Busy, FUN Weekend!
I wasn't around too much this weekend! I'm sorry. Well... no... I'm really not. :) Saturday I went to exchange Luz's size 6 Easter dress for a size 5, and then Krysti, Mom & I went out for a perfectly horrible lunch at Green Turtle... I ordered steamed shrimp - which were okay. But I also ordered a side salad that came with MOLDY croutons AND the dressing already ON it instead of on the side. I only ate about 2 bites of it. Mom's meal didn't come how we ordered it, and the service was just NOT up to par! That's okay though... my tips reflect my satisfaction. Then Krysti had been DREEEEEEEAMING about a trip to Maggie Moos - so we went there to get ice cream. I was OVERLY good because I hadn't known we were going and didn't look up calorie counts before we got there! But they have a low fat vanilla that is not bad. The scoops are HUGE so I only ate half -- Mom finished it! (after she finished hers...) She looooooves her ice cream! Turned out, I easily could have eaten it all. But that's okay!Saturday night Krys and I went down to Amanda's to play games with she and Mathew. We were going to play Apples To Apples - which I had given them for Christmas - I have heard such WONDERFUL things about that game!!! But we found it to be very boring! I don't know... I think other people must be makin' up there own rules or something... we just didn't think it was all that! So we played Like Minds instead -- and THAT game is hysterical! Oh my goodness! I have not laughed so hard in I don't KNOW how long! One of Amanda's answers actually made me spew my drink! FOR REAL! I was trying NOT to - but I had just taken a BIG sip, and then I laughed sO hard that I could NOT keep it in! It went everywhere.... ROFL! I LOVE to laugh THAT hard!
Sunday, of course, was church! Always good! Pastor preached on The Prodigal God! Oh yea... You have NEVER heard this story the way PASTOR told it this time!!! LOL! He WARNED us - with a gleam in his eye - that we had NEVER heard the story like this before! What he did was, took the definitions of prodigal - lavish, extravagant, luxuriant... and instead of applying them in the "negative" to the "son" and his squandering his inheritance, he applied them "positively" to The Father - and his LOVE! Pastor made The Father the central character of the story - rather than the son. It was VERRRRRRY good!
After church, Krysti and I went to one of the local private schools to see a musical that my friend Susan had directed, and which featured her son. (they attend my church and Susan is our music director) It was called WORKING, and had a cast of about 25 - it's a very small school, so we were GREATLY surprised by how much talent she was able to draw in those kids! There isn't a "story line" to it - basically each kid portrayed a different kind of worker - Iron Worker, Waitress, Business man, Fireman, Secretary, Office Manager, Telephone Operators! You name it! It was a wide variety. Each one explained about what their job was and what they liked - and disliked about it. And each one had a different song to go along with it. It really was very entertaining! There were a few songs that involved the whole cast and it was just cute!
Then Dennis had asked for a chicken and rice dish for dinner that I have made ever since he's known me -- and is VERY fattening! I asked him if he would go along with a modified version this time so that I could try to make it a bit more acceptable for ME! He agreed and I cut the recipe down to almost NO fat! And it tasted almost exactly the same! I was SO pleased! It was amazing! HE loved it - and I loved it! And it didn't ruin my diet a bit!
It was just a GREAT weekend! I hope yours was too!







9 comment(s):
Hi Melli, it's good to know that you had a great weekend. Hopefully the upcoming week gets even better :)
By
RA, at
3/15/2010 7:00 AM
I think the best times I've had with Apples to Apples is when you have people who really think differently. Like, I have played with my daughter, cousin, friend, husband and sister. Various ages, backgrounds and ideas.
I had a bad diet weekend.
By
Maribeth, at
3/15/2010 7:45 AM
I always miss you when you're not around, partly just because you're you, and partly because you leave some of the most thoughtful comments. But I do understand priorities. :-)
I'm glad you had a great weekend. I'm sorry you didn't care for Apples to Apples, We always have the most fun when someone doesn't have a card that "fits" exactly and then campaigns for it, trying to stretch the meaning to make it fit. I have not heard of Like Minds -- will have to look that one up.
I would have sent the salad with moldy croutons back without trying a bite! I do usually tell the management or ask the cashier to do so if something like that is wrong: I don't usually take dissatisfaction out of the tip unless the server herself/himself is not up to par in some way.
I didn't know that was what "prodigal" meant, but it surely does fit the Father better!
How do Sundays work with your MIL? Does she come with you or does the rest of the family watch her to give you some time off?
I would be interested to get the chicken and rice recipe -- I LOVE chicken and rice in various combinations.
By
Barbara H., at
3/15/2010 11:05 AM
Sounds like a great weekend and I'm glad the chicken and rice dish was delish without fat :) And I'm proud of you with the ice cream. Sounds like a great weekend :)
By
Anonymous, at
3/15/2010 11:41 AM
At our retreat this weekend, the pastor's wife mentioned the Prodigal God and described himin those same terms. Since she wasn'tat your church listening toyour Pastor Sunday morning before speaking to us, I am thinking t5hey must have read or listened to the same resource for their inspiration!
By
quilly, at
3/15/2010 1:26 PM
Sounds like a wonderful weekend!
By
Jientje, at
3/15/2010 5:29 PM
MELLI!! My friend's son Daniel was the Retiree in Working that you saw -- at Calverton??
WAS HE GOOD?! LOL Oh I wish I could have seen it too.
And eeewwww, moldy croutons?? Unbelievable. Good for you for tipping as you do -- and I hope Luz's dress is wonderful!
By
Susan at Stony River, at
3/15/2010 6:15 PM
Will you post the new slimmed down version of your chicken and rice dish?
Book Review - Moving In
By
Nessa, at
3/16/2010 12:38 PM
You should never ask a man if he agrees to a changement of a plate he was used to for ages. Just do it and you will see he will tell you "Darling, this time it tastes much better" and you can smile ! Listen to the experience of an old grandma !
By
Ingrid, at
3/17/2010 4:12 AM
Post a comment
<< Home