.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday Photo Scavenger Hunt ... Wooden

Join the blogroll. Visit participants.

Sooooooo... this was NOT my first idea of what to show you for wooden this week. However, the timing was just oh so appropriate ... so I figured why not?

We had a bit of an ice storm last night, and so we just stayed home and did "home" stuff today. Laundry... vacuum... you know. Annnnnnd... I put a fire in the fireplace. Yes I did! A beautiful fire! See? A "wooden" fire, if you will....


But, apparently I tried to burn the house down! Because while I was upstairs shifting laundry around and putting some away.... that top log jumped OUT of the fireplace and landed on my carpet! See?


All I can say is this must be - and thankfully it IS - some heavy duty flame resistant carpet! I did NOT smell it burning! I only smelled laundry detergent and dryer sheets. Dennis, who was down tinkering in the garage, smelled it and "wondered" why it smelled so strong. He thought he'd just come up and "check" ... and when he walked into the living room there was a FLAMING log on the carpet!!! (yep - a wooden log!)

Where was Mom? In the next room watching game shows. She didn't notice anything either.
I'm thinking God was watching us. Thank you Lord!

Ohhhhhhhhhh.... so what WAS I planning to show you for wooden?

This!
A hand carved motorcycle that my hubby made!
Woodwork is ONE of his hobbies!

28 comment(s):

Thank goodness you are all ok. That is so frightening. The fire was beautiful but having a log jump out, oh my. I get shivers just thinking about it. I'm so glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

That's a cool wooden motorcycle.

I hope you have a good weekend.

By Blogger Carver, at 2/22/2008 11:38 PM  

I am so glad nothing suffered but the carpet! Are you going to get a nice new throw rug for in front of the fireplace, or put in a hearth?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2008 11:39 PM  

Carver - It scared us too! I will be more careful when leaving the room from now on! I'll shut the doors a bout half way or something!

Quilly - I'm shopping for a little throw rug tomorrow!

By Blogger Melli, at 2/22/2008 11:44 PM  

Oh so glad you are ok. That could have turned out terribly. Guess you get new carpets now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2008 12:25 AM  

Oh no, I'm glad the house didn't burn down! The motorcycle is AWESOME!!

By Blogger Jen, at 2/23/2008 12:39 AM  

Whoa!!!! You are one lucky family. Throw a hearth carpet over it and maybe that'll do for now!

By Blogger Leslie:, at 2/23/2008 12:56 AM  

Oh my you were lucky that Denis discovered the fire in time !
I didn't know that he is such an artist this motorcycle looks beautiful ! You should show a little more of his woodwork !!

By Blogger Ingrid, at 2/23/2008 3:00 AM  

OMG - you might want to consider a fire screen!! Great choices you have - I totally love the motorcycle!!!
Happy weekend
L

By Blogger LibertyBelle, at 2/23/2008 4:39 AM  

Oh, Melli, what an evening! I use a fire screen most of the time when I leave the room and I have a wooden fire... from now on I will do it every time!!

Your husband is very talented, love that wood work!! Happy PH and happy hunting :)

By Blogger MaR, at 2/23/2008 6:31 AM  

OMG!!!! I am so glad that is all that happend...gosh....and as for your hubbies hobby...how wonderful is that...he is very talented...and good man to have around...good eye for wood and crafts...and good nose for smell.....

By Blogger Smalltown RN, at 2/23/2008 7:02 AM  

When I first saw the picture it made me fireplace "sick" You know like in homesick for something. We used to heat our whole house with fireplaces and big wood burning stove. I love a real wood burning fireplace. I so miss them. Then i read about your log falling out..Oh boy was God watching over you guys!! That would have been just terrible!!
i see that Dennis is quite talented too just like you. your children will have a lot to pull from...have a blessed and safe day..Sandy

By Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at 2/23/2008 7:20 AM  

Hmmmmm, you didn't have the doors closed? Wow. How scary. Love the wooden 'puzzled' cycle!!!


Happy Hunting, I hope you'll find time to drop by and visit with me too today.

By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 2/23/2008 7:41 AM  

Glad no one was hurt!

great photos!

By Blogger photomommy, at 2/23/2008 8:39 AM  

Wow, Melli! I'm so glad God was watching out for you!!!

And that carved motorcycle is amazing!! Your hubby does great work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2008 8:46 AM  

We had a fire in the hearth last night too. Glad it worked out and you didn't burn the house down!
Love the wood carving. What a beauty!!!

By Blogger Maribeth, at 2/23/2008 9:09 AM  

Beautiful woodworked motorcycle. Very glad your guardian angels were working overtime. I think a screen sounds like a good idea!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2008 10:05 AM  

OMG!!!! We use our fireplace quite a bit, but it's in a blower so the chance of logs falling out is pretty slim. But we have a huge carpet remnant laid out for that very reason. I can't believe it didn't catch your house on fire!! Thank God Dennis came to investigate!!

That motorcycle is GORGEOUS! Seriously, I love the different shades of wood - he's very talented!

Write From Karen

By Blogger Write From Karen, at 2/23/2008 11:09 AM  

Oh, Melli...that coulda been VERY bad!! I'm SO grateful it was caught in time!! ((hugs)) I know that a fire is something you totally DON'T need right now!!! ((more hugs))

By Blogger Jennifer, at 2/23/2008 11:18 AM  

My God Melli! How our Lord was watching ovewr you and yours! Thank God youre ok, and you didnt burn the house down! Sending love and hugs

By Blogger PowersTwinB, at 2/23/2008 11:35 AM  

Hi Melli. I'm so glad nothing bad happened to you and your family. We don't have a fireplace and that incident opened my the eyes to possible danger that a fireplace can bring.

That's a beautiful motorcycle carving. Your husband is very creative and skilled.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, I think those are real logs used to support the wooden house (in my entry).

By Blogger Heart of Rachel, at 2/23/2008 12:16 PM  

OK.. all my bloggin friends live in snowy places... and I'm jealous.. yes.. that is a big fat SIN...

I have no snow... not even a flurry...

sad face... poor pitiful me..

and our fireplace.. well it's fake... it is remote control.. go figure

By Blogger Connie Barris, at 2/23/2008 2:16 PM  

wow... your husband has such skilled hands :)

By Blogger Mec, at 2/23/2008 3:21 PM  

thats a lovely wooden fire. Good thing theres nothing bad happen to u and ur family.

I love you hand made motorcycle...
Wooden Staircase
Wooden Doorway

By Blogger mjsterling, at 2/23/2008 3:47 PM  

geesh that is dangerous, love the motorbike craving. Your hubby is one talented man.wonderful entry for this week theme.Have a great weekend..;)

My so called life
Life's Impression

By Blogger **"Liza"**, at 2/23/2008 9:19 PM  

great pics - that harley... wow!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/24/2008 3:29 PM  

Love that wood carving by the husband.

By Blogger Unknown, at 2/24/2008 3:42 PM  

Beautiful fire! But not so beautiful that it tried to take over!!! So glad you were all OK.

I absolutely love that motorbike your clever husband made!

By Blogger Dragonstar, at 2/24/2008 5:03 PM  

Hi Melli, I am so happy that God was taking care of you all!! My goodness that could have been so bad!
I have a new post and I had a big mess on Thursday and Friday but not like yours! I put way to much in the garbage disposal and it backed up in the basement drains in Kelly's room and flooded the floor and made a mess!! I ended up calling the plumber and all is cleaned up and okay now!! He came on a Saturday and didn't charge extra for that!! I have been thinking about you and praying all is going good with taking care of Grandma.... love Carolyn

By Blogger Talk..to..Grams, at 2/25/2008 9:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home