.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Solitude

I know you are all wondering what in the world is up with Melli? I'm wondering the same thing! I even asked God what's up with me last night! One of two things is happening. 1.) Either He is fixing to set me on a new course... which may be a few months off or right around the corner... but I have noticed that when He needs me to change for a reason, that change takes place BEFORE the reason is revealed! OR... 2.) this could just be the season and the effect that Lent and Holy Week have on me. It's possible that after Easter I'll be right back to myself. I don't know. But today in our 2010 Lenten Devotions, this spoke a great deal of where I'm at... so I thought I'd share it. (in it's entirety)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark 6:31
Solitude

Jesus said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

Solitude is a commodity in short supply. We live in a world of instant communication with tweeting, instant messaging, and mobile computing, along with cell phones, wi-fi, and the world-wide web. You can well imagine our culture shock when we went to the top of the world for a sabbatical. When we arrived in Fort Yukon, Alaska, for a four-week stay, we discovered that we had no internet, no television, no radio, not even a telephone. We felt like we had been cut off from the rest of the world. To be sure, within a few days we did get active phone service, but it was still remarkably quiet for bulk of the time. The silence was deafening.

Despite the culture shock, the solitude was good for us. We were able to do reading that we rarely found time for in our daily routine. We talked much more than we usually do and were able to come to some new resolves about our time and our future that usually eluded us for lack of serious reflection. We even got quite a bit more rest without the temptation to stay up for the late news and even later late-night comedy. Solitude was Jesus prescription for His weary disciples and it is His prescription for us when we find the work is relentless and the battery is dead.

Surprisingly, we found it hard to deal with solitude. We were so used to busy-ness and activity that the opposite was uncomfortable. Once we were rested we were eager to quickly return to all the commotion of our lives. Yet, it took an extended period of time apart from such commotion to renew in us a larger perspective on our lives and a greater appreciation for our blessings. We resolved to slow down our lives upon re-entry and "smell the roses" along the way. These were good resolves.

It is very easy to lose perpective in the press of our hectic lives. It is healthy to step out occasionally and take inventory. Am I honoring God with my life? Am I using my God-given abilities? Am I making a difference in the lives of others? Is the world a better place because I am here? These are questions that require some reflection. Solitude provides the setting for such reflection. "Come with me to a quiet place," Jesus says, "and get some rest."

Lord Jesus, teach us the grace of solitude. Renew in us our ability to hear you speaking in the still small voice. Restore perspective in our lives that we may see our lives within your larger will and way in this world. Amen.

Rev. William Simmons, Volunteer
Christ Memorial Lutheran Church
St. Louis, Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am finding as much solitude as I can get the past few weeks - and that is keeping me away from blogging - both posting and commenting as much as I normally do. I wish I could GO to the top of the world for a sabbatical! But since I can't, I'm eeking out what I can get, right here where I'm planted. And it's good.

I do want to share with you that I am being SO blessed with Luz this week! It has come about that NOW I not only get to take her to Easter service with me on Sunday - but I also get to take her to the Tenebrae service Friday night! She will be coming here after school on Friday to spend the night, and I will take advantage of that time after school, to teach her a bit about what she is going to hear and see Friday night. I want her to know that it is a sad and somber time - but I don't want her to be scared by it! And I want her to knOW the reason we are in such CELEBRATION on Sunday morning! (and that it has nothing to do with the Easter Bunny!)

12 comment(s):

Great subject, Melli. I do think solitude is very important. Most of us are afraid to have time to think and really examine our lives!

It's really difficult in our culture to set aside time to just "be." How can God speak to us if we are never quiet enough to hear?

By Blogger Jerralea, at 3/30/2010 11:10 AM  

our minds are very noise polluted and we wonder why children have ADD.
Used to be children always had down time and peace as opposed to today when they are running and parents are running.
Peace and solitude are very important as is play time.
We need a lot more of these things.
Happy Easter !!:)

By Blogger A Lady's Life, at 3/30/2010 11:55 AM  

I so enjoy my quiet time. It gives me time to think without interuption and to follow a thought through to whatever completion it needs to go. When I'm in to loud a place for too long I have to leave to get myself back together and calm.

By Blogger Amber Star, at 3/30/2010 12:04 PM  

A little solitude from time to time is a much-needed commodity.

I'm so glad Luz is able to go with you to services and you're having a chance to teach her what it is all about. We had a missionary Sun. night who said he became a Christian through his grandmother's influence. Mine had a major impact on me as well.

By Anonymous Barbara H., at 3/30/2010 1:28 PM  

I require large quantities of solitude or I turn into a grumbly bear. I haven't watched TV in months and I rarely turn on the radio. Silence heals my soul and gives me time to think and grow and pray.

Whatever God is calling you to do, Melli, you are on the right track. Obedience is always best. Rest and prepare your soul for whatever comes next.

God is good.

By Anonymous quilly, at 3/30/2010 1:34 PM  

Well my darlin' whatever it is I'm sure you will forge through it in your own time and however and whoever makes the plan to help you do it. :) BTW Congrats on that scale still moving to the right :) WOOT!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/30/2010 2:09 PM  

Please Lord, send some solitude this way.

By Blogger Maribeth, at 3/30/2010 2:20 PM  

I think solitude is a magnificent gift. i would love more. It is nice not to touch a computer for a couple days a t a time. Freeing. Relaxing.

lucky you to have Luz for so long. Enjoy your time together.

By Blogger Nessa, at 3/30/2010 4:35 PM  

Loved the opening sentence:"Solitude is a commodity in short supply".
I appreciate it very much, I need my quiet times and I am lucky enough I have the options.

Hugs.
And a cup of coffe is being handed out to you!

By Blogger MaR, at 3/31/2010 2:33 AM  

Ahh, solitude. Some days I just long for it.

In our culture, we so easily forget that more -- information, communication, etc. -- is not always better.

Excuse me while I slip away on my own for a moment. Thanks for the reminder of the blessing of solitude.

By Blogger Laura@OutnumberedMom, at 4/01/2010 10:45 AM  

My opinion of solitude is it's a good thing. :) You must take some for yourself now and again. It's so important! As a fellow Mama, I know it's hard to grab it!

(PS - you said "fixing" ... did you move to Texas when I wasn't looking?! tee hee!!)

By Blogger Unknown, at 4/02/2010 10:57 AM  

This is a beautiful devotion -- thank you for sharing!
A friend of mine has named her 5-acre spread "Solitude Farm" with that very meaning of solitude.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/05/2010 8:29 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home