.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday's Fave Five

Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts Friday Fave Five in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Thank you Susanne for hosting this inspirational sharing game!


1. Last night was our last class for Session One of First Place 4 Health. We have two weeks off and will start the next session on April 8th. You guys are going to think I'm crazy but I was just a teeeeeny bit disappointed. I had set a goal for myself to lose 25 pounds during this session and when I stepped on the scale last night I was down 24.4 pounds. I KNOW! I KNOW! It's great! It IS! I'm happy. But there was just that... little ... awwwww... just over a half pound to go! But it's okay! That .6 pound will be gone before the next session starts anyway!

2. For our last session we had a "feast" and a celebration. Each of us brought in something really yummy and low fat/cal that we like to make. I took crab quiche. And I've discovered that if I just fail to put a pie crust in the pan, the inside cooks really nicely and saves THAT many more calories! (which in this case, the crust has more calories than the filling ANYway!) And everybody LOVED it! So yes... I'll share.... I usually make 2 pies for my family -- so if you only need one, cut it in half!

1 lb. crab meat
6 large eggs
1 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup chopped onion
8 oz. shredded cheese
2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together, pour into unbaked pie shell (or not)
and bake for 15 minutes at 350. Reduce heat to 325 and continue
baking for an additional 30-45 minutes. (smaller pies will be fuller)

The calorie count for the filling is only 107 calories per slice - 8 slices per pie. Frozen pie shells are 130/140 per same size serving. Sooooooo... WHO needs CRUST??? Notice, I do not use ANY milk or mayonnaise in my quiche! Sometimes I make spinach and mushroom quiche, or I used to make broccoli/bacon for Dennis. I haven't made that one for quite awhile. But I make all of them the same way. I've never had a complaint!

I got some really yummy recipes from some of the other gals too!

3. A couple of weeks ago, our DCE asked me if I would be willing to teach an adult Sunday school class starting in May. I've never taught a class before, and I have to tell ya, I am VERY nervous about it. But I prayed about it, and asked God to tell me if it's His desire that I do this. I felt yesterday that he gave me a thumbs up on that, and so I agreed before I had a chance to change my mind! But it's a video series, and of course, has a leader's guide to go along with it... so I think I'll be okay. I can't tell you how FAR out of my comfort zone this is putting me though! I know! I KNOW! I've taught kids of all ages and many subjects... but I've never taught adults. And I've never taught SUNDAY SCHOOL! Pray for me! Pray for the class!

4. I took Luz's Easter dress and one of her hats from a prior year up to one of our local flower shops, and they did a beautiful job of matching flowers to put on the hat to the dress! I just can not WAIT to see her all dressed up on Easter Sunday! And I get to take her to church with me! Have I mentioned that? (a time or ten maybe?)

5. I know this is getting old, but SPRING has just got me tickled pink! I went out the other day and bought all kinds of seeds, and starter thing that holds 72 little seed pots! I came home and planted those seeds, and then Dennis came home and put up a grow light under one of the kitchen cabinets for me, and I'm SO excited because my trash can garden is under way for this year! And two of the pots have already sprouted! I planted some cantaloupe, green beans, spinach, lettuce, red cabbage, green zucchini squash, and yellow straight neck squash, and multi-colored peppers, oh and brussel sprouts! And radishes! LOL! By the time I get all my trash cans and buckets filled with plants there isn't going to be room on our deck for ME!!! But I had such FUN with it last year, that I'm excited to do it again!

So. What's up in YOUR world this week?

Labels:

21 comment(s):

I imagine Luz Easter Sunday-dressed and I see a beautiful doll :) Crab quiche - ah, yum! And all the best on teaching Sunday school class. Spring sounds such a lively season with all the new sprouts, so full of life!

By Anonymous Hazel, at 3/26/2010 4:34 AM  

Congratulations on your terrific weight loss!

I'm going to try your quiche.

You will be a great teacher. The class will love you.

I can't wait to see pictures of Luz in her Easter clothes. She will be beautiful.

By Blogger Nessa, at 3/26/2010 6:09 AM  

I bought a hanging tomato plant and a hanging strawberry plant. I'm not much of a gardener but I can pretend.

By Blogger Nessa, at 3/26/2010 6:10 AM  

You know, when I was on my big losing streak I wanted to lose 50 pounds by my 50th birthday. I worked and worked and worked, and got to the day .5 ounces away from my goal!
I wasn't happy, but then I realized that the Lord was laughing at me. You see the real goal was better health and being in control of my eating. The last .5 came three weeks later.
Right on God's time!

By Blogger Maribeth, at 3/26/2010 7:02 AM  

Can't wait to see pictures of Luz all dressed up for Easter!
There is not going to be much space left on your patio once all this will start to grow!
Oh and congratulations on the weight loss!
Have a great week Melli!

By Blogger Jientje, at 3/26/2010 8:54 AM  

Congratulations on more weight loss!

That's a great idea about bringing low-cal foods to share.

I'd love to have the broccoli/bacon quiche recipe!

It's funny, I'm just the opposite -- I'd rather teach adult ladies than children. Though I do enjoy teaching when I do it, it does make me nervous and it's not something I'd want to do all the time. Although, even as I am saying that, I am remembering teaching a ladies' class when we were in GA and missing it. A video class would be about the easiest, I think, because it does most of the talking, and the leader's guide helps with questions to discuss or points to bring out. I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you! I'm sure it will be fine!

That is great about the matching flowers! I hope we'll see a picture of Luz in her Easter finery!

Did you ever show a photo of your trash can planters last year? I don't remember. That's a good idea -- I can't get on my knees for very long -- I get a hit-your-funny-bone sensation when I do -- so I haven't planted anything in ages.

By Anonymous Barbara H., at 3/26/2010 9:01 AM  

When I look at our teacher of my painting group, I wonder if sometimes she wouldn't prefer to give classes to kids, lol ! Don't worry, be happy !
A weight loss continues, that's wonderful ! You will see if you continue that way you reach your goal pretty soon and Dennis will have a new wife !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 3/26/2010 10:38 AM  

and more room in the bed !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 3/26/2010 10:39 AM  

It does sound as if you are enjoying spring. =D I hope that your garden springs forth abundantly and beautifully! =D How fun!

Have a great weekend!

By Blogger Carrie, at 3/26/2010 11:37 AM  

Congrats on your weight loss, Melli!!!!
Can't wait to see Luz' Easter look!!

Your quiche sounds great, Melli. I will try it, only I will have to leave out the egg substitute, don't have that around here :)

By Blogger MaR, at 3/26/2010 11:40 AM  

That's my total weight loss goal (not that I'm really trying right now) and you did it in one session! You rock, girl!

I got the Bananagrams games (gifts for people) at Tar-Shay. $15.

Let the growing season begin!

By Blogger Willow, at 3/26/2010 12:09 PM  

Oh girl! Good for you losing all that weight but I do understand the little bit of disappointment on those darn digital scales!! I enjoy your delight in Spring. It's such a wonderful season for sure. Happy weekend to you...

By Anonymous ellen b, at 3/26/2010 2:15 PM  

Almost 25 pounds is so incredible! Congrats! I’m sure you’ll do great teaching a class. Keep praying. I’m still tickled pink about spring being here, too. Can’t wait for even warmer temps. Such a great time of year.

By Blogger Lisa notes..., at 3/26/2010 6:26 PM  

Melli -- you don't really have to "teach", just facilitate! That is something I know you are good at.

And you've certainly wowed me with your weight loss! I wish you were closer. I could use some of your determination & enthusiasm.

Can't wait to see that snap I know you are going to take of Luz in her Easter finery!

By Anonymous quilly, at 3/26/2010 8:12 PM  

Your garden sounds like so much fun! Delightful!

I'm amazed at 24 lbs. -- what are you talking about? That is GREAT.

We want to see a picture of the Easter bonnet and dress...

Happy weekend.

By Blogger Laura@OutnumberedMom, at 3/26/2010 9:29 PM  

Melli, you make me smile.

Congrats on getting so very close to your goal. Your discipline is paying off. And thank you for that recipe. I've often wanted to make quiche, but I'm fairly bad at pie crusts and here you've got a perfectly yummy sounding recipe that's crustless!

Your prayer request at the end of #3 had me smiling. Wish I could reach over and give you a hug. God is in it. May He fill you and use you to get His message across.

By Anonymous nikkipolani, at 3/27/2010 12:51 AM  

congrats on the weight loss
I know how difficult it is to lose so Brava!!
standing ovation from me

looking forward to seeing pics of Luz in her Easter dress

By Blogger Dianne, at 3/27/2010 8:28 AM  

Hi Melli my darling,

What a lovely post :-) I can't wait to see the photos of Luz in her Easter outfit!

Five things......um
Like you - new teaching opportunities
new tasks at work (like I'm not busy enough)
er.........
that's about it - the rest is not happy-happy..

Well done on the weight loss, my dear! Keep it up!

cq

By Blogger craziequeen, at 3/27/2010 1:05 PM  

I'm so glad to know that when I get back from Spring break (NYC, here we come!) there will be pictures of Luz dressed up for Easter Sunday worship! Hooray!!

I think I might make that crustless quiche for Easter Sunday. It looks really, really delicious! Thanks, Melli!

If you find a way to bottle your determination and enthusiasm for weight loss, I will buy it. I need to figure out where my priorities went to... they are hiding (probably squished under the scale). I'm so proud of you and thrilled that you share your success with us!
I know that same determination, enthusiasm, and the fact that you are putting God in First Place in your heart will make you an excellent leader in the adult class. {{{HUGS}}}

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2010 1:25 PM  

Yipee for you on the weight loss!!! And recipes like that crab quiche sound so good!!!! What a simple little trick, just take the crust out!

I think you will do GREAT teaching a class. I will pray for you. It is different teaching adults since they are your peers. But with your fun personality, and heart for God, I certain God will use your greatly.

By Anonymous Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate, at 3/28/2010 8:02 AM  

Applauding you for your weight loss! That is awesome, Melli! You are inspiring me to get with it in my own life in that area.

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. God can do great things through a willing heart who knows darn well they can't do it without Him. I'm excited to hear the reports from this class.

By Blogger Susanne, at 3/28/2010 11:28 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home