Butterflies Are FREEEEEEEEE...
My deck garden pretty much DIED while I was taking care of Mom at the hospital... but that will be another post. Today I was out trying to get the abundance of "cobs" off the front porch... and kill a wasp nest or two that had popped up... and in an effort to GREEN the intense BROWN that is growing all around us - because while our AREA has had some pretty good rainfall in the past few weeks, our NEIGHBORHOOD hasn't managed to get a drop! I keep saying we live under a bubble and I really think we do! I'm fairly convinced this is God's way of making sure I spend SOME time outdoors every day! Today's time has been spent moving the new oscillating sprinkler from one spot to another -- about every 60 minutes or so! YES, I give it that long... it's DRY out there Baby! Just ask the butterlies! Apparently I am the ONLY one watering in the neighborhood today and the butterflies KNOW it! I have had GREAT fun watching them play today! AND trying to capture them with my camera! HA! While they DO fly them little selves through the sprinkler from time to time, their greatest pleasure seems to be perhaps absorbing moisture through their little feet in the parts that were watered an hour or so ago! I guess this might be why we don't have "butterfly baths" ... only bird baths! But the birds are enjoying the sprinkler today too! And the wasps are enjoying the dripping leaves... at least the wasps that are still living! They are NOT however enjoying the fact that their nests have been put off limits to them!
I would have sworn there were only TWObutterflies here...
(do you see more than two? I don't!)
But when I stepped a tad closer and scared them...
THREE flew away!(do you see 3??? I do!)
There are some really gorgeous blue ones out there too... but they move entirely too fast for me to get a focus on them! And there are a bunch of orange ones too... but they didn't attract my attention as much - they are our state butterfly and are always here. I haven't seen many of these BIG yellow ones in recent years. We really have a LOT of butterflies this year! Cool!







6 comment(s):
I never thought about butterflies being attracted by the water, but I can see how they would when it is dry. We've been without rain for ages except for an occasional sprinkle.
By
Anonymous, at
7/22/2010 1:56 PM
I'm sorry you haven't gotten any of that rain. We had a DUMPING a few days ago, but everything has dried out again. However, we don't have that many butterflies. Terrific shot!
By
Anonymous, at
7/22/2010 2:26 PM
I love butterflies as well and you are so right....those little guys are very quick. Love you post!
By
Rhonda, at
7/22/2010 2:39 PM
Hoping you get some rain soon Melli, Oh to be Free like the Butterfly.
By
Anonymous, at
7/22/2010 7:44 PM
If you biggie your pic you'll see the edge of the third butterfly. Honest.
My deck garden is dying because it is cold. Nothing is growing to be any size.
By
Charlene Amsden, at
7/22/2010 9:27 PM
Lovely butterflies!! we need some rain too...
By
MaR, at
7/23/2010 2:37 AM
Post a comment
<< Home