.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Latino Festival!

On Sunday I attended early church service so that Amanda and Luz and I could leave right after Sunday School go up to DC to the Latino Festival. Amanda explained to Luz all the way up that this WHOLE festival was going to be about HER heritage. Luz was very excited! Sadly, I got verrrrrry few pictures of her excitement because I was so busy taking pictures of the exciting STUFF! (198 of them to be exact!)

The main thing was the parade ... and that is what drew me to want to go down to the festival to begin with! I saw some pictures from last year's festival and other than on tv I have never seen such a lively and BEAUTIFUL parade with sO many lavish costumes! Ohhhhhhh it was wOnderful! Just LOOK!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This free slideshow design made with Smilebox

Wasn't it GREAT??? When it was done, the crowd all headed down past where we had been standing - so WE decided to go the other way! Sometimes... that is the RIGHT decision! This time proved to be so, for US. Because we walked down to the very end where the bandstand was and listened to the band - just for a few minutes. I LOVE Latino music - but Amanda? Eh... not so much! But just around the corner we spotted where the KID CRAFTS were. We knew they were going to have some - but we had NO idea where to find them - so wandering that direction first was really the RIGHT decision.

First, Luz learned how to make the clay lonnnnnng and snakey.


And then she "coiled" it into first a base, and then built it
up into a cup. She also made a handle for it. And the really
AMAZING part is that it made it all the way home - safely!


Then she made a tissue paper kite -
seen here gluing down the edges.


And straigthening out the MANY tails~

Both crafts needed some drying time ... and THAT is
why I'm amazed they made it home. Because we then
went off to explore the rest of the festival.

Of course, you can not go to a festival and not DO festival food.

This SMELLED sO good... but it was not what
I wanted.

THIS on the other hand, looked greasy and oily and totally disgusting... but when I found out it was a fried plantain I had to TRY it! I'd never HAD one! You could squeeze the oil out of it... which normally disgusts me to NO end... but this baby was GOOD!!! It tasted like a tangy sweet potato! Mmmm! I don't know what all those other fried foods are here... but I'm sure they were GOOD!

Now, what is a festival without a little shopping? Mmm hmmm.... Luz found a ukelele that she really wanted! She and her musical instruments... there isn't one made she doesn't want! LOL...

It said guitar on the box... but it looks like a ukulele to us!
(WHAT is the difference?)

Our next stop was this stand with what I consider little
oriental hats! But the woman selling them was certainly
Hispanic! She was adorable and I loved her immediately!


Luz did not want her hat, but I could not be parted from mine! SOLD! Of course, I could not SEE myself in it... and on the way back to the metro station I passed a window and caught sight of myself... I CRACKED UP!!! Luz wanted to know what are you laughing at Nana? Amanda told her I had just seen myself in my silly hat!!! Ahhh... I love my life!

However... I am not the ONLY one who got a hat that day!

THIS one found it's way into our bag too!

Of course, I liked THIS one better...
but I already had MY hat!

With our shopping done, we decided to head home...

Luz & Amanda playing with new finger puppets while waiting
for the metro train....

What a DAY!
What a WEEKEND!
Good fun!

12 comment(s):

I am jalous, what a wonderful fiesta !! Must have been so much fun and then all these beautiful costumes ! and the weather !!! you are still in summer clothing, while I had to take my pullovers and socks and anoraks out ! I look like the personified winter already !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 9/28/2010 3:41 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

By Blogger tilden talks..., at 9/28/2010 6:36 PM  

your girls are beautiful! i can't wait for Ella to arrive, i'm sure she's beautiful too!

By Blogger tilden talks..., at 9/28/2010 6:37 PM  

What a great day. I really enjoyed it through you which is the only way I would see it as I hate crowds. :)

By Blogger Nessa, at 9/28/2010 8:42 PM  

What a great day it was for you! My niece is Korean and we always enjoy the Korean Fest!

By Blogger Maribeth, at 9/28/2010 9:10 PM  

Hey there Melli!! Long time no come by. We have just moved from sAvannah back to Normal Illinois so it has been quite the move. It not only was emotional but it was also tiring for me. I am so glad it is over with.
You girls had a fun time. That is great!! That food does not look good to me..sorry!!
Blessings, Sandy

By Blogger Ramblings of a middle-age goddess, at 9/28/2010 9:47 PM  

Those hats look Oriental to me, too. Sounds like a great day and a lot of fun! Glad you found the kid's crafts while wandering.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/28/2010 11:19 PM  

It looks like so much fun, Melli. Of course, you have a way to make any event a fun one!!

By Blogger MaR, at 9/29/2010 1:56 AM  

You always have the most fun. I want to come and play with you! I love the hats --all of them. Fried plantain isn't my favorite and I'd have passed it up easily (although not the first time -- or the second either! -- but I doubt I'll go for thirds).

A Ukelele is smaller than a guitar and it has 4 strings rather than 5. The shorter strings and smaller echo chamber make a much different sound than a guitar.

By Blogger Charlene Amsden, at 9/29/2010 2:21 AM  

You three look like you had a fun time. I have to agree, disgusting greasy and it got worse when you said you could squeeze the grease out.

I can see the picture taking and hat wearing going on, fun fun fun.

I think we are going down your way in October.

By Blogger Cindy, at 9/30/2010 6:47 AM  

How fun!!
xo
LBC

By Blogger Ladybug Crossing, at 9/30/2010 8:53 AM  

What fun! I think you look great in your hat, Melli -- perhaps it is your radiant smile that "makes" it?

A Ukulele has 4 strings and a very different sound than a guitar. It is said that George Harrison traveled with one and wrote "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" using his Ukulele.

A guitar has 6 strings and even when child-sized it has a larger body.

By Blogger Karen (formerly kcinnova), at 10/01/2010 3:04 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home