Easter Memories... a day late.

Yesterday Sandy & Daisy both posted pictures and thoughts on Easter's past. I just had to jump on the band wagon today! So after searching high and low I finally came up with an incredibly BAD photo of darling ME at 3 years old. No... I wasn't that tall -- my mother just bought my dress 3 sizes to small to show off my adorable legs!!! Actually... she probably made the dress - but I don't know that for sure! But I DO remember that Easter was always about dressing up... frilly dresses, lacy socks, white gloves, fancy bonnets and patent leather shoes! Sometimes white... sometimes black. I'm thinking Easter must have been pretty early in 1960 too - because my shoes were black that year! Probably left-over from Christmas! It appears I also had a little black patent leather handbag - and the sash was more than likely black velvet!
Our Easter's always began with Church! We did see our baskets before we left for church -- but the egg hunt was AFTER church! And... living in Washington, D.C. ... I do remember a time or two getting to go down to the White House on Easter Monday for the Easter Egg ROLL! Yes! Back then I don't think they even DID an egg HUNT -- maybe they did... but what I remember is the Egg ROLL! We would take some our REAL hard cooked and dyed Easter eggs with us - and we would ROLL them across the lawn at the White House -- playing different games. The gist of it though, was to try to get your egg all the way across the fastest - but without breaking it!!! It was great fun! I don't remember if there were prizes or not... there might have been - but maybe I never won! I don't know. I just knew it was FUN! Now-a-days they use plastic eggs and I guess no one's break! It's all changed -- now they have SO many people that show up for the event that they have to assign time slots and do it in shifts. But when I was a kid, it was just a ONE time deal! If you weren't there on time, ya missed it!







8 comment(s):
How about a memory fo this Easter? OC played trumpet for a local mega church and was in rehearsal ALL DAY Saturday (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.), then at 6 they had the Saturday night service.
He didn't do the Sunday services. We attended our own church, worshiped,then had breakfast with the congregation. After we went home for naps, then spent the afternoon and early evening at a pool party/barbecue.
By
Anonymous, at
3/25/2008 1:54 PM
What a cutie patootie! And funny, I thought "she looks tall for being only 3". So funny your mom did that on purpose.
My dad would always buy all the girls and Easter corsage, which is what I remember about Easters past.
PS: On Thursday, I'll be posting a pic of me and the BF from Costa Rica. The update is that we're celebrating our 1 year of dating in April.
By
Carmen, at
3/25/2008 2:58 PM
Awww...look at you Miss Cute Thing. Is this the reason you like wearing shorts now?
By
Lazy Daisy, at
3/25/2008 5:11 PM
Thanks for following up on Daisy's and my post!! It just popped into my head that things just do not seem to be the same any longer for us anyway!! i do remember those days with a great fondness. My grandmother usually bought us the clothes as my folks could not afford it. What fun...Sandy
You are so cute!!
By
Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess, at
3/25/2008 5:40 PM
Looks like you had a proper Easter Melli
By
Unknown, at
3/25/2008 10:23 PM
Ah ! that's funny I did these egg games too when I was a child ! The winner was who had the most unbroken eggs and he got all the other eggs if I remember well. In Belgium they didn't know this use but I introduced it to my son and his little friends and they had so much fun !! Today here children do it too and every village or city here around organizes egg hunting for children. Real eggs !
I remember that I also was dressed up like a doll for Easter (and always on sundays, I was my mother's Barbie) but we never went to church. My grandpa used to hide the eggs so well that I sometimes found one the year after, lol !
By
Ingrid, at
3/26/2008 2:39 AM
Aww, very cute picture and sweet memories, Melli!!
By
MaR, at
3/26/2008 6:48 AM
I remember when little girls' dresses were way short like that. I'm glad that has changed!! It must have been a lot of fun to go to the White House for an egg hunt back then. It would be way too crowded and busy for me now.
By
Anonymous, at
3/27/2008 9:44 AM
Post a comment
<< Home