! She figured 2 days -- she would be able to keep the secret for 2 days! And Luz had been begging and begging to know! Of course she wanted to know! So finally Amanda told her and she PROMISED to keep the secret! She PROMISED she wouldn't tell... UNTIL Christmas! Soooooo sad!
When I bought the steaks for our dinner I could not get 10 of the same kind of steaks. So I got 6 filet mignon and 4 New York Strips. I figured those who wanted a little steak and a little lasagne would choose the filet mignons and people who wanted a LOT of steak (my boys) would choose the New York strips! And I KNEW they didn't know the difference between a filet mignon and chuck roast! So I was sure they would go for big! I had my heart SET on one of those filet mignons! So, being the hostess, and having to fix Mom's plate for her -- and Mom & Luz were sharing a steak -- I was busy and everyone was getting their stuff... and I go to get MY steak and their is ONLY a New York strip left... and Irma had opted no steak and just lasagne... so there should have been TWO steaks left! That meant SOMEbody took TWO filet mignons! So I looked... everyone at the table had only one steak... MATHEW was eating in the family room - he wanted to watch the football game and I said he could. I went out there. I said "Boy! Did you take two steaks?" ... he looked up and said... "they were SMALL!" ROFLMBO!!! I said "BOY! They were filet mignon!" But I knew he didn't know! He said "There was ONE big one or two little ones... I took the two little ones -- I figured I'd save that BIG one for somebody else!" LOL! God tells us ... "do not WORRY about what you will eat"... I think he might have wanted me to GET that lesson! But BOY I wanted one of those filets!
Did you have any funny/disasterous moments at your Christmas celebration?








16 comment(s):
ROFLMAO!!!! Are you sure you didn't have a camera rolling during all off this for American's Funniest Home Video. This is just a riot. Too bad Amanda didn't tell Luz it was a secret that only Santa Claus new LOL. I think that's just too funny and by the time you ate...gosh...I'm amazed you all didn't shrivel up and blow away. See I would do the same with the stakes. Maybe next year put a toothpick in them with a label of what kind they are ROFLMAO!!! And mark me stupid but why oh why did you wait so long to peel potatoes. My darlin' you need a cook at family gatherings so you can be the hostess of the mostest and not have to worry about eating the next day ROFLMAO!! I dare anyone to top this tale myself. What I'm sorta shocked at is that there is nothing there about Mom other than you made her plate. I so wanted to her her words of wisdom. I look so forward to them, but more importantly YOUR reaction...ROFLMAO
By
Anonymous, at
12/27/2009 8:49 PM
I think you should get yourself some filet mignon and eat it all!!
Luz is soooooooooooooo beautiful and her Christmas outfit is wonderful
By
Dianne, at
12/27/2009 9:08 PM
Oh I love it all!!! What a different Christmas day! I don't think we had anything quite as funny (Mathew and your fillet! - his heart WAS totally in the right place!), or sad (Luz spilling da beans). Just the usual stuff at Casa de Carlisle.
Christmas Eve we had friends over, tamales, beans and Spanish rice to eat, and lots of laughter. Christmas morning - kids actually let us sleep until 7:10am! No waiting on gifts here either. Ronin was out in the cul-de-sac in his jammers, with no shoes, no jacket (it was 40!) riding his new RipStik. Then we let them eat sweets all day... let them eat chips for dinner, while we had ordered in Bill Miller's BBQ Turkey dinner (SO GOOD!). :) In between it all, there was lots of play, lots of mess and lots of laziness! It was great! :)
By
Unknown, at
12/27/2009 9:39 PM
I loved hearing about this! Luz looks so beautiful. I felt bad for both her and Amanda, too, over the spilled beans. And that's so funny about Matthew and the steaks. I hope you get your very own filet mignon some time soon!
I don't remember anything funny or disastrous. We almost didn't have pies. I had bought a pecan one, but Mittu burned her pumpkin pie and didn't bring it, and I almost burned the apple one. I had set the timer and gone upstairs to wrap presents, then forgot how much time had gone by: Jim heard the timer go off but was involved in something and it just didn't click -- normally he would call up to me to ask if something needed to be taken out. By the time I came down, the outer crust and the very top were a little too brown, but overall it was ok.
By
Barbara H., at
12/27/2009 10:21 PM
Grown up people shouldn't put little people in the position of accidentally telling something the adult wanted kept secret. My mother did that to me and I've never forgotten it.
Our Christmas was pretty calm and tame after Christmas Eve when we had to stay home. The kids had left a little earlier than we did to go to our son's house. They called and told us it would be wise to stay home. They were seeing a good number of BAD wrecks and others on the side of the road. We chose saftey over fun and food with them. We had plenty here the next day when everyone was finally able to get here in the afternoon.
I'm still going to get those pictures up, but I'm still tired. It is supposed to start snowing again tomorrow night. I'm so glad that global warming thing worked out ok, because it has been cold as everything here.
By
Amber Star, at
12/27/2009 11:00 PM
The big tale for me is Christmas Eve, but I'm saving that to blog about! The kids get to open one present on Christmas Eve before bed and from the pictures I can see the clock... it was after midnight. Yikes! Santa (me) went to bed and told her spouse to wake her when she started snoring. I was up playing Santa from 2:30 - 3:30am, fell asleep at 4am... and then my husband was all cheerful and "MERRY CHRISTMAS!!" at 8am. I groaned and pulled a pillow over my head after begging for an aspirin (My dh thinks it was the wine I had the night before, but I say it was the lack of sleep & stress). The oldest teen and I each saw the light of day around 10am. Since our families are on the other side of the country, we didn't have any more craziness, but dinner wasn't served until around 7:30pm.
By
Anonymous, at
12/28/2009 1:28 AM
That was a funny Christmas indeed, lol !
We had a completely different one too, because for the first time in my whole life and in Dario's as well we didn't open the gifts at Christmas Eve, because Marieken's mother's partner could only come on Christmas day ! After a "brunch"
we started to unpack the gifts and that lasted 2 1/2 h, as the dutch family had a nice way for the gift's distribution. One started,looked at the name, gave it, we all waited until he/she saws what was in it and thanked the one who gave it and then it was his turn ! Poor Ric as he got a lot of little gifts, had to get up very often.
Dario fortunately had prepared everthing, the turkey was in the oven for 3 h and we had our Christmas meal at 8.30 pm !
By
Ingrid, at
12/28/2009 2:04 AM
We had fresh ahi (tuna) for dinner. Fresh as in caught that morning. I went to the store on Christmas Day because the butcher refused to sell it to me the day before. He said, "If it is Christmas dinner, you need the very best." He was right.
We had no Christmas disasters or mishaps. Just a nice, quiet, peaceful day.
By
quilly, at
12/28/2009 4:23 AM
Kids logic and adult logic is not the same thing, I still think Luz did well. Next time you see her, will you give her a hug from me?
Cooking, entertaining guests and opening presents are a complicated combination. Forgetting SOMEthing is almost inevitable.
All in all, I can tell you had a wonderful time!
By
Jientje, at
12/28/2009 12:47 PM
Great story! You will be telling these stories for YEARS!!!! In fact, Luz will probably say...."PLEASE, don't tell that AGAIN!"
Sounds like you all had a great time.
By
Jane, at
12/28/2009 1:20 PM
Those little disasters make Christmas - now you all can have stories to tell at Christmastime! Remember when Luz spilled the beans, and when Matthew ate your fillet mignon, those will be the stories that will be passed down! Family bonding ... don't you love it?
By
Jerralea, at
12/28/2009 2:59 PM
It would take a very long time to tell of our dramas but we had fun anyways..lol
By
PJ, at
12/28/2009 3:59 PM
Funny? No. Disastrous? Yes. Looks like my vision loss is permanent, and so I must resolve myself to that.
By
Maribeth, at
12/28/2009 4:10 PM
The marvel of your Christmas like the marvel of ours was family.The whole family together makes it worth while.
By
Dr.John, at
12/28/2009 7:08 PM
Oh Melli, the cook always gets the last pickings, doesn't she? Me too! If I were you, I'd go out someday this week to a nice restaurant and treat myself to a filet mignon! ROFL! All in all it sounds like a wonderful family Christmas together.
By
Susan at Stony River, at
12/29/2009 2:30 PM
Thats the way it went at our Christmas also. I am going to blog about it, but I was waiting for something that others ate but at this time I can't remember so it wasn't that important I guess. Too tired.
Luz's dress is very pretty.
By
bettygram, at
12/30/2009 1:12 AM
Post a comment
<< Home