.

My mood is
My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Psalm 126:3

Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday's Fave Five

Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts Friday Fave Five in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Thank you Susanne for hosting this inspirational sharing game!

1. Walkin' Weather...
how great it is to get out on a beautiful crisp day and just go for a nice walk. These opportunities don't come my way too often... and if you've ever lived in the DC area, you know summer is NO time to try it... but now? Now is perfect. The air is clear and cool and just all around PLEASANT! My goal this season is to actually be out IN it at least twice a week!

2. Bean Soup...
I know - some of you GAG at the thought of it, but Dennis and I love it! I made a big ol' pot of homemade bean soup the other day ... and I am actually eating some for BREAKFAST even as I type! It is such a comfort food - and without a bit of FAT in it! I made this batch with one bag of "15 beans", and another bag of black-eyed peas... added some onions, carrots and celery and 2 cans of whole tomatoes... Yum Yum YUM!!!

3. Little Girl Giggles...
I have been surprising Luz with a Halloween card in her mailbox every other day or so this month. She has thanked me a few times when she sees me. They all involve a joke. She LOVES jokes! (what kid doesn't?) So yesterday, by chance, two arrived in one day. She called me last night to thank me for them. I said "so you're enjoying them, huh?" She said "YES! They're HYSTERICAL!" ... followed by that giggle! Oh, HOW I love that giggle!!! Wait til she get's the one that sings to her ... shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your BOOty, shake your BOOty! LOL!

4. Vinegar...
*evil grin*... I have a little custard cup of vinegar sitting on my kitchen counter. It is covered with clear plastic wrap with holes poked in the top. It is trapping fruit flies... by the dozens. Lord, forgive me that I am actually enjoying each day's discovery of the demise of the fruit fly! They are horrendous this year! (if you plan to try this, make sure you also clear your kitchen of ANY fruit left out... the vinegar must be the ONLY thing attracting them)

5. Modern Technology...
medical and otherwise. If you read my request for prayers yesterday then you know that modern medical technology - especially exploratory equipment at the moment - and also world wide communication technology - both are giving me great comfort right now. Email, faxes, and FREE long distance will provide me with information it might have taken me 6 months to obtain not so long ago. And that could make all the difference in the world... it's amazing!

I hope you all have a joyous and blessed week ahead!

13 comment(s):

Isn't this a wonderful time of year! I'm glad your enjoying it.

I have often been thankful for modern technology - it's awesome, when it works! I'm especially glad for copy machines - I don't know if I'd want to be a church secretary if I had to run the bulletin on those old "mimeograph machines!

Hope you hear good news soon on your loved ones medical conditions.

By Blogger Jerralea, at 10/15/2010 12:18 PM  

You are so sweet to send Luz those cards. Her giggles must truly be infectious!
I heartily agree with you on fall weather, bean soup, and modern technology.

No fruit flies here to combat but I've got a Gatorade bottle on the counter with a little bit of soapy water in it, ready to go after the stinkbugs!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2010 12:57 PM  

Melli! I love bean soup. It's about time for me to make some. I'm glad you are getting after those pesky fruit flies. I'll have to remember that next year after we pick our pears...
We've had great walking weather this week, too. enjoy
Little girl giggles are too precious!
Praying your SIL will have the best results for his shoulder.

By Blogger ellen b., at 10/15/2010 1:23 PM  

Oh, I love bean soup! I was raised on it. Unfortunately none of my family likes it! My husband's gotten to where he can tolerate beans in chili, but that's about it. If I lived close enough, I'd invite myself over. :-)

I had never heard you could catch fruit flies that way. That's a handy tip!

Little girl giggles must be one of the best things in life!

Even though I am not an outdoorsy person, this is one time of year I love being outside some. I was just thinking that our family should take a picnic to a park one day here soon.

Amen to #5. Technology has its problems but to me it is more of a blessing. Praying for the situations you mentioned.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2010 2:43 PM  

Your bean soup sounds very yummy ! would be something for my man too !
You are so right with the modern technology. It is really a big help.
I am actually laying in my bed and type on my little notebook and outside it rains !!! I thought of you because it drums on the roof and you like this noise !

By Blogger Ingrid, at 10/15/2010 4:26 PM  

Melli I would love your bean soup, this week I made chili and put as many beans in it as I could find.

Ya, you got to hand it to modern technology it helps when it works.

Glad you are able to walk in your weather, Iknow how hot it can get for you. Today the rain is hitting the window as I type.

Luz sounds like she is liking finding her little cards.

By Blogger Cindy, at 10/15/2010 4:34 PM  

Lovely weather, isn't it? And I have a feeling yours is better than mine right now! (Still a bit warm here...)

Yes, I echo your thanks for modern technology, and I envy those little girl giggles.

So excited to hear you gave one of my books to a boy mom you know. I hope it blesses her. Tell her to email and let me know what she thinks.

I've never noticed Ella before...what's she doing these days?

By Blogger Laura@OutnumberedMom, at 10/15/2010 4:54 PM  

I love your goal to be outside in the perfect air at least twice a week. We would all do well to have that goal. How fun to get to hear little girl giggles. There’s nothing quite like that! Ha, love your fly story.

Just sent up a prayer for your 3 loved one’s health concerns. May they all get good news and restored health soon.

By Blogger Lisa notes..., at 10/15/2010 5:52 PM  

I'd like to see your bean soup recipe - it sounds yummy. I made pumpkin soup this week - it turned out great but I had to add a bit of butter for flavour.

I've tried to catch fruit flies that way too - you must be having better luck than I had. Or maybe I left other fruit out.

Glad you're getting some lovely walking weather - we have it too - of course we have it all summer as well. Not so much in the dead of winter - then I pull out Leslie Sansone.

I missed your post yesterday but I'm saying a prayer right now.

Happy weekend Melli!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2010 8:10 PM  

Luz is the luckiest little girl ever to have a nana; and you're the luckiest nana ever to have a Luz!

I need to walk more. Can't bring myself to do it! Too hot, too cold, too wet ... I need a machine!

By Blogger Charlene Amsden, at 10/16/2010 12:40 AM  

Soup, walking, you name it...yes there are so many fruit flies in my kitchen...Thanks so much for the tip.

By Blogger Marg, at 10/16/2010 2:28 AM  

Hi Melli, how're you doing? Haven't spoken to you in a while... I'll try to keep in touch more often! :)

By Blogger maryt/theteach, at 10/16/2010 11:43 AM  

I love all sorts of bean soups. Last night I made a big pot of lentil soup, a family favorite, with the ham bone left from Thanksgiving. Yum!

I'll have to remember that little trick for fruit flies.

I've been planning on getting out walking regularly too. It's beautiful out here.

By Blogger Susanne, at 10/16/2010 12:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home