Friday's Fave Five - The Health Issue
Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts Friday Fave Five in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Thank you Susanne for hosting this inspirational sharing game!
This week I've been reflecting back to things that have changed about my health in the past few years. When I began my blog it was going to be all about my health and regaining it... since that time I have actually LOST all the pounds I started out to lose... unfortunately I only lost HALF of them before I gained them all back and had to re-lose them - so I'm still only not even half way there! None-the-less, I have gained a great deal in the HEALTH department of my life...
1.) I can not remember the last time I've had swollen feet. I can remember VERY WELL how swollen my feet ALWAYS were... and painful. I can remember waking up in the morning and looking at my feet to find that they were STILL swollen from the day before - though not as much as they were the night before. It is such a JOY to get up in the morning and see NORMAL feet at the end of my legs! To be able to HOP out of bed and walk right away without any pain!
2.) Also in the foot department - I have fallen arches... I have had them since I was a small child and they can be very painful even to NOT swollen feet. But THESE shoes...

have made ALL the difference in the world to my healthy feet! I used to not be able to walk more than half a mile (this was AFTER my feet were no longer swollen) because of pain... I'll be walking my 3rd 5k next weekend - and I am LOVIN' these shoes!!! Happy feet make such a huge difference to an overall healthy lifestyle...
3.) Breathing. How important is THAT to our daily existence? My daughter used to complain about my heavy breathing. As a matter of fact, I used to have a really hard time breathing... at night. I had a CPAP because I had sleep apnea... the machine helped me to KEEP breathing through the night. I have not used that CPAP in over 3 years now. Sometimes I forget I ever needed one! Life is GOOD!
4.) Agility. This is the MOST amazing part of my life! Six years ago one shoulder was completely locked up. The other shoulder was well on it's way. I could not raise either arm fully above my head. Washing and brushing my hair had become one of the most painful CHORES I had in my life... and not only THAT... (this is true confessions here... I have NEVER spilled this one before... not on my blog...) ... I was not even able to wipe my own BUTT! Dennis had designed me a tool to help me with that procedure. How SAD is that? So when I say agility... I'm not talking about turning cartwheels... I'm talking about taking care of one's own personal hygiene. After months of PAINFUL stretching, I can remember the day I was able to reach... without my tool ... to wipe myself! It was a JOYOUS day! (is this mOre information than you EVER wanted to know about me?) I don't care... because there are people out there that need to know that THESE problems CAN be overcome! And without a physical therapist...
5.) Overall movement and agility. Once the shoulders had been unlocked - and I had sworn they would NEVER be in that shape again - I realized that life could be a lot better if I could just move more. Do you know that "agility" comes strictly from stretching? You can be the thinnest person on the planet and still not be able to MOVE because... well... because you DON'T move. You don't push your body to move in directions that it's not used to moving. On the same note... I am still almost 100 pounds over-weight but because of STRETCHING faithfully I can climb in and out of pick-up trucks to run a car wash. I can sit on the floor with Luz AND get up without crawling over to a chair or a table to PULL myself up! I can LIVE my life with a little more gusto! I'm probably NOT ever going to turn a cartwheel again... I don't really have the desire to do that! But I had the desire to be able to move normally. I had NO desire to sit back and allow "age" take over and ROB me of my Joy! I still have a bad back... I still have bad knees... I reckon only surgery will ever fix them. But surgery is no longer in my immediate future and it's not even CLOSE to being necessary anymore. WHO would have thought that losing one THIRD of what I need to lose, and some simple stretching could make sO much difference in my life?
Of course, you knOw Who was my rock and my strength... and yes... all glory and honor and PRAISE to my Lord for being there for me and spiritually encouraging me... and hearing me cry! And helping me UP! THANK YOU Lord! Thank you...







20 comment(s):
Melli, you have inspired me to get stretching! I do stretch, but it is to be able to walk each day. My muscles tighten up while I sleep (or drive, or sit). I want more than to be able to walk. I want to be able to MOVE! I hate having to crawl to a chair to get off the floor, so I rarely sit on the floor anymore.
I love it when people talk about real challenges and real victories. Thank you!
By
Anonymous, at
10/22/2010 10:23 AM
Melli that is awesome how you worked so hard to rebuild your health!! Way to go girl!! I bet you feel so MUCH healthier! I have arthritis in both knees due to sports injuries and I have noticed over the years, the more agile, the more I stretch and stay active the less they hurt!! Keep staying active, it does make such a GREAT difference.
Thanks for praying for us, you can email me to find out more, we do need prayer right now!
By
Anonymous, at
10/22/2010 10:54 AM
Wow - you really have worked hard to get healthy!! Way to go!!
You're so right about stretching. We need to keep MOVING - or we will lock up.
Congratulations on 3 (almost) 5k walks - you're an inspiration!
Happy weekend
By
Anonymous, at
10/22/2010 10:58 AM
How inspiring! You know I have lost some of my agility and I have been noticing it lately ... I'm going to start working on stretching. Thanks for sharing!
By the way, I'm proud of the progress you have made, and I know you are going to go all the way!
By
Jerralea, at
10/22/2010 11:18 AM
What wonderful blessings you found looking at your health. I need to approach it from that angle, too, instead of feeling bad about how many things have gone wrong with my body.
I’m very flat-footed, too, so I know that good shoes can really help. Too bad I don’t wear them enough. Ha. I should be smarter than that. Congrats on your 3rd 5K! That’s great! And you are off the CPAP – wow. You do have many wonderful things that have gotten better instead of worse. Praising the Lord with you.
By
Lisa notes..., at
10/22/2010 11:53 AM
Though I enjoy hearing about your health progress, I am glad you've expanded your blog's scope so we have been able to get to know the whole you even more.
This is inspiring. I've been having some trouble with swollen ankles. They are not painful, but my dr. said the swelling did contribute to my getting cellulitis a while back, and she threatened to put me in compression stockings. I cannot even stand the thought of that.
My MIL is getting more and more feeble, and I think it is due more to moving less than to age. Her place does have exercise and stretching sessions, but they are optional and she doesn't go.
I am so thankful for the improvements you've experienced! Keep up the good work! And thanks for sharing even the bathroom issues -- I used to be embarrassed to share certain problems on the TM e-mail list, but it helps to talk to others with the same issues and find ways to handle things.
By
Anonymous, at
10/22/2010 11:56 AM
Hurray for good shoes which really HELP avoid pain! Glad to hear you found some you liked. =)
Have a great weekend!
By
Carrie, at
10/22/2010 12:06 PM
I'm raising my glass to your good health!
This is very encouraging to someone like me who is very lazy with exercise and neglects health from time to time.
Thanks Melli. Hugs!
By
Hazel, at
10/22/2010 12:46 PM
Wow! It sounds like you are getting pretty healthy. isn't it amazing how important stretching is?
By
Hopie, at
10/22/2010 12:54 PM
How encouraging! Great job!! Woohoo!!!!!
By
momma24, at
10/22/2010 3:55 PM
I'm so proud of you my darlin' And stretching is key. I never knew that until I got older. I thought it just a myth. Well it isn't. Keep up the good work and have a great weekend :)
By
Anonymous, at
10/22/2010 4:49 PM
This is a great post. I should print several copies of it. I could paste on on the fridge, one on my CPAP, one on the cupboard door, one in my wallet (when I reach for money to buy soda or other bad stuff).
By
Charlene Amsden, at
10/22/2010 5:08 PM
Wow! What an inspiration this post is. You do have a lot to be thankful for, and you've made incredible strides, Melli.
Thanks so much for sharing ALL of that with us! Happy week ahead to you.
By
Laura@OutnumberedMom, at
10/22/2010 5:18 PM
Having had a frozen shoulder before, I sure know how painful that is. I know how it is and I also know that I am diligent, even now, doing my stretching and exercising.
Do those sneakers really work?
By
Maribeth, at
10/22/2010 7:33 PM
That is just what I've been doing since the broken arm healed enough to not re-break it. It is getting better and flexibility is returning. I can do the spider crawl up the door (fingers are legs and up we go as far as possible) I'm up over the top of the door now. Using a child's ball to roll in a circle with the arm that is affected is a good one, or at least one I like.
I'd had doctors give me the exact same excercises on paper, but never any instruction on how to do them properly. I'd do them and they would hurt and then I'd quit. Now it is much better with guidance and care. I'm so happy for you and your regained flexebility.
I got so tickled at the orthopedist when I saw him the first time...his exact words were we will get her to where she can curl her hair, wipe her ass, and tie her shoes...I think it was. The ass part was pretty much a stopper for me. *L* I only had one arm that was giving me a hard time.
By
Amber Star, at
10/23/2010 1:15 AM
Good for you, Melli!! you are truly an inspiration. I have heard wonders about those shoes too! Have a fantastic weekend.
By
MaR, at
10/23/2010 2:24 AM
Just stopping in from Gattina's after visiting with Thom....I noticed you at both with their comments...wanted to say "HI" to you. Or should I say "BOO"? As in Halloween, not the cheer.
LOL
By
Hootin Anni, at
10/23/2010 6:01 AM
What an inspiration you are! I used to stretch all the time and in the last few years got out of the habit. You have inspired me to get right back to it. You go girl!
By
Susanne, at
10/23/2010 11:26 AM
You are so right ! 4 years ago I was as stiff as a stick. Since I started Yoga where a lot of stretching is included, and I do half an hour exercise every morning even in my bed, now I can bent and get up and jump like a kangaroo and I am not stiff anymore. Nothing hurts and I feel much better !
By
Ingrid, at
10/23/2010 12:38 PM
Oh Melli. I'm so glad you are chronicling it all -- the ups, the downs, the struggles, and the triumphs. I'm so pleased to hear that you are off the CPAP -- my parents are about to go on it after being diagnosed with sleep apnea.
By
Anonymous, at
10/25/2010 1:05 AM
Post a comment
<< Home