Random Dozen - The Late Edition

And thanks to "the other Lid" for this weeks questions!
Most of you will be putting this up tomorrow if you play this game... but I may not be around tomorrow... I might not even be around TODAY... and since this is the first thing I've posted all week, I'm just letting it fly!
1. Do you prefer to read the book or see the movie?
I definitely prefer to read the book. I'm not a movie person AT ALL. I'm not saying I haven't seen a few... I have -- but only about 5 in the past 10 years! I like books because my imagination shows me the story so much better than the movie EVER does... and I can read the book anytime, anywhere... I don't have to SIT in front of the television. (or worse - in a movie theater!) I can SIT on my bike and pedal while I read! Or I can read while I wait in a doctor's office...
2. What is your favorite holiday and why?
I don't know that I really have a favorite anymore. I love Easter because we are celebrating the resurrection of the living Christ -- but I don't love the Easter Bunny and all the HOOPLA that goes along with it. For HOOPLA, I probably actually love Christmas the most - because I am a giver and giving makes me happier than almost anything in the world... but these days I would much rather be giving to the poor and disadvantaged than to anyone in my well cared for family. I still DO... but my heart is not honestly IN it at Christmas time. I prefer to give to my family "as needed" or "desired" throughout the year.
3. Which do you like better - the mountains or the beach?
I love them both - but I am a BEACH girl!
4. If money were no consideration, what vehicle would you drive?
I'd be back in my SUV. I loved my SUV - but I did NOT love filling the gas tank, buying tires for it, or numerous other "maintenance" issues that are more expensive just because it's BIGGER. And let me say - my SUV was a Ford Expedition. I do not need or desire a Lexus or a Denali!
5. What is your favorite cold-weather beverage?
Probably Pumpkin Spice Latte. Or coffee, in general.
6. How do you communicate most often with your friends: phone, email, text, face-to-face, or Facebook?
Most often I am face-to-face and I prefer it that way. I no longer even HAVE a Facebook account. That little item caused more trouble than it was worth! I set it up because my children wanted me to, for the purpose of sharing photos with FAMILY. Then every "friend" on the planet found me and wanted to BE my friend. Well, my account was for FAMILY and so I would reject their requests. Feelings were hurt. Many of them don't read my blog anymore and don't accept that I might not use FB the way THEY do... what a MESS! I got rid of it!
7. How do you receive your mail? Mailbox on the porch, at the end of the driveway, down the street, or post office box?
My mailbox is at the end of my driveway.
8. Of the four basic personality types - sanguine, phlegmatic, melancholic, and choleric - which is your strongest? Which is your least evident? (See definitions below.)
Oh boy... I see a bit of me in all of them... and definite NOT ME things in each of them as well... but I'm going to say I am probably Sanguine, though I am definitely NOT chronically late... and I'm not sure I'm life long friend material either... I guess we'll have to wait until my life is over to see if that has changed... I may have a few that I'll stick with until the end! Mostly I think God puts people in my life for a short time and then moves me on... I know He has his reasons... and maybe some of them will become life long acquaintances...
9. What do you miss the most about being 20?
My energy. Lack of wrinkles. Not much else!
10. How long from the time you get up, does it take you to get ready to walk out the door in the morning?
LOL!!! I am pleading the 5th! You DO understand that on the average day I have absolutely NO reason to even leave my house. I have to INVENT reasons to go out! Right??? On the days when I actually do NEED to be out of the house I can get up and be ready to walk out the door in about 15 minutes. If I have to take MOM we'll make that an hour and half. But on the average day... don't ask!
11. Who handles the car maintenance and pays the bills in your family?
Those are definitely jobs belonging to the MALE adult in my house! I am in charge of spending and giving... He is in charge of earning and paying. I will admit to taking my car through Jiffy Lube on occasion to keep it ... lubed. Other than that - Dennis has "a guy" we use to keep our vehicles maintained. Of course, back in the day HE maintained them himself... but that was before they all went computerized and all...
12. For those in the US, how many states have you visited? For those outside the US, how many provinces/other countries have you visited?
Let's see... Maryland, DC, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado... I think that's about it. Nineteen. How pitiful...
Personality type definitions courtesy Wikipedia:
Sanguine
The Sanguine temperament personality is fairly extroverted. People of a sanguine temperament tend to enjoy social gatherings, making new friends and tend to be quite loud. They are usually quite creative and often daydream. However, some alone time is crucial for those of this temperament. Sanguine can also mean very sensitive, compassionate and thoughtful. Sanguine personalities generally struggle with following tasks all the way through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic. Often, when pursuing a new hobby, interest is lost quickly when it ceases to be engaging or fun. They are very much people persons. They are talkative and not shy. For some people, these are the ones you want to be friends with and usually they become life long friends.
Choleric
A person who is choleric is a doer. They have a lot of ambition, energy, and passion, and try to instill it in others. They can dominate people of other temperaments, especially phlegmatic types. Many great charismatic military and political figures were cholerics. They like to be leaders and in charge of everything.
Melancholic
A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very considerate and get rather worried when they could not be on time for events, melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist. They are often self-reliant and independent; one negative part of being a melancholic is sometimes they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of others.
Phlegmatic
Phlegmatics tend to be self-content and kind. They can be very accepting and affectionate. They may be very receptive and shy and often prefer stability to uncertainty and change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats.







13 comment(s):
#3-you get the beach, I'll take the mountains!
#5- Mmmmmm.... pumpkin spice latte! I haven't had one in YEARS!
#7- Mostly Sanguine (and to my shame, chronically late)
#11- your world and my world are very similar
#12- All 50 of 'em!
By
Anonymous, at
10/20/2010 5:44 PM
I found I was a little bit of each one too. Energy was a good answer, I miss my figure. I agree, I spend and he pays!
By
Debby@Just Breathe, at
10/20/2010 8:54 PM
Facebook (private meaning non-blogging) account keeps me very busy nowadays. Particularly since a college reunion last Friday and the consequent explosion of pictures and comments and re-connected friends! feeling like teenagers in our mature age, lol. But I can see why you were not enjoying it.
Loved reading your answers and the wiki definitions, how true!
Coffee??
By
MaR, at
10/21/2010 1:28 AM
My male has never done this. He earned the money it was put on the bank and I disposed, lol ! For the moment I am in a total black out concerning family, Christmas and all this stuff, I try to get as much of Sunshine and fun !
By
Ingrid, at
10/21/2010 2:26 AM
Oh I wish Hubby would do the bill paying and the filing. Grrrrr! I hate that. But he is good in so many other ways.
By
Maribeth, at
10/21/2010 7:28 AM
I do like your spending/giving vs. earning/paying philosophy : )
I do enjoy going to the movies but typically if its a movie based on a book I'm disappointed. I like the characters to remain in my imagination as I imagined them, not as an actor or actress who I might not think fits the part.
By
Joyce, at
10/21/2010 8:28 AM
I was kind of taken by surprise when I realized that I have barely seen half of the United States! I think we all need to work on this. We have such a wonderful country - we need to see it all!
I like the division of labor in your family, he earns and pays, you spend and give. I like that!
By
Jerralea, at
10/21/2010 10:47 AM
I am with you on the Christmas thing. I was unemployed for almost two years, and the lack of money really hit home. There is a REAL reason for the season, and it's not necessarily about buying the latest electronic or whatnot.
Enjoyed all of your answers!
By
Anonymous, at
10/21/2010 1:11 PM
Enjoyed your answers! I will have to try the stretching thing and see if it helps the knees.
until next time... nel
By
Nel, at
10/21/2010 1:37 PM
I think seeing 19 states is pretty good, not pitiful!
I no longer accept as a friend on FB just everybody I come across -- it takes too much time reading status updates about things I don't care about. I keep in touch with my sisters much more through it than any other means -- they don't write or call. You know, since you want your FB to be just a family thing, you could use a code name or something that only they know but your other friends don't, so then they won't seek you or try to add you as a friend.
By
Anonymous, at
10/21/2010 2:33 PM
BTW -- people who would stop reading your blog because you didn't friend them on Facebook -- well -- that just sounds pretty immature of them to me!
By
Anonymous, at
10/21/2010 2:34 PM
Loved your SUV answer. And I've always thought it was an oxymoron to have a Cadillac or Lexus SUV!
Your answer about getting ready cracked me up. Expecially with the part about "If I have to take MOM we'll make that an hour and half." I'm sure you are talking about your mother, but in nursing, MOM means milk of magnesia, and the thought of that being why you would take more time was too funny!
By
Mocha with Linda, at
10/21/2010 4:32 PM
am partially sanguine and partially phlegmatic -- and we can throw out good portions of both of those descriptions, too. Like you, I don't do late. And I do have some life-long friends, but I have many more who are close friends for awhile and then become fond memories and Christmas card exchanges.
I "get" your Facebook problem. I rarely ever visit my Facebook account. It is just too much trouble and too many people want to send me cutesy virtual trinkets I have no interest in.
By
Charlene Amsden, at
10/21/2010 7:38 PM
Post a comment
<< Home