It's ALL In The Name....
A Texas friend of mine was relaying to me some of the ... um ... more unusual city names in the great state of Texas last night. It was a rather long list, so I won't share the whole thing here... I'll just mention a few of my favorites. Several towns were named for food... you could live in Noodle, TX ... or Oatmeal, TX. Some folks wish they lived in another country - so they live in Egypt, TX ... or Athens, TX ... or even Paris, TX. I know of at least ONE person (several actually) who hails from Texas that had HOPED to reside in Washington, DC -- and thus the town of Whitehouse, TX! Not to get too political, but another town is named Kilgore. Hmmm... wonder who lives there... My personal favorite though was Ding Dong, TX! If you click the link you can actually read about how THIS little (itty bitty teensy weensy) town GOT it's name! I think I have decided to move there!However... while I was researching Ding Dong, I learned (in that article actually) that Texas does not actually hold the record for the "weirdest of all" city names. That honor goes to the home state of another good friend of mine! Jen? Don't YOU hail from TENNESSEE? Well, congratulations to you!!! Tennessee is home to such popular towns as Sweetlips, Gizzard's Cove, Bucksnort, and.... my absolute favorite - Suck Egg Hollow!!! Sorry... it won't keep me away from Ding Dong though!
I'm really feeling kind of jipped now. I've been trying to find some really fun places to live in Maryland... but the best I could find was maybe Accident. I'm not sure ANYone would want to live there though! We do have a Hollywood though! It's actually not far from me...
My good friend Lazy Daisy had her picture taken next to a city sign in Daisy, GA! I looked around and found a Daisy, Arkansas (Pike County) and a Daisy, New York (Ulster County) too! Tennessee has a Soddy-Daisy -- but MY Daisy is anything BUT soddy! How dare they!? I guess Daisy's got some traveling to do now....
I did a search to see if there were any towns named after my people... Dennis gets a town in Massachusettes, a township in New Jersey, and a city in Texas! (Texas is big - it's to be expected...) My Amanda has a township in Ohio. Mathew got a township in South Dakota and a county in VA. Krysti came up blank -- but if we would change her spelling she could have Christy, Illinois! Too bad... Derek also came up blank. I thought that was odd since we actually spelled his name normal!!! LOL! Poor boy. Then I went looking for ME! Can you believe that in this whole big HUGE United States there is not ONE county, town, city or township named Melli??? Geeeeez ... do these people not KNOW??? Get me my Congressman! Get me the PRESIDENT! .... I want MY picture taken next to a city sign. *pout* I think I'll just change my name to Ding Dong!!!







13 comment(s):
Well, you know I read the list she shared with us yesterday, and my favorite is OATMEAL Texas....why even their town's water tank is shaped like a cylinder tube [is there any other kinda tube?] that juts upwards, and they have it painted like an oatmeal box!!! Seriously!!
She instigated a lot of research, she did!! Great post Melli. And I'll let you have the Ding Dong...way too much for my tastes. LOLOLOL
Funny, talking about food stuffs here...I posted about peas porridge this morning.
By
Hootin Anni, at
7/30/2007 7:45 AM
My godness Melli, I guess you have not enough work that's why you look for cities like Ding Dong ! I can tell you there are about 50 Waterloos in the States ! When I sign a guest book on a blog I am automatically living in Waterloo /Illinois ! I would like to live in Sweetlips and kiss me through the population ! I wonder if the cowboy's big love really had sweet lips or rather a mustache?
By
Ingrid, at
7/30/2007 9:03 AM
Ah Dear friend, I'm just one Daisy in a field of thousands...whereas you my dear are unique. There are no other Melli's because Melli is not a place but a person. Those of us that are privileged to know you know that where ever you are will be fun and an adventure.
By
Lazy Daisy, at
7/30/2007 9:13 AM
In Georgia, we have names of communities like Cumming, Between, Climax, Chickasawhatchee, Enigma, Hopeulikit, Jinks, Santa Claus, Snapfinger, Talking Rock, Hawaii Papa, Idaho Beer Bottle Crossing, Fruitland, Star. :-)
By
Judy, at
7/30/2007 9:17 AM
Yea, Daisy's right! BUT, when I read that you'd change your name to Ding Dong, I laughed out loud!!!! I thought...that fits! I mean, after all, anyone who climbs into shopping carts, onto monuments and on top of her SUV coming out of a car wash...the name Ding Dong is perfect.
WE LOVE YOU MELLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By
Unknown, at
7/30/2007 10:10 AM
There is a DENNIS, Mass.. On Cape Cod, too!
Ding Dong is a hoot! I know there are so very many great names of towns throughout the United States....I LOVE that you did all this research. I grew up on GREAT NECK, which was right mext door to LITTLE NECK...!
Now you've got me thinking about all this, Melli....
ANGELS, Pa. Sweet name, isn't it?
Hummingbirds: Well I think it is mating season, too, because when these birds come to the Agave Flowers they often come in two's and there is a lot of chasing...but you know it is not angry chasing..It looks like a Mating Dance, to me...! I just cannot believe the number of Hummingbirds that coke to this plant....And it'sd all day, every day, while it is in this intense flowering period...! AMAZING little birds.
By
OldLady Of The Hills, at
7/30/2007 12:13 PM
Melli -- uhm, some of us already call you Ding Dong ....
just kidding!
By
Anonymous, at
7/30/2007 2:20 PM
Well what a post!! I agree with Beckie and Daisy that there is only 1 Melli and so NO County, or City that could be Named that!!
Hubby and I used t live in Normal, Illinois and people would ask us how normal were we!! smile...Also hubby is from Paris, Illinois. I used to tell people that my boyfriend was from Paris...Course they would ask France..I would say..Oh sure..of course!!
As for my name..Sandy..there are a lot of towns with that name. I see them all of the time. Guess I am popular but you are just our friend....Sandy
By
Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at
7/30/2007 3:14 PM
I sure did like your post!! This is great!
About 60 miles from where I live here in Missouri is a town called Peculiar!!
Not to far from my son Bill's home is Tight Wad, Missouri But I think Ding Dong is the best! Love Ya, Melli
By
Talk..to..Grams, at
7/30/2007 7:18 PM
These towns were named after you Melli:
Allgood, AL
Cool, TX
Happy, TX
Hoop and Holler, TX
Looneyville, TX
Love, IL
Love Ladies, NJ
Niceville, FL
By
Unknown, at
7/30/2007 7:41 PM
I think we need to change that. I'm sure there's room for a Melli in many states. By the way, there's a Matt, Georgia. I took a picture of it for "my" Matt.
You crack me UP!! I needed to read this post today.
:-) Susan
By
Susan, at
7/30/2007 9:46 PM
Melli, my momma was raised in Bell Buckle and one of my good friends lives in Ootlewah. Bucksnort's not too far from here :) I love those funny town names!! I know there are more around here but I'm too lazy to look them up tonight!!
I don't know of any Jennifers, either...where are you looking this stuff up?
Love you!! :)
By
Jennifer, at
7/31/2007 12:34 AM
Don't worry Melli: at least you have a BANK, a whole one!!!
By
MaR, at
7/31/2007 4:07 AM
Post a comment
<< Home