.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Monday, October 02, 2006

Lost... as in LOST


LOST KITTY! IF FOUND, please call...


We lost this precious boy today! It is just the saddest thing. Squash was a rescue kitty... Krysti and I rescued him from an ice storm when he was 4 or 5 months old. We tried to make him an indoor kitty, but he wanted NO PARTS of that! Eventually he won the battle and we let him out to explore. We've been his home for goin' on 3 years now. Last weekend he turned up in the yard with an injured paw. He wouldn't come in the house, and he for sure wouldn't let us catch him. Then he disappeared for about 3 days, and honestly I thought he had gone off to die. So when he showed back up we were THRILLED and began trying to lure him into the house again. Finally YESTERDAY morning he came in! He was in HORRIBLE shape -- his fur was matty and his paw was infected and oozing and he's skinny and just pitiful! But even MORE pitiful because all he wanted to do was "cuddle" with somebody! Squash NEVER wants to cuddle! He likes to be scratched, but won't let anyone hold him! Yesterday he let me hold him and brush him and inspect his paw and his ears and I could pretty much do anything I wanted! It was amazing! So, I called the emergency care (which is FAR away from our home) and asked them what I should do until I could get him to our vet today. They said to just try to clean it with warm water - but nothing else -- and no, don't wrap it up. So, we just kinda let it be, and this morning, after some food, some water, and plenty of rest in a warm home with lots of love, he was doing a LOT better! The swelling had gone down quite a bit (I guess from just being "off" it?) So I called the vet and they could see him at 11:15. Krysti stayed home to help me capture him and get him in the crate, and we were AMAZINGLY successful at this, and QUITE proud of ourselves! I had already warned the vet that Squash was NOT "up" on his shots -- because we can NEVER catch him and get him in that crate! So getting him IN was good -- and we had plenty of time to get to the vet on time! We got in the car and headed up the road. Our vet is about 15 miles from us, and honestly, Squash has only been there ONCE - when we got him neutered. But the minute I turned my car into their driveway, he KNEW where he was, and he started complaining LOUDLY! We got out of the car and Krysti was carrying the crate, by the handle, and all of a sudden Squash shot out of the crate like a bullet! We still don't know how he did it. SOMEhow he opened the gate ... and he was GONE. We never got him into the vet. I went in and told them what had happend, and then I went back out to try to help Krysti find him -- but we couldn't find him. And he was NOT making a sound! There's a big open field behind the house next door to the clinic, and I don't even know if maybe he had already disappeared across that field, or if he was still hiding in the bushes. We looked through all the bushes as best we could -- but I'm sure if he was in there, he had his eye on US - but we couldn't see him. It would be very easy for him to keep moving out of our sight as we inched along looking for him. We finally had to give up. The receptionist in the vets office said they would put out a safe trap with some food ... and they said that they HAVE caught runaways before. I sure hope they catch him ... or that somehow he finds his way back home. I've heard of cats going incredible distances to find their home... But I'm so worried about him.

I know a lot of people don't believe in praying for animals... but I always feel it can't hurt... God made them too ... so ... if you ARE of a mind, I'm sure that little guy could use a few extra "purrs" ... or prayers... as you see fit. We'd sure love to have him back home with us.

18 comment(s):

My prayers have been lifted to God, the creator of all things -- including cats -- so, like you, I believe he must care for them.

By Blogger Charlene Amsden, at 10/02/2006 9:01 PM  

Oh, noooooooooooo. I'll cover him in mine tonight!

By Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert, at 10/02/2006 11:09 PM  

I'm so sorry. I lost my kitty, Malia, once. She had never been outdoors before so I didn't know how she'd find her way back. But she did, 3 weeks later. Cats are very resiliant (sp?). I'll keep Squash in my prayers.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2006 3:39 AM  

Oh no! That's terrible! I hope he comes wandering back to the vet or something.

And I pray about my cat all the time, so I'll send "purrs" for Squash.

Melli, I don't kow if it's just me, but your posts keep falling to the bottom of the page, maybe being pushed down cuz the left-hand side is too wide? Just wanted to tell you.

By Blogger Carmen, at 10/03/2006 7:15 AM  

If God knows how many hairs are on our head He certainly cares about Squash. I'm glad you got lots of lovin on him before this escape attempt. Please know he is in our prayers. Hope you have good news soon.

By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 10/03/2006 7:40 AM  

I am praying your find your Squash. I know how important pets can be.

Oh and what Carmen has mentioned is happening to me too.

By Blogger Twisted Cinderella, at 10/03/2006 8:41 AM  

Please keep us posted, we are praying hard for your boy.

By Blogger PJ, at 10/03/2006 9:09 AM  

I'm so sorry about your kitty, Melli. I'll be thinking about him!

By Blogger Jules, at 10/03/2006 3:18 PM  

OH, no! that is the worst thing I know. Lost pets. Make me feel so worried, just like you!

I wish I could swing a magic stick and there he was on your porch!

Or maybe better: at the vet so they could take care of him first.

I hope things turn out for the best!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2006 3:51 PM  

Oh definitely....prayers for Squash!! Indeed.

Any news today when you got home?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2006 5:06 PM  

Oh, poor kitty! My prayers are with Squash and I hope he goes back home to you.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2006 6:43 PM  

Oh Melli, I feel so bad about Squash..! What a darling kitty he is in that picture. I will pray, really really hard...I dearly hope they somehow capture him over there at the vets...OR that he does indeed find his way home...I know, I've heard those story's too, and I believe cats are truly truy amazing creatures...
Dear Dear Squash....Be Well, and Come Home!

By Blogger OldLady Of The Hills, at 10/03/2006 8:17 PM  

Hope he comes home soon! I'll pray for him.

By Blogger Meira{FB}, at 10/03/2006 10:10 PM  

aw Mellie, me and the felines are purraying hard for your little man!

As my vet once told me, once a feral always a feral.....

Here's hoping Squash is safe.

cq

By Blogger craziequeen, at 10/04/2006 1:40 AM  

Oh, no, I am so sorry and do hope he finds his way home to you...

By Blogger MaR, at 10/04/2006 2:45 AM  

Oh! I do hope & pray that Squash comes home soo, Melli...this is so sad!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2006 6:58 AM  

My prayers are with Mr. Kitty and yours. -Margie

By Blogger Margaret, at 10/04/2006 2:04 PM  

Squash looks just like our Carma, Squash will be in my thoughts and purrs. Carma dissapeared for 2 weeks once just as we were about to move, and came waltzing back up the driveway one day before we left. It can happen, and I hope it happens for you!

By Blogger tiggerprr, at 10/06/2006 4:32 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home